Linking to another database (1 Viewer)

maclachlan

Local time
Yesterday, 22:44
I use a packaged software program at the dealership I work at. In the past I have been able to pull queries and information out of the database and into Excel. The query builder pulls the data as read-only and thus no fear of changing the main database. I have developed an access database for doing commissions. I want to be able to link my database with the companies database as read-only. This would save typing a lot of the duplicate information (ie customer name, date etc.). I have been able to successfully link the 2 databases but realized quickly that anything I change in msaccess will change on the main database. I don't want to corrupt the main database and really only want to pull the information for viewing. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

IgorB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:44
You can create reports based on linked database, this will be read-only presentation to users or you.
Do your users have access to linked tables and can change data?
Is this your problem?

Igor.

maclachlan

Local time
yes the users have access to a form I have built in which they enter salesperson's commissions. There is really 2 parts to my MS access database.
1. Tables/Forms and Reports that I have built in access that I want the user to have permission to add/delete or change.
2. A linked table that comes from a SQL database that I only want the user to be able to reference. I have linked the sales ID in the SQL database with the sales ID in the access database. When the user enters the Sales ID on the form I want the header bar to fill in the appropriate information from the SQL table.
I also want the reports to reflect both of the tables info.

My main purpose behind this project is:
We enter a vehicle sale in a program called XSellerator (SQL database). All the customers information is entered by the salesperson. The commission database which I run out of access contains a lot of the same information. I would like to join the 2 tables so the user doesn't have to enter all the same information twice. The trick is I don't want the person using the access database to be able to change anything from the SQL database. I'm worried if they are able to change something I will corrupt our main database.

Thanks for the help as I'm relatively new to this stuff

maclachlan

Local time
Here is another way of trying to explain what I'm after

I'm trying to link my accounting software to an access database. I have linked the table, which seems to work fine. My problem is I want the table from the accounting program to be read-only. I don't want to corrupt the raw data by allowing the user to add/delete or change the data.
I want to be able to add a table to the access program that the user can update. The linked table and the access table will have a join based on the salesID field.

I have tried the following 2 steps
1. I have defined the primary key on the linked table. This allows both the linked table and the access table to be updated. I don't want the linked table to be updated so this method doesn't work
2. If I don't define the primary key when setting up the link, the linked table becomes read-only. A new problem occurs when I try to setup a query. Both the linked table and the access table are read-only

Does anybody know how to set this up so I can update my access table but have the linked table read-only.

Thanks

jmurphy

Registered User.
Local time
am sure others will have better solutions - but here's a couple of possible work arounds- import structure and data of linked table to your database and use autoexec macro to delete table and re-import each time your database is opened (so you're working off an updated copy each time and underlying data can't be corrupted) - only problem may be size of table and time-

second option - set up linked query - set up form for entry of new data (listing all data from linked database only in a linked subreport) so it can't be modified - and hide database window - good luck

maclachlan

Local time
Thanks jmurphy. IT WORKS!!
Linking the subform worked, I'm able to update my tables and have the SQL tables as read-only. I just need to work on how to make the subform look better, but that shouldn't be a problem.

maclachlan

Local time
Almost there
My next problem is not all the SQL tables I link to ask me to choose the unique record identifier. On the tables that it prompts me to choose the unique record identifier I don't choose one and this makes the table read-only.
A few of the tables I link to its doesn't prompt me and thus the tables can be updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom