Newbie trying to create schedule database (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:29
You accused us of not looking. OK, I looked at the DB. Your only table has essentially an ID, a check box, and ONE FIELD that contains names, some sort or course-related info, and a time slot ALL TOGETHER IN ONE FIELD. This is not how Access works. You have not less than four fields worth of data compressed into the single field in the table I saw in the DB.

You suggest that we aren't helpful. OK, I can see how, from your viewpoint, you would say that. You surely didn't hear what you expected or wanted to hear. But let me explain something to you, and this is NOT intended to be nasty - but it IS intended as a dose of reality. You should understand that I am not reacting to what you built, but to your attitude when we dared comment that there might be some serious structural issues.

You want us to help you fix a database for which there is clear visual evidence that you don't understand Access very well and are thinking along Excel-oriented lines in that design. That actually isn't a sin and it IS correctable - but it requires you to do a bit of work up front. That's the power and the peril of Access. It can do some really impressive things - but the more you want out, the more you have to put in. It is NOT for the faint of heart.

Many of us enjoy working on a reasonably structured DB with a specific problem. What YOU have has SO many problems because of the way it is designed (I refer to the DB, not the spreadsheet) that you would do better to completely start over again - but only after learning about concepts of normalization. What you have violates two of the three rules for "Normal Forms" and might violate the third, though that one is harder to figure out.

What you have asked us to do is fix something that had no chance of working in the state that you presented it.

I sincerely hope you can work with theDBguy because he's good. But you need to develop a thick skin because he is going to have to tear apart what you built. If you let your ego get in the way, you will find difficulty in accepting what I anticipate that he will tell you.

For the record, your spreadsheet is NOT 80% of what you need to do. What you need to do is based on the formal procedures of HOW you use the spreadsheet. You are nowhere near being ready to implement things in Access. But I'm confident in theDBguy's abilities and he won't steer you wrong.

Ettiene

Local time
Today, 17:29
You accused us of not looking. OK, I looked at the DB. Your only table has essentially an ID, a check box, and ONE FIELD that contains names, some sort or course-related info, and a time slot ALL TOGETHER IN ONE FIELD. This is not how Access works. You have not less than four fields worth of data compressed into the single field in the table I saw in the DB.

Is it possible to link five separate fields (student number, name, surname, current hour and current lesson content) into one dropdown? So that you open one drop down and all of this appears in the dropdown?

For the record, your spreadsheet is NOT 80% of what you need to do. What you need to do is based on the formal procedures of HOW you use the spreadsheet. You are nowhere near being ready to implement things in Access. But I'm confident in theDBguy's abilities and he won't steer you wrong.

I mean't its 80% of how the final product must look and interact with the user. I added as an visual aid

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:29
s it possible to link five separate fields (student number, name, surname, current hour and current lesson content) into one dropdown? So that you open one drop down and all of this appears in the dropdown?

See this thread:-

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Is it possible to link five separate fields (student number, name, surname, current hour and current lesson content) into one dropdown? So that you open one drop down and all of this appears in the dropdown?

It certainly is - a combo's row source can be from one table or many;
1588180694867.png

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Ah! I thought you meant field names. Ignore my answer, and see Minty's...

It certainly is - a combo's row source can be from one table or many;

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Further to Minty's answer I have a video on my website here:-

which demonstrates how you can extract the data from the combo box and display the DATA in Text-boxes. You could practically duplicate what Minty has shown by following the instructions in the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom