Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs (2 Viewers)

Are you a sheep, a wolf, or a sheepdog? PLEASE read the post before voting. Thanks.

• I'm a sheep

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I'm a wolf

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I'm a sheepdog

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 06:37
In the new movie American Sniper, as explained by the young Chris Kyle's father - there are just 3 kinds of people: sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs.
The idea is this: The sheep are the vast majority of society. They are peaceful, gentle, productive, and kind. They could not harm another person except by accident or perhaps in desperation. Almost all of us are in this category. The term "sheep" is not to be taken as an insult, however much it may rankle your self-image. None of us really want to think of ourselves as sheep, but the reality is, when all hell breaks loose, most of us lack the aggression and the fighting skills to survive without any protection. We have a "herd mentality". We avoid danger and we believe there is safety in numbers.
Then there are the wolves - far far fewer in number - maybe 1 in 1000 or 10,000 are wolves. The wolves are the deviants who prey upon the sheep. Rapists, violent offenders, armed robbers, muggers, and worst of all the psychopaths - who kill and maim without mercy or a pang of guilt - they are the wolves. Again, if you look at the number of victims of violent crime as a percent of the overall population, wolves are a rarity. You have as small a chance of being struck by lightning as you have of actually being attacked. OF course it happens but acutally, you have little to fear from the wolves as long as you take precautions and act sensibly. But there is always the chance that you could be a victim.
Then finally, there are the sheepdogs. They have the desire to protect the sheep, and/or hunt the wolves. They have the capacity for violence - they might even like to fight or look for a fight - yet they don't typically harm any sheep. They are the military and the police, and perhaps some others such as prizefighters and firemen.
What do you think of this analysis? I know that for myself, though I don't like to admit it - I'm firmly in the sheep category. The only time in my life I've struck another person was in my childhood, and even then it was without the true desire to inflict injury. It would be nearly inconceivable for me to imagine that I'd every hurt someone on purpose for the sole reason of hurting them. I could not be a sheepdog either - lacking the fighting skills or aggressive nature that would be assets in such a role. I depend on the unlikelyhood of being attacked, and on the sheepdogs to keep me safe.
And what about you?
It's clear to me that wolves can easily masquerade as sheepdogs - and you see that when overzealous cops crack the heads of the meek. Once a wolf is "outed" this way, he is hopefully expelled from the ranks of the sheepdogs, but there is a fine line there.
It is also possible for a sheep to be miscast as a sheepdog. They receive the training and they might have the skill, but when push comes to shove, they lack the murderous impulses to be violent and therefore may fail at protecting the sheep. They also wash out from time to time.
So what are you? Before you answer, take a deep look inside. Don't answer based on what you think you WANT to be - but on what you think you actually ARE.

Last edited:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 09:37
While I was unable to join the military due to health reasons and didn't become a cop due to family reasons (my dad was a cop and absolutely opposed having any of his kids become one), I am still firmly in the sheepdog category. While I have zero desire to prey on others for any reason, I very much have the capablity to harm or kill someone if necessary, although I'm only willing to do so in the defense of others or myself. I can guarantee this because while I have never killed anyone, I have seriously hurt a couple people who desperately needed it. (Rule of thumb: don't start beating on a woman in front of me.)

I also actively enjoy fighting (it's a contest to me), and can (or at least could - I'm 44, out of shape, and overweight now) fight fairly well.

I think it goes with being brought up by someone who was at least partially a sociopath who believed that anyone violating the law or acting in a bad/evil manner forfeits all rights and deserves anything that happens to them. (Reminder - this person was a COP.)

That is also why I am VERY adamant about respecting everyone's rights and just generally doing the right thing - there is a part inside me that would make me a wolf if I allowed it to. Even as it stands, I could shoot someone in the face to stop a murder or a ra** and sleep like a baby that night. It's my last resort, as I firmly believe taking a life unless absolutely necessary to be fundamentally wrong, but I absolutely can and will do it.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 14:37
In America I would think that you have the means to make yourself a sheepdog. Since the law allows you to arm yourselves and protect if needs be.

Whereas here in the UK we are basically forced to be a sheep given that we are simply not allowed the means to defend ourselves without going through a lot of hassle to get a water pistol.

On numerous occasions I wanted to join the marines/police or some sort of service to the public. But having over-protective parents such as mine doesn't allow this - Much like your situation was Frothingslosh.

I know that If someone did attack my sheep (my heard/ Family/ close acquaintances) then I would fight with all of my heart and soul and do what was necessary to help them. I have always been one to help others and always will be. If I see someone getting picked on for noticeably no reason, I will not shy away. It was the way I was raised.

So I will firmly say I am a sheep (not by choice) - But a sheepdog at heart.

Maybe a sheepdog without teeth? :D

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Off-Topic : But not at the same time :

Is that film a good watch? I have heard very good reports about it and was thinking about going to see it.

Best thing is I have read about the person who the film is about before watching the film, So spoilers have already been seen D:

He was an amazing man though, Didn't the opposition have a nickname for him?

Libre

been around a little
Local time
It was a great watch - the movie I mean. But I have trouble when killing and killers - even soldiers - are glorified.
As far as my original question - I believe that very few people are not in the sheep category. I'm not saying you are, but I think it is far more likely for a person to self identify as a sheepdog as opposed to a sheep. Most of us would defend ourselves or loved ones if attacked - but for me, I would vastly prefer to avoid - run from if you want - an attacker, rather than confronting him and fighting.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Well, as I said, I HAVE confronted people and entered fights entirely to protect strangers, and I attempted to join the military but was DQ'd. That's the main reason I said sheepdog. :)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
The sheep and sheepdog categories are not mutually exclusive, imho.

For example: Link

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
It was a great watch - the movie I mean. But I have trouble when killing and killers - even soldiers - are glorified.
As far as my original question - I believe that very few people are not in the sheep category. I'm not saying you are, but I think it is far more likely for a person to self identify as a sheepdog as opposed to a sheep. Most of us would defend ourselves or loved ones if attacked - but for me, I would vastly prefer to avoid - run from if you want - an attacker, rather than confronting him and fighting.

Must give it a watch then.

Also I think it really does come down to what you would do in a situation like that, I have (the same as Frothingslosh) helped complete strangers in need of it from someone and also wanted to join the army/police (maybe still will).

I guess over there in America in certain states, protecting yourself isn't an issue when you are allowed to carry guns (Concealed/Unconcealed). Only someone that was desperate would attack someone with a gun.

Whereas someone who needed £1 could attack someone here without a second thought due to the fact most people walking around are unarmed (maybe not where I come from :D but in the most parts).

Speaking of that, Saw a video of a Muslim woman walking down an english street, and one gypsy child walks up to her (he must have been around 10-12) and demands £10 saying he has got a gun and holding something in his pocket towards the woman. (Bear in mind this child had been terrorizing her for about 2 weeks by this point, so she wore a hidden camera to catch him on tape.)

She refused and he pretended to pull a gun out of his pocket and shoot her, shouted abuse and peddled away on his bike. You then see him turn around and leave his bike in a garden and run back up to her proclaiming "I've got a knife, Give me your purse" and lunges for her bag. She gets away and the Child goes and picks up a house brick and runs at her saying "I'll smash your head in, give me your purse" she nearly gave in because she was so frightened, but just in the lick of time a person in the house they were standing by rushes out of the door and chases the kid off.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour, That day I was ashamed to be in the same country as this pathetic child. Sometimes I wonder whether that situation may have been solved via concealed or unconcealed carry. But I also realise bringing guns into a country with people like that means he may have actually had a weapon.

(If you're wondering why I brought this up, I thought it was relevant as "A sheepdog saved a sheep from a wolf)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Well Dan-cat.....did you get yours!

Nope. I would put myself in the sheep category but I did want to point out that the herd mentality is not always a peaceful one. I think the categorizations are flawed because of this.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
(If you're wondering why I brought this up, I thought it was relevant as "A sheepdog saved a sheep from a wolf)

A sheepdog saved a sheep from a baby wolf wantabee.

How do you feel about the video put out by ISIS showing a child (young wolf) killing innocents without blinking an eye.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
A sheepdog saved a sheep from a baby wolf wantabee.

How do you feel about the video put out by ISIS showing a child (young wolf) killing innocents without blinking an eye.

Are you truly so far lost to all sense and reason that you actually think anyone here will think someone teaching a child to murder is a good thing?

You're starting to look to be even more out of touch with reality than Alex Jones, and that takes some doing.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
It is an atrocity.

I have not seen this video, but teaching a child who is at his most impressionable age to kill innocents without remorse is without question an atrocity.

If he refused I dare say they would have killed him too.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Are you truly so far lost to all sense and reason that you actually think anyone here will think someone teaching a child to murder is a good thing?

Who said anything about that you or anyone thought that teaching a child to kill is GOOD??????come on Frothingslosh,,,, Never mind, in my opinion it is a lost cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom