Your favorite software or app at the moment? (1 Viewer)

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:18
Hello there guys,

Im making a survey study regarding the use of famous apps or software. What is your favorite one and why is it your favorite app or software? Advantages and disadvantages of it?

Hoping to hear from you guys. Big thanks!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:18
I really like Screencast-O-Matic I use it for creating videos demonstrating how to solve particular problems in MS Access.

I also use it to communicate with my customers, I can compose a video explanation of where I am with particular coding tasks.

My customer can use the free version of screencast-o-matic to provide me with videos explaining what they require, much easier than long drawn-out Skype sessions or endless emails. I use screencast-o-matic to demonstrate the software to a customer without the risks associated with releasing my work.

Last edited:

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Oh. Thanks for sharing. Though, how does it handle private details like email add of your customers? I worry that the app may have access on it and sell it to other parties. Have you encountered such?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
how does it handle private details like email add of your customers?

It runs on your PC, so its up to you who you share or don't share with.

If you want to make a video public you can upload it to YouTube with basically one click. If you want to share a video privately, you can upload it to your Google Drive, from here you have complete control who you share it to. If you're absolutely paranoid about the internet, then don't put the video anywhere on the internet, just keep it on your hard drive and email it as and when.

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
It runs on your PC, so its up to you who you share or don't share with.

If you want to make a video public you can upload it to YouTube with basically one click. If you want to share a video privately, you can upload it to your Google Drive, from here you have complete control who you share it to. If you're absolutely paranoid about the internet, then don't put the video anywhere on the internet, just keep it on your hard drive and email it as and when.
I've already installed it and it works great. Though, how long can you record a video? Is there a max time? I'm planning to record a 30 minute video though I'm not sure if it can hold.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It used to be 15 minutes maximum for the free version, but the paid version is only a few dollars a year.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:18
Probably not what you are looking for, but my favorite app is YouTube! I prefer it to television and I have learned how to do everything from SQL Connection strings to building a swing set for my granddaughter.

If you wanted to keep it to apps used for production/work related activity, I use Snag-It daily and it is a real time-saver and has some really cool features.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I use Snag-It

I had snag-it but somehow I've lost my licence!

One of the best features of snag-it and I've never found anything else that could do it; is you could give a picture the appearance of a torn piece of paper around the edges. I really loved that!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I really like Screencast-O-Matic I use it for creating videos demonstrating how to solve particular problems in MS Access.

I also use it to communicate with my customers, I can compose a video explanation of where I am with particular coding tasks.

My customer can use the free version of screencast-o-matic to provide me with videos explaining what they require, much easier than long drawn-out Skype sessions or endless emails. I use screencast-o-matic to demonstrate the software to a customer without the risks associated with releasing my work.
I currently do not need this but it is good to know for future reference. I don't know which one Philipp Stiefel (Codekabinett.com) uses but it is impressive with the cursor highlighter and Picture-in-a-Picture (PIP) feature.

Here is a link to an example.

EDIT: Looking at his video, his taskbar says he is using OBS Studio.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I had snag-it but somehow I've lost my licence!

One of the best features of snag-it and I've never found anything else that could do it; is you could give a picture the appearance of a torn piece of paper around the edges. I really loved that!
Agreed. I use it, the magnifying glass and cut-out features for the User Manuals I am developing...the clients love it and think I am a genius. Somehow I have migrated from Access Developer to Desktop Publisher - good thing the pay assuages my bruised ego...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Creating manuals does not devalue you or your work. Creating manuals that are useful to people, is a skill in itself, a skill that very few people have.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Has anyone upgraded to Windows 21H1 yet? I decided to do a fresh install this time instead of upgrading over the old build. So far I haven't experienced any bugs. The theme they used on mine was a light blue, I kind of like it. It's really starting to feel like an app rather than a heavy OS we are used to.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
my favorite app is YouTube! I prefer it to television
We were sure happy once we stopped channel surfing in vain, hoping to catch Rick Steves shows, and just hooked up his YT channel already. The quick way to get content for sure!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The question does not appear to be limited to the PC platform, so ....
Android Auto.
We also "cut the cord", so we are using a Roku/Hulu combination.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Android Auto is the best thing since sliced white bread...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm pretty curious about how Microsoft's new FLUID content will work ... Boy, will that be weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom