Challenge to disable the shift bypass (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:52
A member at Utter Access posed a challenge in this thread
Challenge for CyberCow, R. Hicks and isladogs
Okay I know that you 3 are really good on Security.
What I would like to see is an App ... that will auto disable the Shift Bypass key.
BUT make it that if anyone ever tries to use the Shift Bypass Key that it will "Self-Destruct" the database.
Here's the deal, After you build your access App database and save it as an .accde and send it out to your end users
then no one should ever need to get back into it, Correct?
The developer will always have the master copy.
So what would be great is that if anyone ever tries to use the Shift Bypass that it will "Self-Destruct" the database. "Well In Theory"
Maybe have it just totally delete it self and not go to the Trashcan and no way to get it back.
Maybe it would just Delete ALL of the Forms out of the database would even work great.
I think if anybody is trying to use the Shift Bypass key then all they are just trying to do is break into your database.
I think out of you 3 Security Masters that you could make an simple App that would do this.
What are your thoughts on this??

There were many critical responses to the idea of self destructing an app that may well have been purchased legally.
I agreed with those comments and wrote the following in reply:
- no Access file can ever be made 100% secure, If your apps are mission critical, Access isn't suitable
- you should never apply code that 'nukes' an application

Having said that, It is possible to make it very difficult to bypass the shift bypass.
As I already had this code as part of a much more secure demo app, I thought I may as well post it here.

Attached are 32-bit & 64-bit ACCDE files to demonstrate how it can be done.
The password to open either of these is isladogs
Capture.PNG

When you open the app, the shift bypass is disabled.

Click the button to enable the shift bypass & restart the app. Note what happens
If anyone is interested, please email me for an explanation
NOTE:
I am very aware that there are still ways to get around this lockdown.
However it will defeat 'casual hacking' (especially if combined with other security measures)

Attachments

• ShiftBypassQuit64.zip
    665.2 KB · Views: 219
  • ShiftBypassQuit32.zip
    665 KB · Views: 168

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:52
I might have missed something. When I opened, I got the password prompt, entered it, closed and attempted to reopen with shift. I saw nothing and the nav pane had no objects. I did my usual thing for this sort of situation, reopened and got the prompt again, so I guess I disabled it no problem? If that sounds correct, I was expecting something a lot harder seeing that it's coming from you :)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I might have missed something. When I opened, I got the password prompt, entered it, closed and attempted to reopen with shift. I saw nothing and the nav pane had no objects. I did my usual thing for this sort of situation, reopened and got the prompt again, so I guess I disabled it no problem? If that sounds correct, I was expecting something a lot harder seeing that it's coming from you :)

Hi Micron
The main issue I have developing these types of app is not locking myself out whilst implementing the security!
However, as previously stated no Access app is ever 100% secure and I know at least one 'back door'.
Indeed, as the main form says, this is a cut down version of another more secure app I have created.

You didn't say whether you managed to re-enable the shift bypass and then open the main form.
What I think you saw was the expected behaviour.

If opened normally, the shift bypass is disabled again automatically.
If you get around that by using code externally, there are various other measures in place.

For example
a) the main form cannot be opened from the navigation pane.
b) the shift bypass state is checked and, if it is enabled, the app quits

If you saw something different, let me know preferably via PM or email. I may have overlooked something

Last edited:

milly62

Local time
Today, 11:52
Hello. I followed the steps from .....https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/access/disable-database-startup-options...... and I modified a database. Now it is with ShiftKey enable. How can I re-enter to change it?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Milly
Welcome to AWF.
I see this has been cross posted at https://www.utteraccess.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1263110&hl=.
Please read this link about the etiquette of crossposting https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

As for your question, the problem is that we have no means of knowing whether you are authorised to open this database with any security features disabled. Therefore I'm not going to tell you how its done and I hope nobody else will do so either.
All I will say is that it is done externally using code.
Did you make a backup before you disabled the shift bypass?

If there is a password, you will need to know what that is in order to gain access.
Good luck

milly62

Local time
Hi Milly
Welcome to AWF.
I see this has been cross posted at https://www.utteraccess.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1263110&hl=.
Please read this link about the etiquette of crossposting https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

As for your question, the problem is that we have no means of knowing whether you are authorised to open this database with any security features disabled. Therefore I'm not going to tell you how its done and I hope nobody else will do so either.
All I will say is that it is done externally using code.
Did you make a backup before you disabled the shift bypass?

If there is a password, you will need to know what that is in order to gain access.
Good luck

Okay. I understood what the point of view was. However, I will assure you that the database belongs to me. I did not put a password but simply entered the code in vba and the command in "immediate window".

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
So did you make a recent backup beforehand?
If not, you will need to research how to bypass the shift bypass yourself.

I'm sorry but there is no way you can convince anyone here on the forum about the ownership of your application.
Good luck

milly62

Local time
So did you make a recent backup beforehand?
If not, you will need to research how to bypass the shift bypass yourself.

I'm sorry but there is no way you can convince anyone here on the forum about the ownership of your application.

OK thanks. To my luck I made a copy.

milly62

Local time
And now another question.
In an access form I have several fields.

I would like to help someone solve the following problem.
When I select one field the other fields are displayed.
See the pictures attached.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2020-03-25_10-43-01.png
    2020-03-25_10-43-01.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 134

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi,

I agree with Colin's (@isladogs) caution, however ...

... if you followed the instructions in the link you provided (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/access/disable-database-startup-options), then that link also contains your solution.

1. Open your database
2. Open the VBA editor (Alt + F11)
If you want to enable the shift key, type ap_EnableShift in the Immediate window, and then press ENTER.

With regards to your new question, it would probably be better to start a new thread as it's unrelated to this one. But to nudge you in the right direction, you can use the AfterUpdate event of the checkbox:
Code:
Private Sub CheckBoxName_AfterUpdate()

With Me
    .FirstTextBoxName.Visible = .CheckBoxName
    .SecondTextBoxName.Visible = .CheckBoxName
  End With

End Sub

hth,

d

milly62

Local time
Thanks cheekybuddha
Regarding the first problem I introduced ap_DisableShift in Immediate window and then I pressed Enter
Now when I want to open the database it only opens in DISABLE SHIFT.
The Alt + F11 key doesn't work either.

Regarding the second problem THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'll try it as soon as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom