Wireless Router strong signal but intermittent. (1 Viewer)

dt01pqt

Certified
Local time
Today, 08:36
I have Linksys Wireless G and Netgear Wireless PCI's. I have just set them up. I get a strong signal most of the time then all of a sudden it cuts on-off-on-off. This usually takes 10 minutes to latch back on. When it is on the signal is on is normally around 90%. I have tried setting it up on channels 11 and 3. Any ideas?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Could be numerous things but some ideas:

Interference - do you have any other devices near the router (cordless phone, psu's etc?)

Driver/ firmware issues - see if there are any updates for the box

A lurker ! - do you have all the security features turned on ? as someone else could be using your bandwidth - see this guide

BTW Everybody who has a wireless network should do all the above steps, a friend of mine got one and he can pickup about 4 networks in his block of flats all of which are unprotected :eek:

Also have you noticed if there is any pattern to when the dropouts occur ?

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:36
Some very good points in that artical.

Alastair

dt01pqt

Certified
Local time
Minkey said:
Could be numerous things but some ideas:

Interference - do you have any other devices near the router (cordless phone, psu's etc?)

It is under a phone/fax. The phone line out of the filter is then split between the phone/fax and another phone line which goes upstairs to a cordless phone. However I have tested it without the phone lines plugged in.

Driver/ firmware issues - see if there are any updates for the box
Will do.

A lurker ! - do you have all the security features turned on ? as someone else could be using your bandwidth - see this guide
I use WPA-PSK predefined word phrase. Private key encyption is the strongest by definition. I also deny any computers not on my list.

Also have you noticed if there is any pattern to when the dropouts occur?
Random only once today, and several times yesterday. It last for around ten minutes. There is a ‘Wanadoo’ connection on channel 1 which is constant.

Last edited:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:36
Your Linksys router is using 2.4 ghz and so does many cordless phones. You need to keep playing with the Wireless Channel settings [you have 11 choices] until you find one that nobody else is using and that inlcudes all nearby cordless phones and wireless networks.

I just installed my first home wireless network using Linksys products and it was confusing at first but I finally got it straight with all the settings and security. You can call or chat with the Linksys support folks and they are helpfull. I suggest you call them in the early morning for the least wait time.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
ghudson said:
You can call or chat with the Linksys support folks and they are helpfull.
Really? We had a Linksys router a couple years ago. It worked great for myabe 3-6 months and then just stopped working period. We changed nothing, but the router wouldn't recognize anything no matter what we tried. So we figured it simply died and got another one, this time wireless. Same thing happened. I called support, explained the situation. They said, "The router does not work with T1 connections (since that's what our building is wired with)." I explained that it had been working just fine and then stopped. It clearly does work, but something is causeing a problem. Their response? "The router does not work with T1 connections."

I'll never buy Linksys again.

dt01pqt

Certified
Local time
ghudson said:
Your Linksys router is using 2.4 ghz and so does many cordless phones. You need to keep playing with the Wireless Channel settings [you have 11 choices] until you find one that nobody else is using and that inlcudes all nearby cordless phones and wireless networks.
Good advice. I have 13 choices. It is now on 13 and it has been going ok touch wood. I think it might have been the cordless phone like you say because when it is on it is nearly always 100%

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:36
glad to hear you got it working

dt01pqt

Certified
Local time
ghudson said:
glad to hear you got it working
Spoke too soon. I put it on channel 6 and it is working for now. There are around 4 wireless users I have detected in this neighbourhood I have filtered most of the mac addresses. Normally some interference wouldn’t cause a digital device to cut out it would just move on to the next instruction. Though it has to cut out if a private key request is not understood for obvious reasons. No doubt it would work if If turn security off but I can’t do that. One suggestion is to lower the power though this only a good idea if the interference source is further away than the desired device. Getting on my nerves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom