"Delays" when a field is updated and a form is requeried (1 Viewer)

AdrianThorn

Local time
Today, 14:02
I am a novice at this and I suspect my problem is conceptual, hopefully someone can point out a different approach or a solution that will resolve my problem.

I have a continuous form with an SQL query as its record source, it is a dynaset. Each row on the form is for a specific picture, containing a unique ID, a pre-generated caption field, and an official caption field. The idea is that users will edit the pre-generated caption field, hit a button, then their changes to the pregenerate caption will be made to the value of the official caption field.

My VBA code for the button works fine, in that it doesn't return any errors. The problem is that there is some sort of delay between when the button is hit and when the official caption field is updated. After the first press, the form requeries and the official caption field is the same, but after a second press the official caption field will display the user's changes.

I can't figure out why that is. First, a recordset clone is created using an SQL query, the pre-generated caption column is selected and then the results are filtered to the single record that shares the picture ID of whatever row the user was working in. Next, an SQL update runs, replacing the value of the official caption field with the value of the pre-generated caption that is contained in the recordset clone. Then the form is requeried.

I've tried adding a change of focus at the beginning of the code and a 15 second pause between when the update statement runs and when the form is requeried, neither solves the issue. The problem can't entirely be my code, because a second press of the button will make the appropriate changes.

I know what you're thinking, why have divide the captions into pre-generated and official in the first place - why not use pre-generated caption as the caption source? There is a separate feature that allows a user to mass edit captions and I decided to retain the original pre-generated caption as a field, in the event that the user makes a mistake or decides to reference the content of the pre-generated caption.

What am I doing wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom