Solved Issue with removing ActiveX Controls from Legacy Access Apps (1 Viewer)

spaLOGICng

Local time
Today, 11:53
Hi All,

I have a weird conundrum that I have never encountered before. I am hopng that one of you may have some experience with this and what your solution was.

I have a client that has upgraded several Computers and M365 Office to 64-bit. They have a legacy application that began in Access 2003 and is heavily laden with ActiveX Controls, i.e. Flex Grid, Calendar, and others purchased from a 3rd party.

The conundrum is I am unable to delete the ActiveX Controls from the physically or programmatically.

I know the best solution would be to recreate the Forms copying everything but the ActiveX Controls, but I am wondering if any of you have encountered this and what your solution was.

Many Thanks!

tvanstiphout

Local time
The simplest thing to do is uninstall O-64 and install O-32. The actual use cases for 64-bit are few and far between. Bigger is not always better.

Presumably these ActiveX controls performed a function, so wholesale removing them will break the app in many places.

"I am unable to delete the ActiveX Controls from the physically or programmatically.": a word is missing in front of "physically". Probably "forms".
Assuming "forms", what did you try, and what exactly is not working? Typically you just select the control in design view, and hit Delete key.

Worst case you can export the forms to text files (Application.SaveAsText), and delete from there.

spaLOGICng

Local time
The simplest thing to do is uninstall O-64 and install O-32. The actual use cases for 64-bit are few and far between. Bigger is not always better.

Presumably these ActiveX controls performed a function, so wholesale removing them will break the app in many places.

"I am unable to delete the ActiveX Controls from the physically or programmatically.": a word is missing in front of "physically". Probably "forms".
Assuming "forms", what did you try, and what exactly is not working? Typically you just select the control in design view, and hit Delete key.

Worst case you can export the forms to text files (Application.SaveAsText), and delete from there.
The Client does not want to uninstall O-64 for O-32. already suggested that.

There is a 3rd party ActiveX Control, its TLB and DLL that will not install. It requires a Password and the original company that developed the application has gone out of business. The Company that purchased it will not honor the agreement for lifetime support.

Yes, typically that is how one would delete a control. As I said, I tried to do so both physically and programmatically, neither worked.

The Owner of this Application has already moved on to new technologies and only wants to utilize the CRM piece of the application. So, I am just laboring to trim it down.

I have resolved to just re-create the Screens less the ActiveX Controls.

Thanks!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:53
Flexgrid and the old calendar do not work in 64-bit Access You can easily replace the old calendar control with an alternative that does work in 64-bit. Replacing the functionality of Flexgrid may be much more challenging

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:53
If you have 32 bit office installed on your own PC, copy the database and do the surgery there. It is very annoying that 64 bit Access will not allow you to delete these objects and good to know for future reference.

It must be a MS thing. I once ran into a problem that forced me to format c: to get rid of MS software. Luckily it was my laptop Somehow, don't ask me how because I make it a policy to never install trials, I managed to get a trial version of SQL Server installed on my laptop and it expired. There was no obvious uninstall so I just started uninstalling components. Don't ever do that. Big mistake. At some point in the uninstall process, I ran into a piece that refused to uninstall because some other piece was not installed. I tried to reinstall but I couldn't reinstall because some different piece was already installed. So I couldn't uninstall because of x and I couldn't reinstall because of y and repair wouldn't work because of n. Everything was connected to something. So, I ended up wiping the entire hard drive. It only took 6 hours to rebuild it:(

You know that policy of not installing trials. I broke it a few days ago and I'm going to pay again. This time it's my main system. I installed a tool from RedGate. It had options to "add in" to SSMS and I said NO, NO , a thousand times NO. Did the software listen. NOPE. It installed itself into SSMS:(😭😭😭😭😭 and I'm sure that will cost me dearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom