Add Maps to SQL Server BIDS (1 Viewer)

noboffinme

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:30
Hi

I need to create a template map for the Reports section in BIDS for Australia & also some for the Australian satates as well.

I've tried downloading ESRI maps but get the error "No spatial data in the file" when I use them to build a map report.

I need to get the correct map files including the .shp & .dbf files to make this work.

I have downloaded some .shp & .dbf files so I should have what I need but they either aren't recognised by BIDS or BIDS cannot open them.

Does anyone have a clear set of instructions to make this happen?

Thanks

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 11:30
What is a ESRI map? Can't you just use an image of a map?

By the way, your name is it?....

No boffin me

Or

Nob off in me

I prefer the latter :D

noboffinme

Registered User.
Local time
Oh hilarious ...

No, stop it now please !!

In Australia we call DBAs "Don't Bother Asking" because you're all too lazy & full of your own importance to give any quality assistance.

Quite like your response really ...

Please don't waste your awesome talent & try to eke out a living doing stand up -you're a natural.

By the way while you're sitting on you arse at work critiising someones code, have a read of this link- I'll give it to you since you couldn't be arsed googling it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esri

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 11:30
Wow, you assume an awful lot

I clearly seemed to have offended you by what I said, I wasn't trying to, I just read your name the second way first and thought I'd ask the question and try to make a joke out of it. It was intended to be light hearted, not the joke of the century.

You are right I could have googled what an ESRI map is, but this thread had been around for a day and a half and I thought it might be possible that you got your answer else where, so that's why I asked the question to see if you'd respond

You must have had a bad experience with DBAs, personally I always try to help out others and never make a point of criticising peoples code to make myself feel important.

noboffinme

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you SQL Hell

Can you assist me though?

There are files that 'make up' the details of a layered map, a .dbf & a .shp file.

I have both of these files & I'm trying to get them into BIDS so they can align the latitude & longitude data with my postcode data that I'm adding in.

The idea is that the info I enter alongside the Postcode is then represented in the map.

So if you have any experience, I'd like to hear about it.

I appreciate that you say you were joking but there are plenty of forum users that use them as a platform to belittle less experienced users to make something of their miserable existence.

Cheers

noboffinme

Registered User.
Local time
Hi

I have found the error & how to get around it.

I found that ESRI .shp (Shapefile) maps for Australia that held very granular data such as Postcodes were naturally bigger in Filesize than maps that had just Australian States info because these State maps for example were smaller.

Therefore I could browse to the State maps & they would work OK, as soon as I wanted something with Postcodes, it was too big & prompted the "Unable to open this C://....... .shp file" error.

So there's nothing wrong with the ESRI files themselves – by the way, ensure you download all the other file types besides the .shp file such as .dbf, .shx.

Next I downloaded a tool to upload the .shp (Shapefile) in a normal table format (Rows & Columns).

The tool was shp2sql;

http://www.dl4all.com/ree/tag/free+shp2sql.html

Then when you make the selection in SSRS to add a map using the Spatial Query, the query you write will be something like the below - note I'm using the Postcode type data but you would match on any suitable common field;

select *

from Your_Ref_Table_with_Postcode A -- your file including the Postcode field

JOIN Spatial_Table_Data B -- Uploaded .shp file

ON A.POSTCODE = B.SPATIAL_POSTCODE

The Spatial or geometric data aligns the map with the Postcode info common to both tables & you can continue to create your map in SSRS.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

ledgerr.rob

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:30
noboffinme~

I'm new to the spatial database world. I was curious if you are storing data in your database, then pushing that data out to GIS map in an ESRI product? Or are you doing something different? Sorry for my confusion, but am interested in this idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom