Attach a subroutine to an unbound Text box? (1 Viewer)

foxxrunning

Local time
Today, 16:37
Yes. Fantastic. How did you get it to create the sum?? I see you used =Sum[CD1] but did you just assign that to a text box on the footer or did Access actually do it via the Sigma icon in the Design Tab? This does exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes. Fantastic. How did you get it to create the sum?? I see you used =Sum[CD1] but did you just assign that to a text box on the footer or did Access actually do it via the Sigma icon in the Design Tab? This does exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.
Hi. I used the Sigma icon, and Access added the box in the footer.

foxxrunning

Local time
So it seems we have come to the end. I tried to use the Sigma icon and everything was grayed out but Count Records. You used the same icon and Sum was not grayed out. Is there any explanation that you can think of to explain why that might be? I knew about the Sigma icon to sum a field, but it was not available to me. So finally, I do want to thank you for the time you have spent of this, and for your efforts to help me.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
So it seems we have come to the end. I tried to use the Sigma icon and everything was grayed out but Count Records. You used the same icon and Sum was not grayed out. Is there any explanation that you can think of to explain why that might be? I knew about the Sigma icon to sum a field, but it was not available to me. So finally, I do want to thank you for the time you have spent of this, and for your efforts to help me.
Hi. You're welcome. If you take the file I posted and select the first textbox with CD1 in it and then click on the Sigma icon, do you still not see the Sum option as available?

sum.png

foxxrunning

Local time
Yes, Sum is available to me in the one you sent to me. In mine originally Sum was grayed out. From what I can see, you just changed the query to add the CD1 and CD2 fields with the code you had sent to me. Then you placed CD1 and CD2 on the report. Is that all that was done. If so, I think my version of the report must be corrupted in some way and will recreate it and see if everything will work then. Why do you think the original way of placing the code in the Control Source for each of the txtboxes did not work, and placing the same code in the query builder did work? I am trying to learn to be able to use Access properly and this is a big question for me.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, Sum is available to me in the one you sent to me. In mine originally Sum was grayed out. From what I can see, you just changed the query to add the CD1 and CD2 fields with the code you had sent to me. Then you placed CD1 and CD2 on the report. Is that all that was done. If so, I think my version of the report must be corrupted in some way and will recreate it and see if everything will work then. Why do you think the original way of placing the code in the Control Source for each of the txtboxes did not work, and placing the same code in the query builder did work? I am trying to learn to be able to use Access properly and this is a big question for me.
Hi. My guess is sometimes, menus and wizards have a strict or limited set of rules to follow. Sometimes, even if the button or option is not available, you may still be able to force it manually. That's not what I did in my case, but it might work in yours.

foxxrunning

Local time
Do you mean by "force it manually" to just place the =Sum[CD1] expression in the footer in a txtbox?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Do you mean by "force it manually" to just place the =Sum[CD1] expression in the footer in a txtbox?
Yes! I'm not saying it's guaranteed to work; but sometimes, you can manually force something when the Wizards can't handle it.

foxxrunning

Local time
Thanks, I got it. It has been a long and interesting ride. Your help has been fantastic. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom