Solved Yearss (1 Viewer)

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:20
I guess what is left is now me, myself and I alone. Thanks πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
Hi Mercy

Can you give me a list of the actual Grade names rather than using Grade 1 - 6

Mercy Mercy

Local time
Today, 14:20
GRADES- STANDARD ONE.
STANDARD TWO.
STANDARD THREE.
STANDARD FOUR
STANDARD FIVE.
STANDARD SIX

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
GRADES- STANDARD ONE.
STANDARD TWO.
STANDARD THREE.
STANDARD FOUR
STANDARD FIVE.
STANDARD SIX
I thought you said previously that grades equate to Kindergarden, Primary , Secondary??

Mercy Mercy

Local time
Kindergarten- PP1.
PP2.
PRIMARY- GRADE 1
GRADE 2
GRADE 3
GRADE 4
GRADE 5
GRADE 6
SECONDARY- GRADE 7
GRADE 8
GRADE 9

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
HI mercy

See if this is what you are after. It is very rough.

Attachments

• STUDENTS and TEACHERS.zip
    68.8 KB · Views: 73

Mercy Mercy

Local time
HI mercy

See if this is what you are after. It is very rough.
It works but how do you relate Examination type like
EXAMINATION TYPE.
ASSESSMENT 1
ASSESSMENT 2
ASSESSMENT 3
ALL I NEED IS REFERENTIAL INTEGRITY.

Thanks for going an extra mile. I appreciate.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
It works but how do you relate Examination type like
EXAMINATION TYPE.
ASSESSMENT 1
ASSESSMENT 2
ASSESSMENT 3
ALL I NEED IS REFERENTIAL INTEGRITY.

Thanks for going an extra mile. I appreciate.
In Each Term you have a specific set of Subjects.

What is your process of Students sitting Examinations?

Mercy Mercy

Local time
All students taking those subjects are subjected to the same exams every week.

@mike60smart I have liked your database. Exactly what I needed. Now I am trying to assign the students the dormitory to sleep in. The dormitory should have a teacher being in charge. Just kindly assist me with the relationship.

Your database works fine πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
All students taking those subjects are subjected to the same exams every week.

@mike60smart I have liked your database. Exactly what I needed. Now I am trying to assign the students the dormitory to sleep in. The dormitory should have a teacher being in charge. Just kindly assist me with the relationship.

Your database works fine πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
How many Students are allowed in each Dormitory?

Mercy Mercy

Local time
Well we have the following dormitories
LION. - 50 STUDENTS
HYENA. - 56 STUDENTS
ELEPHANT. - 60 STUDENTS
GAZELLE - 45 STUDENTS

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:20
@mike60smart I guess you didn't read my comment about the schema. Your solution is incorrect. Either YearTermID, GradeID, and StreamID belong in tblStudents (which I don't recommend) OR you remove StudentID from tblTermStreams and make a junction table so that the termstream can have MULTIPLE students, not just ONE. You also have no connection between Students and TermSubjects. Plus, I'm not sure it shouldn't be Stream subjects instead. I don't know if you asked that question. In any event, Mark doesn't belong in tblTermSubjects (or tblTermStreamsSubjects if that turns out to be where subjects are connected). You need anther junction table to connect students to subjects and that's where the examination types connects, so we have another three column junction. Subjects, Examination, and Student with ancillary data for the grade the student achieved.

And finally, the frmYears doesn't have any validation so it allows incomplete/invalid records to be saved.

Mercy Mercy

Local time
@mike60smart I guess you didn't read my comment about the schema. Your solution is incorrect. Either YearTermID, GradeID, and StreamID belong in tblStudents (which I don't recommend) OR you remove StudentID from tblTermStreams and make a junction table so that the termstream can have MULTIPLE students, not just ONE. You also have no connection between Students and TermSubjects. Plus, I'm not sure it shouldn't be Stream subjects instead. I don't know if you asked that question. In any event, Mark doesn't belong in tblTermSubjects (or tblTermStreamsSubjects if that turns out to be where subjects are connected). You need anther junction table to connect students to subjects and that's where the examination types connects, so we have another three column junction. Subjects, Examination, and Student with ancillary data for the grade the student achieved.

And finally, the frmYears doesn't have any validation so it allows incomplete/invalid records to be saved.
Kindly I beg you to assist me with your sample database. Thanks in advance. I am really really really really begging you. Please. It is a humble request.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Mike did a great deal of work for you. We are not here to do your work for you. We are here to help you to help yourself. If you don't understand any of what I said, you might want to do some searching and read about database normalization and many-many relationships which you have.

tblTermStreams defines a stream. tblStudents defines a student. You need a junction table to connect a student to tblTermStreams if there is a m-m. OR, if a student belongs to a single stream, then on reflection, you should remove studentID from tblStreams and move tblStreamsID to the student table. But having StudentID in tblTermStreams is definitely wrong.

Here's a sample that shows how a m-m relationship works. You can start with that.

Mercy Mercy

Local time
Mike did a great deal of work for you. We are not here to do your work for you. We are here to help you to help yourself. If you don't understand any of what I said, you might want to do some searching and read about database normalization and many-many relationships which you have.

tblTermStreams defines a stream. tblStudents defines a student. You need a junction table to connect a student to tblTermStreams if there is a m-m. OR, if a student belongs to a single stream, then on reflection, you should remove studentID from tblStreams and move tblStreamsID to the student table. But having StudentID in tblTermStreams is definitely wrong.

Here's a sample that shows how a m-m relationship works. You can start with that.
Thank God we have @mike60smart and @arnelgp in this forum. They are doing good work and many people appreciate their efforts. If you really wanted to help me you would have screenshot your schema.!!!!

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It isn't MY schema. It is YOUR schema and how hard is removing a column from one table and adding a column to a different table? The relationship between the two tables is backwards. I even used YOUR column and table names. Come on now, really. Me making that change doesn't teach you anything. It simply makes you dependent on us doing your work for you. You need to put some effort into this. I also gave you an opportunity to clarify your thinking and specification since the schema is different if a student can belong to more than one stream. So, now I have to make TWO pictures and a picture isn't going to help you. You need to look at your data and see which schema is correct for your situation.

As long as @mike60smart and @arnelgp feel the need to build things for you when you won't put out effort or clarify your intent, they are welcome to you:)

Last edited:

Mercy Mercy

Local time
It isn't MY schema. It is YOUR schema and how hard is removing a column from one table and adding a column to a different table? The relationship between the two tables is backwards. I even used YOUR column and table names. Come on now, really. Me making that change doesn't teach you anything. It simply makes you dependent on us doing your work for you. You need to put some effort into this. I also gave you an opportunity to clarify your thinking and specification since the schema is different if a student can belong to more than one stream. So, now I have to make TWO pictures and a picture isn't going to help you. You need to look at your data and see which schema is correct for your situation.

As long as @mike60smart and @arnelgp feel the need to build things for you when you won't put out effort or clarify your intent, they are welcome to you:)
@Pat Hartman I used @mike60smart database by slightly changing his idea by creating the main form- from tblstudents. With that I have several subforms:-
1. tbltermstreams.
2. tblyearterms.
3. tbltermsubjects.

In tbltermsubjects I am able to use teacherID to show a certain teacher teaches a certain subject based on subjectID.

I was waiting for @mike60smart to assist me create referential integrity between subjectID and ExaminationtypeID and also assist me create referential integrity between students and dormitory and teachers. He was doing good work before you rudely interrupted him with your new referential integrities theoretically and with no practicality!!!!!! If only you could screenshot your referential integrities, it could be of great importance.
In any case I was able to create queries from @mike60smart idea and it worked. I wanted to use your idea of having another junctions especially on putting mark on a new junction called tblexaminationsubjects but there is an issue in relationship. I was not asking so much from you. Only you assist me with data relationships practically.

Though I am still new in access I am not that stupid. At least I am able to create forms and reports and macros and modules.
I only have a problem with referential integrities.!!!!!!!!

Thanks @mike60smart and @arnelgp

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
He was doing good work before you rudely interrupted him with your new referential integrities theoretically and with no practicality!!!!!!
You're pretty new here. Yes mike was helping you. I'm pretty sure he didn't stop helping you. I'm sure he'll be back You may not realize that none of us gets paid to help you and we don't spend 24/7 sitting here waiting for you to ask a new question. We have lives and we have work that we actually get paid to do so most of us don't let our free contributions interfere with that. Sometimes, you might have to wait a day or two for a response.

As a beginner, it is very helpful to attempt to help someone else. Mike is teaching himself Access by helping others. It is also kind and generous and I would never want to discourage him from using problems such as yours as a learning experience. But, the design was flawed and I pointed that out. Maybe you think that it is rude to point out errors but maybe mike appreciated it. It wasn't an opinion I was offering, it was a declarative statement. If I say "this is wrong", there is an excellent chance that I am correct. But, I didn't know exactly what was right since I am not omniscient, only that what you had at that point was wrong. How did I know that - EXPERIENCE! Years of it. It wasn't clear to me exactly what was right because I don't know what your specific requirements are or I would have been more forthcoming with a clear solution. I did offer THREE possibilities. But, instead of reading what I wrote and taking it at face value and trying to clarify, you elected to criticize me for not providing a written solution and what was really upsetting to you was that I didn't respond fast enough(n)
Though I am still new in access I am not that stupid. At least I am able to create forms and reports and macros and modules.
Sometimes we just don't know what we don't know:)

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
@Pat Hartman I used @mike60smart database by slightly changing his idea by creating the main form- from tblstudents. With that I have several subforms:-
1. tbltermstreams.
2. tblyearterms.
3. tbltermsubjects.

In tbltermsubjects I am able to use teacherID to show a certain teacher teaches a certain subject based on subjectID.

I was waiting for @mike60smart to assist me create referential integrity between subjectID and ExaminationtypeID and also assist me create referential integrity between students and dormitory and teachers. He was doing good work before you rudely interrupted him with your new referential integrities theoretically and with no practicality!!!!!! If only you could screenshot your referential integrities, it could be of great importance.
In any case I was able to create queries from @mike60smart idea and it worked. I wanted to use your idea of having another junctions especially on putting mark on a new junction called tblexaminationsubjects but there is an issue in relationship. I was not asking so much from you. Only you assist me with data relationships practically.

Thanks @mike60smart and @arnelgp
As Pat says we all try to help each other. I don't mind being told when I am wrong as I am still learning at 77 years old.

The attached is a redesigned Structure which may still be wrong.
You can select the Year
Then select the Required Term
Select or enter a Student
Then select the Subject
Last but not least Enter Weeks & Examination Types.

Let us know if this covers your process or if we are way off the mark.

Attachments

• STUDENTS and TEACHERS.zip
    169.4 KB · Views: 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom