Excel sheets as linked tables open in exclusive mode (1 Viewer)

webmastertokyo

Local time
Today, 01:12
I have a simple Access database with a number of linked tables to Excel spreadsheets located in the same directory.

When I open the Access database from two networked machines, I get an error on the second machine when I try to open a form that uses the linked tables. It says that the linked table has been opend in Exclusive mode.

Any idea how I can prevent Access from opening the linked tables in exclusive mode?

thanks

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:12
I have a simple Access database with a number of linked tables to Excel spreadsheets located in the same directory.

When I open the Access database from two networked machines, I get an error on the second machine when I try to open a form that uses the linked tables. It says that the linked table has been opend in Exclusive mode.

Any idea how I can prevent Access from opening the linked tables in exclusive mode?

thanks

In Access , go to Tools -- Options -- Advanced -- Default Open Mode
then select Shared

Let us know if that solves the issue.

webmastertokyo

Local time
Sorry, I forgot to say that I already did that, and it doesn't seem to affect the way Access opens up linked tables.

webmastertokyo

Local time
It may be impossible

It may be impossible to do this, so I found another way around it.

In the form I can specify recordset type as "snapshot" instaed of "dynaset". This makes it possible to open forms in the two MDB files simultaneously.

But the users still cannot view the table directly, which is a bit annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom