Company wont hire programmers with tatoo (policy) (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:22
.....piercings and tattoos become the "norm."

I'm glad that I won't be around when that happens , I don't want to mutilate my body in anyway, but if others want to that's fine by me I don't condemn them . I don't even wear any jewellery just a modest watch, Tissot, bought by my staff when I retired.

Ah! I also have a trimmed beard.

Brian

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 04:22
I'm glad that I won't be around when that happens , I don't want to mutilate my body in anyway, but if others want to that's fine by me I don't condemn them . I don't even wear any jewellery just a modest watch, Tissot, bought by my staff when I retired.

Ah! I also have a trimmed beard.

Brian

Do you find it equally mutilating when a woman has her ears pierced? What about circumcism?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I've already said that what others do is up to them, as for circumcision , yes , except for medical reasons, it is definitely mutilation, no ifs , no buts, no maybes.

I've never understood religious people wanting to alter their Lord's creation, they know better do they?

BTW would you be happy somebody turning up for a meal at your place in their gardening or decorating clothes? Appearance does and should matter as it tells us about the person, of course people's interpretations may differ.

Brian

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 04:22
I've already said that what others do is up to them, as for circumcision , yes , except for medical reasons, it is definitely mutilation, no ifs , no buts, no maybes.

I've never understood religious people wanting to alter their Lord's creation, they know better do they?

BTW would you be happy somebody turning up for a meal at your place in their gardening or decorating clothes? Appearance does and should matter as it tells us about the person, of course people's interpretations may differ.

Brian

Hygiene is a totally different subject. Having tattoos or piercings doesn't automatically make you less hygienic.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I didn't say they weren't washed, but I still would not wear them to go out.

You should not make hasty assumptions. ;)

Brian

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 18:22
I am? I think I know quite a lot about how it feels to be judged by others based on physical appearance. I've experienced quite a lot of it my entire life.

Where did I call you a name? :confused:

Cops are taught to not judge everything by first appearance and to assess the situation fully before making a judgment call.

I think I am becoming paranoid. If you did not call me a name then I apologise.

Other than that I realise Police are highly trained and have a lot of experience. With regard to your copper mate, I would appreciate knowing what is going on in his mind in dangerous situations. Does appearance have any place in his judgement? I would like you to get his honest response not a generic answer like they are properly trained.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Again, I'm not saying it doesn't matter. I'm saying it SHOULDN'T. And slowly but surely, it won't matter as much as things like piercings and tattoos become the "norm."

I'm not sure they will ever be the norm either. They have gotten common enough - that they are more naff than anything else.

Will naffness get more popular - amongst some - but the rest , I'm not so sure.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm not sure [tatoos and piercings] will ever be the norm either.

Research the original inhabitants of New Zealand and New Guinea. These and no doubt many other cultures saw tattoos as a normal part of life.

The oldest mummified remains in Europe sport tattoos. Maybe they have been more normal than not throughout most of the existence of humanity.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Research the original inhabitants of New Zealand and New Guinea. These and no doubt many other cultures saw tattoos as a normal part of life.

The oldest mummified remains in Europe sport tattoos. Maybe they have been more normal than not throughout most of the existence of humanity.

Yep they were, but now they are not.

Its just a judegemnt call - whether we think they will become teh norm again. I say not.

Totally uncool Middle aged folk, with muffin tops and badly fitting clothes sporting tattoos cant be inspring younger generations for too much longer surely.

Each to their own.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I think it has more to do with the content of the tattoos than anything else. Sure, if I have a swastika tattooed across my forehead, that will send out a very negative message for the majority of people, but why should a heart with my mother's name and date of death on my shoulder send a similar message?

I forgot to comment on this last night, it would appear that you believe that you can draw the line where you want to but others can't .

The safest place for a company to draw the line is to say none are acceptable, anything else will leave them open to legal challenges .

Brian

RainLover

Local time
Brian

Simply put. and simply correct.

pwbrown

Registered User.
Local time
If I owned a company, I would care about how employees represent themselves.
I wouldn't employ someone where a tattoo is visible although I wouldn't mind if it was out of sight never to be seen in work.
Just like if two people, one fat one normal, with similar CV's came for a job I'd more likely choose the normal person because of appearance.

Just my personal opinion, I like to see people looking after their bodies and not mutate them with piercings and tattoos. I think it's fine for women to get their ears pierced and wear small earrings but not for men! For men a watch and a wedding ring is enough. Outside of work i wouldn't mind braclets or necklaces for either sex.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
>>I think it has more to do with the content of the tattoos than anything else. Sure, if I have a swastika tattooed across my forehead, that will send out a very negative message for the majority of people, but why should a heart with my mother's name and date of death on my shoulder send a similar message?<<

Well it would if she was still alive.

Chris.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think it's fine for women to get their ears pierced and wear small earrings but not for men! For men a watch and a wedding ring is enough.

What would be your rational explanation for holding such an arbitrarily sexist position on this matter?

pwbrown

Registered User.
Local time
Just personal opinion, I think earrings on men just look wrong.
Also when I say small earrings I mean like small pearls in the earlobe, no stupid rings, anything else wouldn't suit the work place!

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
What would be your rational explanation for holding such an arbitrarily sexist position on this matter?

Chavs.

I am finding the idea that how you look makes no differance to how you are perceived - or rather shouldnt make any differance to how you are perceived as quite ridiculous.

RainLover

Local time
Just personal opinion, I think earrings on men just look wrong.
Also when I say small earrings I mean like small pearls in the earlobe, no stupid rings, anything else wouldn't suit the work place

I agree, and do not believe that this is sexist al all. Sexist is more like placing all women in the same box. Like all women are users of men. However saying that women look nicer in the work place wearing smaller ear rings is an opinion. one that should not be challenged so harshly.

I am finding the idea that how you look makes no differance to how you are perceived - or rather shouldn't make any difference to how you are perceived as quite ridiculous.

I will remember that next time I am caught in the middle of a hundred bikies or sailing the deep blue sea and come across a ship flying the Jolly Roger.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I will remember that next time I am caught in the middle of a hundred bikies.
BTW Would this apply to a War Ship that was flying the wrong flag, or these days the Jolly Roger.

I think you misread what I wrote.

ie -

Of course how you appear does - and almost certainly should make a differance to how you are perceived. Some seem to be argueing against that.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Of course how you appear does - and almost certainly should make a differance to how you are perceived. Some seem to be argueing against that.

Yes it is inevitable to some extent. What is important is understanding the origin of the values that drive our opinions so we have some hope of navigating the treacherous waters of mindless prejudice.

Justifying prejudice with "just a personal opinion" is position that reeks of ignorance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom