Prefix + AutoNumber as Item Code (1 Viewer)

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:58
Hmm. I can't seem to add tables for the assets because I'm so confused. -_- My database should contain the following info on assets w/ (EXAMPLES):

STATUS (Released, In Stock, Damaged)
SEQUENCE NO. (00079)
SEQUENCE LETTER (A)
PROPERTY NUMBER (LOCATION + RECEIVING DOC. NUMBER + RECEIVING DOC. + PROPERTY TYPE NO. + SEQUENCE NUMBER; Ex. BOSTON 3334-RR-00079)
ITEM BRAND (Apple)
MODEL (iMac)
SIZE
UNIT OF MEASURE
SHAPE
COLOR (white)
OTHER DESCRIPTION
SERIAL NO./IMEI/ MODEL NO. /CHASSIS NO. (1234567ZZZ)
ENGINE NO. (VEHICLE)
PLATE NO. (VEHICLE)
DONOR SOURCE (1234)
COUNTRY NO. (890)
PROJECT NO. (1235)
ACCT. CODE (9999)
PROPERTY TYPE (Computer)
PROPERTY TYPE NO. (01)
PO NO./VOUCHER NO. (12345)
PURCHASE PRICE (USD) (3000)
RECEIVING DOCUMENT (RR - Receiving Report)
RECEIVING DOCUMENT NO. (33334)
DATE ACQUIRED (9/3/14)
OFFICE (LOL/USA)
DEP'T (Admin)
LOCATION (Boston)
ASSIGNEE (Family Name) (Erroba)
ASSIGNEE (First Name) (Johanna)
DATE ISSUED (9/4/14)
ACK. NO./PAF NO.
NOTES

It's quite a handful. Wew. Aside from that, I also have to make Property Accountability Forms (PAF) for employees. The PAF should contain:

Name
Department
Item Description
Serial Number
Remarks
Released
Returned

It's so complicated. What do you suggest that I do? I'm currently trying to make additional tables and I'll post them here as soon as I can. Property Custodianship has a different scope compared to Inventory Management. Inventory Management deals with tracking the SR, PO, RR, and inventory levels. Property Custodianship deals with assets issued to employees. They overlap for a bit, but they're also very different. Right now, I'm the one handling both. But in our other offices, there might be different people handling Inventory and Property. Which is why I asked you which was better, make two separate databases or make just an incorporated one? Because in the future, I might not be the one to handle both areas.

Last edited:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:58
Answer to...

why does the qryPurchaseOrderDetail and qrySupplierRequestDetail look the same? Everythings the same actually, except for one criteria

Because one is for Purchase Orders Reports and the other for Supplier Requests Reports. Remember, once it goes to a Purchase Order you don't want it to show on a Supplier Request and visa versa.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Answer to Assets table...

If it can be derived from other table(s) then all you need as the PK. So...
Code:
ITEM BRAND (Apple)
MODEL (iMac)
SIZE
UNIT OF MEASURE
SHAPE
COLOR (white)
...looks like it comes from t_Inventory. That being the case you only need iItemID and a query.

So, when creating new tables that is the way you need to think.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Looked at your example and it looks great What makes you think it's not so good?

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Answer to...

Because one is for Purchase Orders Reports and the other for Supplier Requests Reports. Remember, once it goes to a Purchase Order you don't want it to show on a Supplier Request and visa versa.

I honestly could not understand what you just said. HAHAHAHA. Maybe I should review my knowledge on reports. But anyway, so those queries are for reports? I hope I'm right.

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Answer to Assets table...

If it can be derived from other table(s) then all you need as the PK. So...
Code:
ITEM BRAND (Apple)
MODEL (iMac)
SIZE
UNIT OF MEASURE
SHAPE
COLOR (white)
...looks like it comes from t_Inventory. That being the case you only need iItemID and a query.

So, when creating new tables that is the way you need to think.

Yep, I've already figured that out. HAHA. Hmm. But you said I need a query? What would it be for?

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Looked at your example and it looks great What makes you think it's not so good?

Really? Hahaha. I don't know, it's looks odd. Anyway, so I think that's it for now. What's next then? Should I make forms?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes, the queries I replaced will be for Reports and maybe Combo Boxes. Yes, your next step is to start creating Forms and with the Forms some queries. Start at the beginning of the process and then work your way up from there...

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, the queries I replaced will be for Reports and maybe Combo Boxes. Yes, your next step is to start creating Forms and with the Forms some queries. Start at the beginning of the process and then work your way up from there...

See that's the thing. I want to start making the forms. But I'm afraid because I get confused with tables and queries. I don't know when I should be making the query. But I'll try. Thank you! :)

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Aaaand another thing. I just came up with this a few days ago. So when employees are requesting for supplies from Admin, they have to fill up and sign the Acknowledgment form right? I was thinking of just letting them do it on the database itself. Each employee has his/her own password which will be stored in an encrypted on t_Employee. They should be the only ones who know their password. Then there's a sort of note that by inputting the password, it should act as their signature. This way, I could minimize human errors especially in encoding. Also, I want to have a database password. For example, I want to restrict certain parts of the database. Employees shall only be able to edit the Acknowledgment form, the staff under me can see and edit the database, but only certain parts of the database, while I am the only one to really see and edit everything. I hope I'm making sense.

So do I make tables for those now? Or should I just focus on moving on with my forms? :)

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Aaaand another thing. I just came up with this a few days ago. So when employees are requesting for supplies from Admin, they have to fill up and sign the Acknowledgment form right? I was thinking of just letting them do it on the database itself. Each employee has his/her own password which will be stored in an encrypted on t_Employee. They should be the only ones who know their password. Then there's a sort of note that by inputting the password, it should act as their signature. This way, I could minimize human errors especially in encoding. Also, I want to have a database password. For example, I want to restrict certain parts of the database. Employees shall only be able to edit the Acknowledgment form, the staff under me can see and edit the database, but only certain parts of the database, while I am the only one to really see and edit everything. I hope I'm making sense.

So do I make tables for those now? Or should I just focus on moving on with my forms? :)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Once you get the Forms set up and they are working the way you want we'll work on setting up the database for others to use. For now concentrate on creating the Forms. Remember, you have to stay the course and focus on the task at hand.

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Once you get the Forms set up and they are working the way you want we'll work on setting up the database for others to use. For now concentrate on creating the Forms. Remember, you have to stay the course and focus on the task at hand.

Alright. Thanks! :)

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, I literally just made forms for each table, it's stupid, I know. But I honestly have no idea how proceed. It's either my brain's not working today, or I'm just completely dumb. HAHA. :banghead: Please tell me what to do. Aaaand my file doesn't fit here anymore. How do I upload it? -_-

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
:D < Not laughing at you, laughing WITH you!

Okay, so my new job is to guide you thru the business of making Forms. You first assignment is to make Forms for...

1. Form to enter/edit Employees information
2. Form to enter/edit Donors information
3. Form to enter/edit Suppliers

...when you get those Forms done we will move on. Note, do not just slap them together, make them look and *feel* the way you want your Users to see them. Need ideas, have a look thru...
http://www.access-diva.com/projects.html

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
:D < Not laughing at you, laughing WITH you!

Okay, so my new job is to guide you thru the business of making Forms. You first assignment is to make Forms for...

1. Form to enter/edit Employees information
2. Form to enter/edit Donors information
3. Form to enter/edit Suppliers

...when you get those Forms done we will move on. Note, do not just slap them together, make them look and *feel* the way you want your Users to see them. Need ideas, have a look thru...
http://www.access-diva.com/projects.html

Thanks! Hmm, I can't seem to upload my work. -_-

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Try Compact & Repair and then zip it and see if that works.

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Another question. I've seen the examples that you had. How do I separate fields in different pages in a form? For example in f_Employee, there are personal infos like birthday, address, etc. And there are also employment info like job title, supervisor, etc. Is it possible to do so?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Are you asking about Tab Controls? Because you would create separate Subforms and then place them on different Tabs. Oh, Tab Controls are placed on a Main Form. Now, if you are saying you don't want everyone to see that information then you create one Form for all and another one with personal information and that one will be placed in the ADMIN section once the Main Menu/Switchboard is set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom