European Diaspora (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 23:52
The European invasion of North America started in 1492, ....
In retrospect one could claim that an "invasion" occurred in 1492. But there is an alternative viewpoint, that Columbus could be considered the leading edge of European refugees. We seem to forget that the Muslims nearly overran Europe.

While Spain was able to kick-out the Moors in 1492, Constantinople fell in 1453 and the Muslims made steady progress into Eastern Europe until the Battle of Vienna in July 1683.

As for Russia, the Mongol Empire dissolved may have dissolved in 1368, but the Grand Duchy of Moscow apparently did not gain full independence until 1480.

One could say that the countries of Western Europe were relatively weak around 1500 and the population of Western Europe was on the verge of a diaspora to America. Western Europe, may have emerged as a set of powerful countries, but it has left Eastern Europe, in a sense, "orphaned".

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:52
To classify the European invaders as refugees is ridiculous. They murdered and plundered their way across both the Americas with zero concern for the existing people and cultures.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
To classify the European invaders as refugees is ridiculous. They murdered and plundered their way across both the Americas with zero concern for the existing people and cultures.

I don't remember it starting out that way though. The people who did most of the murdering and plundering were born within the US territories. The initial people coming across the pond could very well be described as refugees IMO.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 04:52
I don't remember it starting out that way though.
Didn't think you were that old, Vass:D
The people who did most of the murdering and plundering were born within the US territories. The initial people coming across the pond could very well be described as refugees IMO.
The Pilgrim Fathers were definitely fleeing from religious persecution when they sailed in the Mayflower

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Didn't think you were that old, Vass :D The Pilgrim Fathers were definitely fleeing from religious persecution when they sailed in the Mayflower

Right, and I don't think conquering territory was on their mind. They were just looking for someplace to start new and be welcomed, which they initially were.

I've been around a few centuries. I could still learn a thing or two from Rich though. :p

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Right, and I don't think conquering territory was on their mind. They were just looking for someplace to start new and be welcomed, which they initially were.
Moving east, was blocked as an option by the Muslim expansion. Consequently Western Europeans essentially had "west" as the only movement option. West, as in America, offered space and resources. Try to move East, you might get slaughtered.

OK, that might be an exaggeration, but you would be moving into "conquered" territory where you would be the subject of some despotic ruler as opposed to being your own despot in North America. Moreover can you imagine the Pilgrims fighting the Muslims for territory? The choice was clear, go West.

Update: After posting I did run across this Wikipedia article, Protestantism and Islam. It presents a more favorable view toward Western Europeans seeking religious freedom in Muslim occupied areas. Another point, the article notes how Western Europeans countries and the Ottoman Empire had shifting political alliances.

The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth rock in 1620. 1620 also saw the defeat of the Poles at the Battle of Tutora. The Wikipedia article on the Battle of Tutura goes on to say that following this victory and another victory that the Ottoman's attempted to move into the Ukraine, but that advance ran out of steam.

While the Muslims may have had some tolerance for religious refugees, the refugees themselves may not have had an interest in settling areas were war was an active activity.

Last edited:

statsman

Local time
From an historical view, the (mostly) English peoples who were the original colonists in what is now the USA were interested in religious freedom, land and money (not necessarily in that order).
The Puritans who were saved from starvation by the local native peoples in New England in the first Thanksgiving soon slaughtered these same native peoples as they did not wish to give up their lands to the expanding colonies.

In Canada, the French realized they had a good deal as the native peoples were more than happy to trade their animal pelts for trinkets and baubles in Quebec. The result is that there were few problems (until later) as the French government discouraged colonization in favor of the fur trade. The French traders had a vested interest in keeping the native peoples alive and working.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
The Pilgrim Fathers were definitely fleeing from religious persecution when they sailed in the Mayflower

Why weren't they persecuted when they docked in Plymouth for repairs?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A little known story of ethnic cleansing. A 60 Minute Interview with Patriarch Bartholomew. While this interview is a story of "today", it further reinforces the continued multi-century "push" of Moslems forcing Christians to move west. Columbus was simply an early adopter. Regretfully, western European history books seem to only consider the diaspora of Christians as a footnote, not as significant cultural heritage loss.

chergh

blah
Local time
Hmm maybe we should look more closely at this so we can learn what happened and then use what we learn to get rid of the rest of the theists.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 20:52
Hmm maybe we should look more closely at this so we can learn what happened and then use what we learn to get rid of the rest of the theists.

Report back when you have learnt something then.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time

Is this meant to be humorous? Or merely bad taste?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Which ever you prefer.

So you mean it however its received - so if lots of theists find it insulting, and antagonistic that was your intention?

Surely you have higher aspirations?

chergh

blah
Local time
How sad. Grow up, and stop trying to spoil a thread.

I just merely expressed my view that diaspora wasn't a cultural loss.

Some may find my comment controversial or something but thats upto them.

It would appear to you are the one ruining the thread with your stunningly inaccurate and fatuous analysis of my comments.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
It would appear to you are the one ruining the thread with your stunningly inaccurate and fatuous analysis of my comments.

I thought you didn't care how people interpreted your comments?

Make your mind up?

chergh

blah
Local time
I thought you didn't care how people interpreted your comments?

Make your mind up?

I don't care how people interpret them but your posts did not regard the intepretation of my comments but instead an analysis of their purpose.

Your analysis is incorrect, and indeed hypocritical, as you seem intent on pursuing your pseudo intellectual analysis despite it taking the thread off topic.

Seeing as my original post is on topic and the rest of my comment have been answers to questions posed it is indeed you who are ruining this thread.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I don't care how people interpret them but your posts did not regard the intepretation of my comments but instead an analysis of their purpose.

Your analysis is incorrect, and indeed hypocritical, as you seem intent on pursuing your pseudo intellectual analysis despite it taking the thread off topic.

Seeing as my original post is on topic and the rest of my comment have been answers to questions posed it is indeed you who are ruining this thread.

Your posts have no purpose - not one worth investigating anyway. Fair enough. I think were almost agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom