Currency re-vamp (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 01:46
Len Boorman said:
Somehow I do not think that will work. Good idea but just not going to work.

If its dark they will not see the sign will they. :cool: :cool:

L

How about if we require intruders to carry a flashlight so that they can keep up with local intrusion etiquette?

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Len Boorman said:
Somehow I do not think that will work. Good idea but just not going to work.

If its dark they will not see the sign will they. :cool: :cool:

L

How a well-lit sign, asking that intruders knock on the door? That way you can explain the rules to them.

Added advantages include:
They will be able to see to sign the declaration of malice,
You can loan them a pen, should they have forgotten to bring one,
You will be present to witness the document, so that it would stand up in court
You can open the door, thereby avoiding property damage
and
You'll be able to see them more clearly, should you still wish to shoot them.:D

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:46
KenHigg said:
I vote to let that be the intruders problem...;)

I second the motion ...:cool:

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
'declaration of malice' - I like it. :):):)

I, the undersigned, do hereby express my intention to gain unlawful access to the address shown below:

Said access to be for the purpose of, but not limited to, destroying, damaging and/or obtaining goods and chattals not belonging to myself.

Signed: ..........................

Print Name: ..........................

I ........................... do hereby declare that the person named above has declared their malicious intent and reserve my right to hamper them in their efforts/wound them/kill them (delete as applicable).

Signed:..........................

Date:.............................

KenHigg

Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
I, the undersigned, do hereby express my intention to gain unlawful access to the address shown below:

Said access to be for the purpose of, but not limited to, destroying, damaging and/or obtaining goods and chattals not belonging to myself.

Signed: ..........................

Print Name: ..........................

I ........................... do hereby declare that the person named above has declared their malicious intent and reserve my right to hamper them in their efforts/wound them/kill them (delete as applicable).

Signed:..........................

Date:.............................

:D Looks good... What's wrong with a little hampering :p

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:46
At least in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina, looting and general thuggery have increased. Perhaps not exponentially, but certainly they have increased very much. Louisiana lawmakers recently passed a bill that explicitly says the homeowner does not have to determine the intentions of a trespasser in that person's house. No "malicious intent" forms needed whatsoever.

The general rule is you can shoot a person in your house if you believe the person is up to no good. Obviously, shooting someone invited into the house is not a good idea, but uninvited intruders? It's open season. Precisely because you might not have the time it takes to determine intent or whether the person has a weapon. The goal is that the homeowner SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GUESS.

The bad guy can be safe simply by being bad somewhere else. Failing that, the bad guy coming in the door could see the homeowner with a gun and run back out the door. Once the person is outside and fleeing, the homeowner loses the right to shoot first and ask questions later. I once asked a police officer about this fine point. He told me, just be sure that the guy falls into your house so it looks like you were shooting him when he entered. The way the law is written, you'll be in the clear.

Colin, I think this at least implies the answer to the "when would you shoot" question. But I'll be blunt. If I'm carrying and the perp is where I have a clear shot, I'm shooting ASAP. If I'm not carrying, I'll run to where the gun is kept and WILL be carrying in seconds. If the perp isn't carrying, I'll make it. If the perp is carrying and I don't make it, I'll have my wife forward you the news so you will realize I was right.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
The_Doc_Man said:
The general rule is you can shoot a person in your house if you believe the person is up to no good. Obviously, shooting someone invited into the house is not a good idea, but uninvited intruders? It's open season.

I can see the idea behind it - and, yes, anybody breaking in pretty much deserves what they get - but what's to stop a drunken argument getting out of hand, one person shooting another, then claiming that he/she had broken in?

Doesn't the policy rely on people's word a bit much? Not that a lot of people's word isn't good, but how do you get around people deliberately inviting in someone they've got a long-standing feud with, just to shoot them?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Matt, therein lies the problem. If the police investigate and suspect that an invitation preceded the entry, or if they find that the person was someone you knew, you could expect hours of grilling on that subject.

On the other hand, if the person is unknown to you and (as is likely in such cases) has a breaking & entering record, the odds are that the cops will pass on deep investigation. They'll probably apply the principle of misadventure and suggest to the district attorney's office that it is a justifiable homicide case. Bye-bye, intruder.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
The_Doc_Man said:
Matt, therein lies the problem. If the police investigate and suspect that an invitation preceded the entry, or if they find that the person was someone you knew, you could expect hours of grilling on that subject.

On the other hand, if the person is unknown to you and (as is likely in such cases) has a breaking & entering record, the odds are that the cops will pass on deep investigation. They'll probably apply the principle of misadventure and suggest to the district attorney's office that it is a justifiable homicide case. Bye-bye, intruder.

Sounds like a decent idea, but I definitely feel it's open to abuse.

How many people have been shot, so far?

R

Rich

The_Doc_Man said:
Colin, I think this at least implies the answer to the "when would you shoot" question. But I'll be blunt. If I'm carrying and the perp is where I have a clear shot, I'm shooting ASAP. If I'm not carrying, I'll run to where the gun is kept and WILL be carrying in seconds. If the perp isn't carrying, I'll make it. If the perp is carrying and I don't make it, I'll have my wife forward you the news so you will realize I was right.

So it's fair to conclude that the US is still as lawless as it was during the "wild west" days, that's progress for you

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
The_Doc_Man said:

Rich said:
So it's fair to conclude that the US is still as lawless as it was during the "wild west" days, that's progress for you

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read Docs response. Link that in with the normal everyday killings on the streets we read about and it seems that any visitor will be lucky not to get mugged / beaten up / or killed.

There was a play on TV the other day, two women talking - one says "I went to New York for a week" the other says "did you get mugged?", the first one says "no, I was lucky I think"

Col

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
There was a play on TV the other day, two women talking - one says "I went to New York for a week" the other says "did you get mugged?", the first one says "no, I was lucky I think"

Col
A friend of a friend went to visit NY and was killed in a drive by shooting, the killer has never been caught.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Well then all New Yorkers, and to the same extent, Americans, must be killers. :rolleyes:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
ColinEssex said:
and it seems that any visitor will be lucky not to get mugged / beaten up / or killed.

Col

I never realised how lucky my wife and I are, all those cities, towns large and small , that we have walked around and never been harrassed during any of our visits to the States, pity friends who have visited Italy, India, Spain and london can't say the same.

Brian

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
I never realised how lucky my wife and I are, all those cities, towns large and small , that we have walked around and never been harrassed during any of our visits to the States, pity friends who have visited Italy, India, Spain and london can't say the same.

Brian
Your friends got shot at in London? :confused:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Rich said:
Your friends got shot at in London? :confused:

I believe he was responding to the comment about mugging. Many people get mugged every year by criminals who aren't carrying guns. There are other weapons out there. Don't people get mugged in London? ;)

R

Rich

MrsGorilla said:
Don't people get mugged in London? ;)
I think that it's mainly a problem amongst the youth of today and our glorious leaders tell us it's their own faults for carrying expensive mobile phones etc:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Brianwarnock said:

Brian
your friends must be on a bad luck streak - they must be fed up with being mugged every time they go away.

Or is it lots of different friends that all get mugged every time they go away.

I was actually saying that it seems that one would be lucky not to get mugged / beaten up / killed in New York. (it may of course be an exaggeration)

matt said:
Well then all New Yorkers, and to the same extent, Americans, must be killers.
I wouldn't say that, but its interesting you did (as an American) - you should know;)

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thuggery and violence occur everywhere. The word "thug" isn't American in origin. (Google "thugee" for elucidation.)

America isn't the killing ground that everyone thinks, but I won't lie to you. There is more killing going on than any of us really like. The problem, however, isn't guns. It lies much deeper than that.

As long as there is a predatory streak in the human animal, there will be predation unrelated to the weapon at hand. How many cases have there been of beatings, muggings, robberies, assaults, mobs/riots in other countries? Take a look at the aftermath of international soccer games, even when there was no controversy in the game itself. People let off steam in lots of ways that are violent, with our without guns, and folks still die.

The one-sided view that our non-USA friends get is caused by another really bad phenomenon - news organizations who deliberately slant the news to show tragedy because they are taking advantage of an ingrained human trait - morbid curiosity.

The news groups tell you about how many murders occur on the streets. They DON'T tell you that perhaps 70% to 80% are all drug-related turf wars - gangsters looking to secure their territory from those who would compete with them. They also don't tell of how often one of these shootings was in self-defense. That's not news.

For instance, in New Orleans, you would find that over half of the murders in the city this year are localized to a small number of places that have heavy drug activity. Since the governor of Louisiana mobilized the state's National Guard to help police patrol some of the more devastated areas, crime rates are dropping. But unless you lived here or tried hard to research the issues, you wouldn't know that.

I feel perfectly safe walking through the French Quarter at night in the tourist areas. The back side of the quarter (northern corner) is not so safe because it isn't a tourist area.

Let's be honest: EVERY CITY of any size has its places where nobody in their right mind would go after dark by themselves. And every city has its share of murders because of people who do stupid things like flash cash in public in an isolated area, drive a fancy car through the wrong neighborhood, or happen to have the wrong skin color for the rough neighborhood they are traversing. It happens and has nothing to do with guns.

The aphorism is still true: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." I'll add that even without guns, violence abounds any place you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom