I can't write SQL Statements. (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:24
I can't write SQL Statements.
I, and I suspect many other MS Access developers struggle to write SQL Statements. The reason? they seldom have to write them, MS Access has a marvellous interface for making it very simple and easy to create an SQL Statement hence as a developer I rarely have to sit down and work out how to build one, in fact, when I do, I often find myself searching for examples with Google.

In this YouTube Video I demonstrate how you can build an SQL Statement without writing any SQL!

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:24
I largely agree with you about writing SQL statements. But I use the Access query interface to generate SQL faster and more accurately for posting into code with any tweaking as necessary. Same thing when I need to generate code for automation with Excel, Word and other Office products.

So lack of proficiency is an outcome of having tools to get an outcome more efficiently and effectively. By the way, I'm not so good at machine level coding as I used to be, nor shifting gears in manual transmission cars.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:24
nor shifting gears in manual transmission cars.
Now there's a reference you don't see every day! I'd like to see if I can still shift through 13 speeds on a Fuller RT915. Probably not.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
nor shifting gears in manual transmission cars.

I am fortunate in that I have flip-flopped between manual and automatic over the years. I'm quite happy in either. Currently I have an automatic car and a gear shift truck.

I recall one of my early experiences when I was young and silly (I'm just old and silly now) I had been driving an automatic for about a year, I think it was the first one I ever drove. Anyway, I switched back to a stick shift. I was going a bit too fast along this dual carriageway, there was some obstruction or other, and I had to slow down. In half a panic, I stomped on what I thought was the brake, but was actually the clutch! The effect was, I lost the engine braking and it appeared to me that the vehicle actually sped up! It scared the bejesus out of me!

That incident left me with healthy respect when I switch from one type of transmission to the other!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Ha! That's what happens when you drive an automatic using two feet - on for the accelerator, the other for the brake! That's a habit you should break if you're guilty of it.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
That's a habit you should break if you're guilty of it.

Exactly, Yes, that's the lesson I learnt. Now when I am driving an automatic I tuck my left leg (UK right hand drive car) sort of... under the seat, if you know what I mean. So that I only using my right leg for the throttle and accelerator...

Good Looking Bloke

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:24
I have an automatic again now...Every day I wish I hadn't bought it and had gone the manual route. There is something better with manuals

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
There is something better with manuals

I do like manual better, I think it's because in the UK we have so many windy roads, you need that powerful acceleration you can get with a manual. Mind you modern automatics are as good as manual I reckon. I will say that it is very relaxing driving an automatic. I suspect the reason that the Americans prefer automatics is because they have miles and miles of empty roads where there's no need to shift a gear at all. I wonder Americans living in the mountainous parts of America, do they prefer a gear shift?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I tuck my left leg (UK right hand drive car) sort of... under the seat,
Umm, I might not do that. If you get into a roll your body might move around a bit - independent of your foot.
Or in case of a frontal collision, your seat might move. I hope you're strapped in...

deletedT

Local time
Here, We have two types of driving licences. One for driving only Automatic transmission cars, that cost around $3000 USD, One that allows driving both manual and automatic transmission cars that costs around $3,354 USD.
Most people get their driving license after getting their first job, because it's expensive and it's not necessary until they are on their own. It makes the average age of 24/25 years old for new drivers.

Very few people go for the second type of licence, because actually you can't find a manual transmission car anymore. When my two kids were 18, I told them I will pay for their license only if they go for the second type. It's harder, it takes 3 weeks longer to take, and it's more expensive. But I thought someday being able to drive a manual shift car may have a benefit in their lives. They accepted and went for the hard one.

They are 28 & 26 years old now, never needed to drive a manual transmission car. I kind of regret paying for the extra fee.
You can not find any manual transmission car here. Even trucks are AT or semi AT. Most of our famous car companies had bulletins saying they're quitting manufacturing manual transmission cars, except some very rare models for high level race cars.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Is that $3,000 for life? I have to get a new license every 5 years. The current fee is $90 CDN (less if you are replacing an unexpired one) but I have no idea how much I have spent on that over my driving lifetime. Not anywhere near 3k, that's for sure. Having 2 different fees for that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Now having different fees for other licenses for things like bus, truck, motorcycle makes sense.

deletedT

Local time
Is that $3,000 for life? I have to get a new license every 5 years. The current fee is $90 CDN (less if you are replacing an unexpired one) but I have no idea how much I have spent on that over my driving lifetime. Not anywhere near 3k, that's for sure. Having 2 different fees for that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Now having different fees for other licenses for things like bus, truck, motorcycle makes sense.
The first driving licence we get is green and expires after 3 years. After 3 years we have to do an eye test. No problem with our eyes? then we have to take a 2 hours class on driving safety, and watch a series of videos on how using mobile, devices while driving is dangerous, etc.... then we pay $20 USD for the expense and take a new blue driving licence for 5 years.

If we don't have a car accident, or traffic violation, the next driving licence is Gold. It means it expires 10 years, our car insurance fee drops, and several other benefits. So most people tend to keep their gold license.

If we do any traffic violation or cause a car accident, our license changes back to blue, loose all the benefits and have to renew it every 5 years.

Edit : the test I explained above, is necessary for each time we renew our license. If Gold, it's every 10 years, it's cheaper and faster and the class is shorter. If not, it's every 5 years, and more expensive and the class takes longer .

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:24
I'm pretty comfortable in SQL view, perhaps because I work with SQL Server a lot. It can still be much quicker to start in design view to get the basics and then tweak in SQL view. However, I hate all the parentheses and such that design view will add.

I suspect the reason that the Americans prefer automatics is because they have miles and miles of empty roads where there's no need to shift a gear at all. I wonder Americans living in the mountainous parts of America, do they prefer a gear shift?

Actually both parts of this apply to me. I live in a mountainous area, but to get to other cities I have long drives over empty roads. I've always preferred and mostly had manual transmissions but my current car has a DSG automatic. It gives you the prompt acceleration you mention along with very quick shifts and the better gas mileage of a manual. I can put it in manual mode and use the stick or paddle shifters when I want full control. It is a lot of fun to drive on a twisty road. ;)

@Tera , $3k for a license? Yikes!! Ours is something like $30-50 every 4 years.

deletedT

Local time
@Tera , $3k for a license? Yikes!! Ours is something like $30-50 every 4 years.
Yes, it's ridiculous. $3K for a license. That's why we're called the most expensive country in the world and nobody likes to come and live here. :cry:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
There was a time when manuals were (generally) more fuel efficient. I very much doubt that is the case now. It's not hard to spot a car with a manual - it's stopped at a light and no brake lights are on (but they were when it pulled up in line). Then there's the guy who slips the car forward, rolls back, slips forward over and over again and wonders why he goes through so many clutches and flywheels. Sorry to UG, it seems that I'm not helping stay on track with the subject of writing sql.

I can do the most basic but not too much more because the query interface takes away the opportunity to practice. I get deeper into it if I need to call a function or calculate a field but even that involves the interface. Sub queries are what makes me write sql since you usually don't have a lot of other approaches you can use.

Good Looking Bloke

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:24
There was a time when manuals were (generally) more fuel efficient. I very much doubt that is the case now. It's not hard to spot a car with a manual - it's stopped at a light and no brake lights are on (but they were when it pulled up in line). Then there's the guy who slips the car forward, rolls back, slips forward over and over again and wonders why he goes through so many clutches and flywheels. Sorry to UG, it seems that I'm not helping stay on track with the subject of writing sql.

I can do the most basic but not too much more because the query interface takes away the opportunity to practice. I get deeper into it if I need to call a function or calculate a field but even that involves the interface. Sub queries are what makes me write sql since you usually don't have a lot of other approaches you can use.

Easy way to learn SQL...Download SQL Server community license is free. Start trying to build stuff - maybe take a udemy course for $12 when on special and learn by doing. After a bit of head scratching and a bit of a learning curve I found it kind of intuitive as long as I think about it long enough. I then found coming back to Access after doing my head on this, I could use some of the new stuff in Access :).

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
That would be good advice if I had a need to learn it to a higher degree than I already can practice. But now that I'm retired and don't have a business in database software like some here do (I did at one time) I don't have the need to get better at it. I try to keep what I know out of the cobwebs plus learn a few new things by helping here, but when it comes to complex sql solutions I will Google my problem when I need it. Sometimes I'm amazed at the sql that people seem to pull out of their hat and I'm content to let them shine. I have other pursuits that occupy much of my time - except for this past week. Waiting on another dang delivery!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:24
There was a time when manuals were (generally) more fuel efficient. I very much doubt that is the case now.

That's probably true. I forgot that automatics typically have more gears now, and of course the technology has advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom