Yet another Merging Question (Word not involved) (1 Viewer)

A

Ashtex

Hello,
I'm trying to find a way to take two tables in different databases with same fields and similar records (one table may have more records than the other)... Importing the table to the other database was a short breeze, but now I need to merge those two tables together replacing any null fields with fields that are filled for that record in the other table.

I realize this may best be handled in VBA Script and I'm not intimidated by that, but unfortunately I'm still kind of ignorant when it comes to VBA Syntax.

Code:
Here is an Example of what I have (NOT REALLY CODE)
TABLE 1
==========
[   FIRSTNAME   ][   LASTNAME   ][   PHONE   ][   ADDRESS   ]
|JOE            ||SCHMOE        ||           ||1234 WAY     |

|SALLY          ||              ||987-6543   ||9876 WAY     |

TABLE 2
===========
|               ||SCHMOE        ||123-4567   ||1234 WAY     |

|SALLY          ||FIELDS        ||           ||9876 WAY     |

Here is an Example of the Results I'm trying to get
MERGED TABLE
===========
|JOE            ||SCHMOE        ||123-4567   ||1234 WAY     |

|SALLY          ||FIELDS        ||987-6543   ||9876 WAY     |

Knowing my luck with searching, there is probably already a thread out there with very well thought out detailed steps on how to do this, and I've typed in all the wrong words to find it. A link would be much appreciated in this scenario, however, should a thread not have this information, a response would be duely appreciated...

Heh Thanks Guys, Sorry for being a Newb

Ashtex (Studying to be a DBA):)

Surjer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:38
search for "update" query in Access Help. Should find your answer...

bat1799

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:38
I think that because of the incompleteness of the data you are going to have problems.
I would work first on reducing the number of records you have to vet by matching all fields and deleting those that match form the smaller table.

How well formed are the address fields between the tables? will you have St in one and Street in the other?

I would keep trying to reduce the data, first by matching on all fields but phone, that should let you update data where only phone numbers are missing

in the end though you will probably have to go through by hand and correct the data.

Not much help I know:(

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom