Hand held GPS (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 13:09
Do they make a handheld GPS that will give me concordances? If so do they have a specific name, what should I google. Anybody have experiences with them?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:09
Google maps on your phone will do that I believe ?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Google maps on your phone will do that I believe ?

All I could find is google map to give me concordances if I give them an address first. What I need is for my phone to give me map concordances right where I am standing. Does anybody know an app that will do that for my phone, or a hand held unit that will do that?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Dick
Can I just check that you do mean latitude and longitude coordinates and not something else entirely

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dick
Can I just check that you do mean latitude and longitude coordinates and not something else entirely

Yes. What I need to do is find one of the corner markers of my property. My brother-in-law metal detected the area for over an hour and could not find it. One of the reasons could be the copper slug embedded in the cement stake could have become dislodged. I have the latitude and longitude coordinates on my deed, so if the app shows me the coordinates I can hopefully dig down and find it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Brilliant!
Certainly a use for GPS that would never have occurred to me
BUT I wonder whether it will really be THAT accurate.
Good luck on your metal detecting

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
hallelujah, just downloaded above mention app and tested it at my wife's nursing home. It displays the least little movement and across the parking lot. When I get home I will write down the coordinates from my deed and move around until the app matches my deed. Thanks to all that helped.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Brilliant!
Certainly a use for GPS that would never have occurred to me
BUT I wonder whether it will really be THAT accurate.
Good luck on your metal detecting

yes, I had my doubts also that it would be that accurate, but as I stated in my other post, the least little movement by me gave me different numbers.
AND A BIG NO. I don't do metal detecting as I find it too irritating to be digging up pull tabs instead of old coins. I leave that up to my brother-in-law. He has been big into it for years. It also goes to prove that everybody is good for something, even brother-in-laws.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ha!
The other point is whether your corner marker is exactly where it should be!

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Ha!

Good point! It wouldn't be the first time someone has moved a landmark.

There is a law in some states that if you use someone's property for X number of years, and the owner doesn't stop you, you can legally claim it as your own.

Does anybody know if that law is applicable any place in the UK.

However, I have seen this one visibley about 5 years ago. I will insert a 6 foot metal stake next to it this time.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Ha!
Did Somebody move the marker. I didn't think that was probable, as the marker is a 4inch x 4 inch cement stake 2 feet into the ground, but of course anything is possible.
I was about to think maybe you were right, because now that I have the coordinates and my phone gives me an extremely accurate reading I still could not find the marker. However, on more googling I found that directions for google map that not only gives me my property lines but by right clicking on that corner of the property and clicking what's here it gives me a pop up with the coordinates. Same as I had with phone. However, it also shows a double line for the back-property line. There is a barbed wire fence about a foot away. At this point I am assumeing that extra line on google map is the fence. I have been digging on only one side of the fence where I remember the marker to be last time I eyeballed it 5 years ago. I should have checked the other line coordinate but thought sure I knew what side of the fence it was on. Laziness I am sure played a part as the other side of the fence has a lot of scrub brush. As soon as I get a chance I will cut down the brush on the other side of the fence, check the second coordinate, and dig. It is more probable that someone moved the fence than someone moved the marker.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi

You might be interested in this thread that I posted earlier today
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=299592

No answers as yet though I have a germ of an idea which involves pulling GPS EXIF data from webcam photos

Anyway, I've spent a couple of hours today looking into getting GPS data into Access.
Whilst doing so I've tested several apps which detect current location on both my iPhone & Windows PCs/tablets. All of them produce very slightly varying coordinates when used in EXACTLY the same place. They appear accurate measuring to 6 d.p. or more but there's clearly some variance in the methodology used to calculate the data

So your marker may not have moved.
The app you are using is almost certainly not identical to the original device used to determine the coordinates in your deeds

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Hi

You might be interested in this thread that I posted earlier today
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=299592

No answers as yet though I have a germ of an idea which involves pulling GPS EXIF data from webcam photos

Anyway, I've spent a couple of hours today looking into getting GPS data into Access.
Whilst doing so I've tested several apps which detect current location on both my iPhone & Windows PCs/tablets. All of them produce very slightly varying coordinates when used in EXACTLY the same place. They appear accurate measuring to 6 d.p. or more but there's clearly some variance in the methodology used to calculate the data

So your marker may not have moved.
The app you are using is almost certainly not identical to the original device used to determine the coordinates in your deeds

Thanks, very interesting. I will look it over some more when I am not so sleepy. If you ever come to FL look me up. I will treat you to one of the best Chinese buffet in the states.

It also reminded me of another question I need to post separately from this thread, but I will lay it on you now anyways. Have you ever heard of downloading bank info into excel? I am in the process of changing banks and they said that I can use quicken, which, I already use with the old bank or excel, but nobody at the bank knows how.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks, very interesting. I will look it over some more when I am not so sleepy. If you ever come to FL look me up. I will treat you to one of the best Chinese buffet in the states.

It also reminded me of another question I need to post separately from this thread, but I will lay it on you now anyways. Have you ever heard of downloading bank info into excel? I am in the process of changing banks and they said that I can use quicken, which, I already use with the old bank or excel, but nobody at the bank knows how.

Your bank should offer a number of formats for downloading statements.
For example, mine offers a range of old formats including Quicken 97/98/2000/2001/2002 & Microsoft Works (!) which hasn't been sold for almost 20 years. However more useful formats include CSV which can easily be imported into Excel.

I've asked my online bank to also offer JSON & XML formats which create smaller files & are more efficient to import (especially JSON)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 605

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom