question about froms (1 Viewer)

timfitz256

Local time
Today, 05:26
I'm new, very new to Access. I've created a database for inventory control, plus some other things also. I have a main form for when I add a new asset, upon interring the information for that asset, I have a tab on the form called "Deployment Checklist". I've build this Deployment Checklist as a table and have connected it to the form as a "subform". It looks great and does what I want it to do, except, when I save the form for that asset, it updates all the assets and the "Deployment Checklist" table also. I don't want this to do that. I want this tagged to this one asset, not all. I can't seem to find a way to stop it from updating it all. I would understand if it was connected in the relationships, but it's not..

What can I do to get this from updating all records, I just want this to update for this one asset.

Any help would be apricated.
Thanks,

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF! It would be hard to say what is wrong with the form without seeing it. Are you able to post a demo version of your new db?

timfitz256

Local time
don't know if this will help.. here's a snapshot of my form in form view..

fornsnapshot.JPG

The check you see refers back to a table..

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:26
Sounds like you are not using a junction table. Please post a picture of your relationships. Make sure that all the columns are visible and the window isn't jumbled as it can sometime get that way.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't see a checklist table.

Just FYI, naming all the pk's ID just causes confusion. Normally, the PK will have a name that relates it to the table such as ContactID, LocationID. Then the FK field that links to that PK would have the same name.

It is only where you have a self referencing table or need multiple references to a single table that you need to deviate.

Also, best practice is to use object names constructed from only letters (upper and lower), numbers, and the underscore. Using embedded spaces or any character other than those mentioned causes Access to require you to encase the name in square brackets and sometimes, Access will actually change the name and substitute underscores for the offending characters.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Like Pat, I don't see a Table that looks appropriate for your Deployment Checklist...but, going by
...when I save the form for that asset, it updates all the assets and the "Deployment Checklist" table also. I don't want this to do that. I want this tagged to this one asset, not all...
it sounds as if you don't have a Field that is common to the assets Table and the checklist Table...something needed to make the checklist items only be associated with a given asset.

It sounds as if you've simply placed the checklist Form on the Assets Form...you have not actually made it a Subform.

In Design View...if you select the Checklist Form...then go to Properties - Data...are there Fields listed in the Link Master and Link Child Properties?

Linq ;0)>

Last edited:

timfitz256

Local time
Ok. I've renamed the ID's, which cause me some issue that I fixed.. I included the checklist in the relationships window.. it has no relationship.. I have embeded the checklist as a subform..

Thanks for all the help... I really apricate this.. Like I said, I'm new at this, so don't be to hard on me.. LOL

relationships2.JPG
formsnapshot2.JPG

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
...I included the checklist in the relationships window.. it has no relationship.. I have embeded the checklist as a subform...

That's your problem! You can't have the Checklist Form as a Subform if it's not related to the Assets Form! You need to have the Checklist Table related to the Assets Table!

You need to
  1. Add a new Field (AssetID) to the BuildChecklist Table.
  2. Now...in Form Design View
  3. Select the Checklist Form
  4. Go to Properties - Data
  5. In the Link Master and Link Child Properties add AssetID

I think you'll be set, now.

Linq ;0)>

timfitz256

Local time
I apricate all the help.. but I'm about to pull what's left of my hair out.. about to just give up on this.. I'm beginning if this is not something that a micro should fix?? like I said, I'm very new at Access so I really don't know...

I tried what you suggest, and for a minute I thought this might be the answer..
Once I add the field to the checklist "AssetID", what "data type" do I give it, maybe that's my problem there?? I was linking it to the asset table?? not sure to what data type I should assign if any at all..??

when I do the master link and child link, it clears my list out down to only one line, which is blank, and it wants to add new items on the checklist, which is something that I don't want to do.. I want to be able to see the items I have on the checklist... go down the list, check them off... leave comments.. and it be saved for that asset only.. not all assets.. etc..

again.. thanks so much for your help..

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:26
Hi

I would think it is down to the Format of your Subform.

I would delete the subform you currently have for the Checklist.

Then create a Continuous Form using the Form Wizard based on the Checklist table.

Then add this new subform to your Assets form and link Master Child again on AssetID

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom