Best method for this report (1 Viewer)

heather001

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:09
Hi all,
Sorry in advance for the long post.

I'm designing a query based report in our Access 97 QA database that takes parameters from a user form. In the report header is a graph and beyond this graph is the detailed information for each defect.
The graph shows what percentage each defect attributes to the total during a given period of time.

The user can choose different grouping levels that the report formats in it's on open event.
The last bit I need to add is the ability for the user to be able to choose a Top N value. The chart will display the top number from the user selected parameter and the data beyond the graph will be relevant to the defects displayed on the graph.

I've been toying with this for some time now and just when I think I have a solution, I find a reason that it won't work for me. The biggest problem lies in that the chart, being an OLE object can't easily have a dynamic recordsource. So I opted for a chart for each Top N (up to 10) and only make visible the chart that is pertinent to the value the user chose.

I tried to place the sql for the detailed information of the report in the on open event that will take the user parameter for Top N but since this data isn't summed I get the wrong records. I've also tried using a Dsum in the sql and grouping on it, but I'm having a time getting my Dsum to work properly. Before I put much more time into this I wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on my approach to make this report work. I'd really rather have one single report that can take the parameters rather than 10 identical reports.

I hope I'm explaining this well, but if not, I can provide more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom