Blank Screen (No Switchboard) (1 Viewer)

Danni

Local time
Today, 11:56
Hi, I hope someone can help! I have purchased a programme that operates using MS Access. The software loads and functions perfectly on my desktop computer, when I put it onto my laptop, it loads but when I agree to the terms and conditions a switchboard should open but all I get is a grey blank screen with only file, window and help. I did have Nortons 2005 internet suite on it but I have removed that thinking it had something to do with that, restarted my computer removed and reloaded the software and the same happens. I think there is something wrong with the settings on the laptop or some form of script blocking. I am absolutesly exasperated. Please help with any suggestions as I know that the software is functioning and I know that Access is functioning and obviously Access thinks it is displaying everything or there would be an error box. Please help!!

Danni

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the laptop is WinXP and is running at least Service Pack 2, you are right that some script-blocking is occurring. Search this forum for key phrases "Service Pack 2" and "SP2" (with "Win XP" and variations thereof) to see some solutions. I don't remember exactly which option it is, and I believe you have to use one of the new administrative consoles (a.k.a. Microsoft Managment Console, or MMC) to make the change 'cause it is not a common control-panel setting.

If you are not the administrator of the machine, you will not be able to fix this problem yourself.

Danni

Local time
Hi, Thanks for your email. I have just spent a few hours searching the site for information with regards to my query and I can see that there is a corralation between Win XP and SP2. Can you give me any more information on where to look as I have a lot of information but am still struggling to put it together to work out a solution! Many Thanks Danni

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
Today, 12:56
Try holding down the shift key when you open the program and see if that helps

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
I am using Windows XP SP2 with Access 2003 at home and I noticed nothing different when I upgraded from SP1 to SP2. Access 2003 has more macro security but that does not sound like what you are talking about. What version of Access are you using on your laptop? If it is Access 2003 then change your macro security to low. It could be a reference problem if the original db is a different version than the Access program you have on your laptop.

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
It sounds to me as if all of the startup options are turned off in tools/startup. If you turn them all off, quit Access, and restart you will get the exact same situation as described in the first post.

If holding the shift key down when starting the program helps, then go into Tools/Startup and tick all of the boxes, close Access and open again.

Danni

Local time
Thanks for your advice. I will have a look at teh security settings and the startup options tomorrow and see whether they make a difference. I hope so and will let you know..... Many Thanks

Danni

Local time
Someone has told me that the application is using Access runtime and that a blank screen is typical of runtime. I assume that runtime is a cut down version of Access. Is there any way that I can find out whether I have a full version of Access?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If Access is properly installed, you can see it in the list of things started by

Start >> Programs

It occurs to me that if you have Access Runtime only, you might have an inadvertant problem with references such that your screen is dying and, because it is the Runtime version, it is too brain-dead to know it. Search the forum for references to see if anyone has addressed the combination of References and MS Access runtime.

But then, "brain-dead" pretty well describes MS Office on a GOOD day...

Danni

Local time
Many thanks for your help and all others that have contirbuted to this thread - armed with all of this information I should be able to sort it out - Thank you!!

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
If you only have the runtime version of Access then you will not be able to open or edit the design of the db or code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom