Solved Northwind 2 DB (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 19:13
Hi everyone,
Now I have Access 2019 I was able to open the Northwind 2 DB (Developer Edition 2.3)

If one finds what they might think is a bug, are they meant to report it at all?, and if so where please?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:13
Hi everyone,
Now I have Access 2019 I was able to open the Northwind 2 DB (Developer Edition 2.3)

If one finds what they might think is a bug, are they meant to report it at all?, and if so where please?
I think it's okay to post it here, and @GPGeorge should be able to pick it up from there.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
OK, thank you.
First a question. Is one meant to go into form frmEmployeeTitles directly, or are they expected to get there via another route?

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Hi everyone,

Explain it here and, if it's not one we already know about, we can add it to the To Do list for V2.3 V2.4

Last edited:

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
OK, thank you.
First a question. Is one meant to go into form frmEmployeeTitles directly, or are they expected to get there via another route?
The application is driven from the ribbon. So, if there is an entry point on the ribbon, that would be the way to do it. I'll have to refresh myself, though, as it's been many months since launch.

On the other hand, it's a template, so if you prefer to modify it, please feel free to do it.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Oh, that was easy. If this is what you meant, of course. Sorry I had forgotten how that was done.

1714066995133.png

It's set up with an edit form on the combo box. Clicking that icon opens the associated edit form.

1714067099636.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I do not appear to have that icon?

1714068005863.png

Edit: OK, found that with a right click, but the behaviour is the same.
When go go into the form it automatically adds an empty record at the top, whilst you are on the bottom record about to enter a new value.
Decide you do not want to add one anyway and are unable to close the form without an error message.

I just found it by going to the form from the navigation list.

1714068327505.png

Last edited:

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
I do not appear to have that icon?

View attachment 113814

Edit: OK, found that with a right click, but the behaviour is the same.
When go go into the form it automatically adds an empty record at the top, whilst you are on the bottom record about to enter a new value.
Decide you do not want to add one anyway and are unable to close the form without an error message.

I just found it by going to the form from the navigation list.

View attachment 113815
Thank you. One of the dangers of testing is that you get used to doing the same things the same way and don't stumble on problems on on paths. I'll make sure it gets on the list to be addressed

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
I dug a little into this error. It looks like this is not a code problem per se. Rather it looks like the sample data provided for the template contains one bad record. I.e. a record with no value in the "Title" field. I'm relieved that it isn't a problem in design, though. How and when that null ZLS Title got into the table I can't say. Thanks again for catching this.

1714081314070.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
George,
I went into the table and added a value for that record. Then went to the form again and the same thing happens?

Here is the table with that errant record completed with Reverend.

1714082618025.png

Now it did not happen on the first entry to the form, but does on subsequent entries?

1714082727894.png

That is why I have all those extra entries, by completing the errant record each time, by directly editing the table and adding a value.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
OK, I think it might be just due to no validation on an empty record, and as the table is
1714083511578.png

then that record appears at the top and the new record is at the bottom.

That appears to be my issue.

I added
Code:
Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    If Nz(Me.Title, "") = "" Then
        Me.Undo
    End If
End Sub
and that appears to correct it.

I know you would expect a developer to add their own validation, but I was just looking at a few forms, and found this issue doing that.
So as you say, not a bug.

Last edited:

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
OK, I think it might be just due to no validation on an empty record, and as the table is
View attachment 113827
then that record appears at the top and the new record is at the bottom.

That appears to be my issue.

I added
Code:
Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    If Nz(Me.Title, "") = "" Then
        Me.Undo
    End If
End Sub
and that appears to correct it.

I know you would expect a developer to add their own validation, but I was just looking at a few forms, and found this issue doing that.
So as you say, not a bug.
It is more to do with a ZLS in that initial record. You've added a number of records in your screenshot, and none of them have the ZLS any longer.

In a newly re-constituted template, it looks like this. Note the top record has a ZLS for Title and the second and third records are Mr. and Ms.
1714098143995.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom