we seem to be getting more visitors lately.... (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 09:27
Really? Then I guess I wasted my time pointing that out about a week ago. I don't think I called it annoying but that was the message I was politely trying to get across.
well as you can probably tell by now Micron, I don't pay much attention to these things, which I've always considered "marginal" at best. But like I've already said, I'll stop doing it since so many people here seem to be against it. I write this way on the net but I certainly don't speak that way in real life. That's one of the reason I hate internet communication. It's so impersonal. I don't see how people can instill any trust by doing it.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:27
Bingo! My kids seem to all prefer texting and I think it's stupid. It takes 30 minutes for 2 people to complete a text 'conversation' that can be accomplished in 2 minutes, and texting is way less personal. Like I told you in the other post - what our brains can skip over and still correctly process is amazing - if it resembles what it's supposed to. Reading your stuff is like tongue twisters, but for the brain and eyes. In short, it's so much work that it borders on annoying (OK maybe for others is full blown annoying). I wonder if you've ever had to read much of it, or if you just write it and move on.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, Tera, your comments were not out of line considering we are in the Watercooler section. We try to avoid vulgarity, and actual name-calling is terribly frowned upon unless it is clearly in jest, but a dialog on linguistic skills doesn't, to me, cross any boundaries whatsoever.

As to 12 Angry Men, in my high school I was a cast member when we staged that play. (I played as the bigot, who was juror #10 as the script was presented to us.) Great play, great experience.

Back to topic, this thread has drifted to a discussion of skills or lack of same. I know that I try to watch my language and my syntax in answering any question. Many of us do that as a matter of course. But I have to also remember the Parable of the Sower and the Seeds. We cannot chastise a field just because it only yields 60 bushels of grain, not 80 or 100. The field is what it is and does what it does based on its ability. It is wrong to chastise something for being true to its nature.

Therefore, while calling out irony in Adam's statement, I tried to avoid rudeness as well. Which is why my comments included two tangential apologies for daring to answer the question he actually asked. What's that old saying? Beware of asking for what you want, you might actually get it.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I wonder if you've ever had to read much of it, or if you just write it and move on.
if i'm answering a question, i never 'move on'. that would be like leaving someone out in the cold, the deep end of the pool, up the creek without a paddle. i re-read my own stuff all the time and I never have an issue following it.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
TDM - I think it's
Beware of what you ask for...
the inference being that it may not be what you really want.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've heard many variations, Micron. The implication either way is that you can ask but it is possible that what you requested wasn't in your own best interests.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
i re-read my own stuff all the time and I never have an issue following it.
Interesting. Then being the author, you must have some sort of 'mental map' that allows you to process such words much easier. To be clear, I'm saying it's actually hard to read. I'm not sure if the objections of some others are only about poor grammar or not.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I'm not sure if the objections of some others are only about poor grammar or not.
it's funny you mention that Micron, because most of the software and hardware people I've worked with in my short career have absolutely horrible grammar usage when they talk in person, and I'm not just talking about the foreigners either. actually when it comes to this issue, the foreigners are better than the US citizens! I've even had supervisors fall into this category of people with poor grammar.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't want to imply that my grammar is impeccable as I probably violate rules around using "who" when I should use "whom" or some other obscure rule. Plus, don't ask me about things like "dangling participle" because every time I look it up, I remember what that means for about a day at most. I just Googled 'common grammar errors" and came across a test that I took for fun. It was too easy - got 15 out of 15. I'm going to look for a more challenging one. What was interesting is that what I thought might have been more about spelling they characterized as grammar errors. Improper use of lose/loose; losing/loosing; vice/vise; break/brake; then/than; advise/advice is becoming very prevalent and I don't think it's because of English being a second language. If you grew up in North America (OK, or UK) you should know the difference between then and than for crying out loud. If not, then I admire anyone who can communicate in English at any level because they're better at it than I am at any other language.

http://www.softschools.com/quizzes/grammar/common_grammar_mistakes/quiz3374.html

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:27
In my experience across multiple forums, many respondents whose spelling and grammar are both excellent are those for whom English isn't their first language

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Improper use of lose/loose; losing/loosing; vice/vise; break/brake; then/than; advise/advice
the most common mistake I see from Americans, even people who are highly educated, is:

You're vs. Your.

Everybody makes the mistake of writing "your" when they're using "you're" in a sentence.
many respondents whose spelling and grammar are both excellent are those for whom English isn't their first language
I'm not sure I can agree with this one!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Originally Posted by isladogs
many respondents whose spelling and grammar are both excellent are those for whom English isn't their first language
I'm not sure I can agree with this one!
I can. "Many" and "multiple" makes it close enough to the truth for me.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
True, but doesn't seem to work if the first language is Cajun.

As the old joke goes, {begin Cajun accent} you can larn a feller how to do anyt'ing as long as you unlarn him how to do t'at Cajun style. {end Cajun accent} I heard that from some of my wife's Cajun cousins. They talk funny, but HOOOO BOY can they cook!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:27
back 10 years ago when I vanished from here, I remember it being very busy and there a lot of questions being asked like every day. Then when I came back like 4 months ago, I remember watching who was online everyday and there didn't seem to be that many people, nor were there a lot of questions being asked. But lately that seems to be changing. There are a lot of people introducing themselves here, telling us that they've found us via a google search, etc...

Could it be that we are just kicking that much ass around here? Regardless if lately it has been getting busy, I remember the time before I first vanished, and it seemed like it was way busier back in those days than it is now. True anyone?

In the heyday there were too few people to answer too many questions. Now I think it's the reverse, not sure if the number of questions has reduced significantly, but there are definitely more people available to answer them. I also note that many of the people who answer questions here also answer questions on several other forums. This might be an indication in a downturn, it might be because the site has occasionally been flaky, not really sure. If you want to do further investigation yourself you might find this thread a good start:- Checking AWF hit Count...

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
This might be an indication in a downturn, it might be because the site has occasionally been flaky, not really sure. If you want to do further investigation yourself you might find this thread a good start:- Checking AWF hit Count...
VERY informative post, Tony. Thanks man! In my opinion, Access won't go away anytime soon because small business people and beginners (who are plentiful nowadays) need something like it. The reasoning (IMO):

• it is free (with office)
  • it is not as tough to learn as web languages
  • it can automate tasks just as good as the big players
  • even though smaller than the big boys, it can still handle a huge amount of data
on a side note, have you seen this article? I'm sure MS and a lot of the other big business geniuses would rather Access die so they don't have to deal with an unprofitable legacy dog:

https://medium.com/young-coder/micr...-database-software-that-wont-die-5b09e389c166

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:27
  • it is free (with office)

Yeah, that whole Office thing is being revamped into Office 365 a cloud based - subscription based product.

So everyone that uses the $ sign in Micro$oft may want to double down on that. Micro$$oft

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom