Hello from the Carolina's (1 Viewer)

drybone

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:28
Hello all,
My name is Jim and I'm originally from Cleveland but now live in North Carolina. I'm in my early 30's and stay as busy as possible with my hobbies. I like to build furniture, improve my home (working on an addition which will be a man cave), I build motors/restore cars, I play a lot of basketball. I am by no means a proficient DB builder but am getting a lot better at it as the days go along.

Some of my DB projects include a DVD/music library/home automation program, employee management tool and an inventory inspection tool.

The DVD,music and home automation db essentially started off by taking all of my DVD's/CD's and ripping them to my home server. It was approximately 1300 DVD's and roughly 500 albums. It took a very long time to get knocked out but once I did I built a DB that I could look up a movie or song by artist, actor, genre. I can look up by multiple artists, actors or genre's as well. It then populates a report from the query results which has hyperlinks to the files location on my server. All my smart TV's are linked to the server and I have the ability to watch the same movie on all the TV's, one TV or multiple movies on multiple TV's.
The home automation is a work in progress and allows me to open and close my garage doors, automated door locks. I am working on figuring out how to incorporate my security camera's for remote view and also talk over my intercom system via my phone. Those are proving to be very difficult but fun to work.

My employee and inventory DB's are pretty basic. They are simple with only >=[forms]![formname]![txtdatestart] And <= etc. type date range query criteria along with Like & "*" [forms]![formname]![field] & "*" data isolation criteria. With those, my philosophy was to keep it as simple as possible so not much can go wrong.

Most of the stuff I've learned along the way came from this forum and I thought it was time to stop lurking and officially thank all of you for the great posts and information you all provide.

That about wraps it up so hopefully I may be able to contribute something to the collective and I wish you all a great day!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:28
Welcome Jim. Sounds like a slick system you've got there!

drybone

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:28
Thanks but not really, the entertainment portion is very basic from a lot of DB's I've seen people talk about on here. Because I don't know a whole lot, I try to keep it as simple as possible to avoid problems. The home automation side of it is a little more complex but relies on 3rd party apps and the software that comes with the cameras, locks and door. The DB in that area is basically a centralized user interface to access all of the equipment apps from one location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom