Report Creation from Microsoft Excel (1 Viewer)

troypilewski

Local time
Yesterday, 16:59
I have a Microsoft Excel Report and was looking for some guidance and direction to see if it could be built as a report in Microsoft Access.
Blank Rider Log.PNG

I would like to try to get some guidance on how to best proceed to create this as a report in Microsoft Access.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Short Answer: Yes, Access has a decent reporting writing engine.

Long Answer: It depends to some extent on a number of factors, including where and how the data is stored, or how often the contents must be updated. For example, this screenshot shows a month with 31days. Is that always going to be the case, or do you need a dynamic grid to reflect different numbers of days in different months?

Most likely Answer: With an appropriate amount of effort, it can be done. However, given that it is already set up in Excel, why not consider storing the data in an Access relational database application, turning this into an Excel Template, and populating the Excel report with fresh data, as needed, from the Access data?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 00:59
fraudulent is misspelled?
I would suggest it depends on your data structure?

troypilewski

Local time
Short Answer: Yes, Access has a decent reporting writing engine.

Long Answer: It depends to some extent on a number of factors, including where and how the data is stored, or how often the contents must be updated. For example, this screenshot shows a month with 31days. Is that always going to be the case, or do you need a dynamic grid to reflect different numbers of days in different months?

Most likely Answer: With an appropriate amount of effort, it can be done. However, given that it is already set up in Excel, why not consider storing the data in an Access relational database application, turning this into an Excel Template, and populating the Excel report with fresh data, as needed, from the Access data?
I'll apologize. I'm trying to take something I do and learn...

1. Thank you for letting me know Microsoft Access has a decent for designing reports.

2. The content could be updated on a daily basis, but the report is produced on a monthly basis. I've written some formulas which dynamically calculates the number of days in a month and displays ONLY the required amount of days.

3. I'm sorry. I don't really know what you meant by ONLY storing the data in Microsoft Access. I was thinking of creating this as an application to produce this report and also track payments by each rider. There is also another report I would need to produce which comes from the San Diego Association of Government (SANDAG) that tracks slightly different information as well.

Attached is the Tables I was thinking to create in an effort to try to create the report.
Table Designs.PNG

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 01:59
I completely agree with @GPGeorge: You will hardly be able to achieve the "beauty" of your Excel report in Access, even with a lot of effort.
It makes more sense to create a copy of prepared Excel template (XLST) and transfer the necessary data from the Access application to this copy.

MsAccessNL

Local time
Today, 01:59
I have code to transforn an excel sheet/selection ino a report. Post your file and I can see if it works on your sheet.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:59
For starters, you will want to normalize the data. You will NEVER have one row with 31 columns. You will have 0-31 rows. One row for each use of the ride program. Have you designed the tables yet? That is where you need to start.

The report is essentially a crosstab view of the normalized data. The pretty formatting might be challenging.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
fraudulent is misspelled?
I would suggest it depends on your data structure?
So is penalty and falsity - (Wait, is falsity a word? If not, I take that back - that which you invent, you may prescribe the spelling for!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom