How to limit printed pages in chrome? (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 16:26
Is there any way to make Chrome print only the first page?

I print web pages maybe more than a hundred times a day. But I need to print only the first page. Every time I had to click Pages in print dialogue box, select Custom and then type 1 in Pages text box.

Is there any way to automate this?
Any paid/free solution/extension is appreciated.
I can use others web browsers if necessary.

Thanks for your advice.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:26
The only thing I can think of is a macro recorder - one that records mouse and keyboard input and will replicate it from then on. Once you've recorded the inputs, it's a matter of running the macro and sit back and watch and wait. Been years since I used one, but I think they're available for Windows but that would require you to install a program. I don't know if Windows has the capability built in.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 10:26
Send keys:

Essentially its a macro that runs keyboard commands. For example:

Ctrl + P opens the print dialog,

Tab, Tab, Tab, Tab, Tab, Tab in my chrome moves the cursor to the page number drop down

etc. etc.

You create a batch file script to do all those send keys to print from your browser, create a shortcut for that batch file and you can even assign opening the batch file its own key sequence to run (e.g. Ctrl + Alt + H). So you just hit Crtl + Alt + H it opens and runs your batch file that has all the keystrokes needed.

deletedT

Local time
I have a Space Mouse that can be programmed to do a series of automated jobs. Chrome failed to print the first page. Maybe because the send key process is too fast and before the print dialogue box is opened the whole set of keys are sent to memory and chrome is not able to change the default focus. So my space mouse was not able to help me.

I'll try to use a batch file as you explained to see if it works.
Thanks for your input.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 23:26
on Chrome:

Ctrl-Shf-P
Alt-G, 1
Enter

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 10:26
I am sure there's a pause/wait command that you can have between keys to delay it enough to catch.

deletedT

Local time
on Chrome:
Ctrl-Shf-P
Alt-G, 1
Enter

@arnelgp
I have the following problems with your solution:
  1. ctrl+shft+p brings up chrome older print dialogue. No problem with that, but this dialogue shows only physical printers. It means chrome's Save as PDF printer is not listed. I can use Microsoft Print to PDF instead. But chrome doesn't remember the last selected printer. It means each time print job is sent to default printer, not Microsoft Print to PDF.
  2. Alt+G doesn't activate pages text box. Hence 1 is ignored because the focus is still on Print button. It means again all pages are printed.

Any further advice (if any) is appreciated.

deletedT

Local time
Send keys:

Essentially its a macro that runs keyboard commands. For example:

Ctrl + P opens the print dialog,

Tab, Tab, Tab, Tab, Tab, Tab in my chrome moves the cursor to the page number drop down

etc. etc.

You create a batch file script to do all those send keys to print from your browser, create a shortcut for that batch file and you can even assign opening the batch file its own key sequence to run (e.g. Ctrl + Alt + H). So you just hit Crtl + Alt + H it opens and runs your batch file that has all the keystrokes needed.

I don't know if I'm following your advice correctly or not but I saved a vbs file containing send keys and pause commands. and while in chrome, I run the vbs script with a short cut.
But Chrome doesn't respond to send keys. Maybe because the focus is on the script not chrome.

Thanks anyway.

arnelgp

Local time
then you would need to change the Default printer (win-start->device and printer).

deletedT

Local time
then you would need to change the Default printer (win-start->device and printer).
Still Alt+G 1 doesn't respond. All pages are printed.
Maybe new versions of Chrome has removed that short cut.

arnelgp

Local time
it's Alt-g, then enter 1 (for page number)
then Enter to print.

just downloaded the latest version just so i can be of help.

deletedT

Local time
it's Alt-g, then enter 1 (for page number)
then Enter to print.

just downloaded the latest version just so i can be of help.

Million thanks for helping.
I tested on several pages. It seems that print dialogue box behaves differently based on the nature of the page.
In some pages Alt+G works. But in some pages it's grayed out.
Check the following :

In some pages, Pages option is grayed out. As far as I checked, these pages are SSL encrypted. We receive orders from our customers through these encrypted pages. It means Alt+G doesn't respond and the whole page is printed.
Important Note: In this case if I try the default print dialogue, I'm able to manually select printing only page 1.

2020-05-15_14-45-47.jpg

This is other web pages with pages option available to be used.

2020-05-15_14-45-28.jpg

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:26
Even if it did work do you want to do that 100 times a day? If you installed a recorder and hit your shortcut key combo your desired actions could be automatically repeated. I only mention this because you said installing a program was not a problem.

deletedT

Local time
Even if it did work do you want to do that 100 times a day? If you installed a recorder and hit your shortcut key combo your desired actions could be automatically repeated. I only mention this because you said installing a program was not a problem.
I had not enough time to search for a recorder. It's in my to-do-list for Saturday morning. (7 hours from now).
If I can find a program that can do it for me, it would be a great help.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for not being able to follow sooner.

deletedT

Local time
Have you tried Excel to record a macro?
I can't follow your advice. How can I use a macro recorded in Excel to print a page in chrome?
Is it different with type writing a vbs file and run it?
I little more on your approach would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:

deletedT

Local time
I ended up purchasing Macro Recorder 139.95 USD. But it can do nothing on it's own. This application needs Phrase Express to be able to run from a short cut.
Now I have two application sitting in my task bar, using my memory just to be able printing only first page.
Thank you Google.(Previous versions of chrome used to be able to print only first page)

@Micron, thanks for your help and advice.
@Anybody who is reading : I'm still in search of a way to be able to print only first page. Any new idea is much appreciated. (maybe another application that can be used on its own, not depend on another one)

Million thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom