Locking down Access '07 (1 Viewer)

sstasiak

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:15
So with the help of many of you on this site, I was able to build my first Access database. Thank you all.

Now that I'm all done, I have one final thing to figure out.

I have incorporated user authentication into the database for a minimal level of security. Everything finally works like it should, however there is one "flaw" I have found.

In "Access Options" I have the login form set to open when the DB is open, and navigation and ribbon/toolbars are deactivated so only the login form and "Home" ribbon are showing when the DB is opened.

The problem with this, is that a curious user that shouldn't have access could get access fairly easily.

If they right clicked the "Home" ribbon, then left clicked "Customize Quick Access Toolbar", they could change the default form to whatever they wanted. Thus bypassing the login form and nullifying any security that it offered. Ideally, there should be no ribbons or toolbars. I just don't know how to get rid of them.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 12:15
Do these problems present themselves when creating an MDE file? You might get around SOME of these limitations by using one, but I'm not completely sure.

sstasiak

Registered User.
Local time
Bob

Even after I create the .accde file(equivelent to MDE in Access 2007), these issues are still present.

In "Access Options", I go into the "Current Database" settings, and disable "Allow Full Menus". That removes the "Access Options" button from the Office button menu, but a user could still get to the options by right clicking the "Home" ribbon or the Office button and selecting "Customize Quick Access Toolbar". So the fact that the button is removed from the Office menu doesn't mean anything if the user can still get to it in a round about way.

I think the only way to get around this, is to apply some code that will completely hide the access window when the db is opened. That way, only the forms will be visible, and there isn't an option to right click ANYTHING.

I've seen code to do this in Access 2003, but not for 2007.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 12:15
Yeah, all of this is pretty new, so you'll probably be the expert soon for us.

sstasiak

Registered User.
Local time
I finally found a solution to my problem.

After I converted the db to .accdb, I changed the extension to .accdr. This opens the database using the runtime switch. This eliminates ALL toolbars, right clicks, etc.

rotcod

Local time
I agree, sstasiak, the accdr solution really works. One problem I HAVE encountered, though - & I'm soliciting ANY assistance you may be able to provide.

I built a MACRO, based on a PIVOT CHART, so that numerical/tally reports can be displayed right from the Switchboard... when I've got the DB in accdb format, it displays that report just fine - BUT, when I convert it to accdr & the user opens it in RUNTIME, that report will not display.. a POPUP appears, but there's no error message.

Has anyone run across this already, & if so, have you come up with a solution?

dbake

Local time
Today, 14:15
toolbar removal

Did you ever figure out a sure fire solution for this problem. i am having the exact same issue i found in a few help files about writing a VB or Macro that starts up and removes tool bar, but as of this time im still unable to get the VB or Macro to fire on startup, if you have found a way could you please inform me thanks alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom