Corruption (1 Viewer)

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:54
My database all of a sudden got several corruptions today. It is a split database and the BE became corrupt a few times today.

Any ideas where to start looking for the issue?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:54
Hi. My first suspect would be to check whether there were any new updates/patches applied to the machine recently.

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 08:54
Kitty,

Virtually every professional that answers questions on this forum has complained about this for years. In my own opinion, Access has always had issues with corruption, and for unknown reasons most of the time. The answer seems to always be the same as well => import brand new objects into a new file that are of the same category as the corrupted ones.

I'm not really sure if there IS an answer to this issue because it's lasted for so long now. furthermore, how do you know it's corrupt? what happened?

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
How? Access says it's in an inconsistent state and my workstations are unable to open.
My concern is that it is all of a sudden.

As far as patches or updates. I keep up with windows updates. Did some a week ago or so...

neuroman9999

Local time
How? Access says it's in an inconsistent state and my workstations are unable to open.
My concern is that it is all of a sudden.
well isn't this interesting! Microsoft has posted something about this. hmmmm.....has Satya Nadella made some changes for the better? Wonderful! Perhaps some good technical knowledge coming from India is leading this company in the right direction?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ms+access+inconsistent+state+error

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...nt-state-7ec975da-f7a9-4414-a306-d3a7c422dc1d

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Is it possible that leasing got turned back on? I turned leasing off some time ago. I also split the database too.
Both seemed to work perfectly. So, could it have been turned back on via an update or patch?

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
How can you check to see if it's disabled or enable?

neuroman9999

Local time
I turned leasing off some time ago.
""leasing""? what is that, if I may ask?

and regarding updates and anything else that is done by corporations automatically, more than likely that is going to get worse in the future as they literally start to attempt to ""control"" users' activity and make, what they call, ""suggestions"" based on what their algorithms know about people, from years and years of putting data profiles together based on consumer behavior.

I would not put it past Microsoft to throw an update into someone's computer directly from an update service inside the windows OS without releasing information to the general public that they are doing it, simply based on what I just said regarding them thinking that they know everything about users that is possible. However, it is unlikely to happen by Microsoft because the leadership there is a lot better today than it was in the past, in this man's opinion. Not to mention that if they act sneaky in any way, they are usually called out by the American news agencies within days. And they don't want that.

by the way, did you read the post by @theDBguy ?? did you check on that as well??

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
I believe is something like file locking in a network environment.

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
The DBguy helped me some time ago and it solved my problem with corruption. At that time, I did not split my database but did and disabled leasing and no more corruption.

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Does anyone know how to check if leasing is enable or not?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:54
Does anyone know how to check if leasing is enable or not?
You can check the registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
This is interesting because for the past two years I've been disabling leasing and that seemed to address the bug. However I have noticed over the past few weeks that I'm getting multiple calls per day to bail the database out of corruption - all split databases, all in an "inconsistent state". It seems that it's not just a fluke...

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Hmmm, any ideas? I was able to recover it but it did it again two more times today.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, you asked about leasing. It is a technical issue in Server Message Block (SMB) protocol v2 and v3. I will try to explain.

Windows uses SMB protocol part of the "File & Printer Sharing" option. Introduced in SMB v2.1, "leasing" relates to keeping file buffers open longer by deferring a remote disk "writeback" operation. In SMB v1, when you updated a buffer, you had to write it back as quickly as possible. With SMB v2+, you can defer the writeback, which means you now have a "dirty" disk buffer hanging around longer. The cause for this change is that for the file system's directory operations, you get greater efficiency for wild-card operations like COPY and DELETE. The effect is that enabling leasing of Access disk buffers will INCREASE the probability of corruption.

The mechanism of Access corruption most often (though not exclusively) is that you start to update stuff, and MSACCESS.EXE (the main Access code) in the memory of your local machine does the work and starts to write it back... but for reasons unknown, fails halfway through the process. So what you have then is a file that has an incompletely updated set of disk blocks. Since Access uses pointers heavily, if that update involves pointers that SHOULD have changed - but didn't - you now have an inconsistent database. Depending on exactly what was being updated, you might have problems with lost data or bad indexes. The Compact & Repair will not always be able to recover lost data since that might well have been what was supposed to be written back.

By turning off the "leasing" option for SMB v2, you make disk writebacks occur more often rather than deferring them - which doesn't close, but DOES shrink, the window of opportunity for corruption to occur.

Hope this explanation helps.

neuroman9999

Local time
Since Access uses pointers heavily
doesn't virtually every programming language in the world use the concept of a ""pointer""?

well now Richard, that explanation of yours was probably the most competent piece of English I've ever read around here, or anywhere else for that matter. thank you for providing your veteran knowledge. much appreciated. I'm sure anyone who reads that will boost their knowledge level quite significantly.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Kitty, let's finish defining your environment. Your DB is split but do the users each have their own copy of the FE? Is it the FE or the BE that is getting corrupted? Is the BE Jet/ACE (sounds like it but it is best to confirm). Has your network had any updates? How about new versions of virus checkers? Has any data actually been lost? Can you narrow it down to any particular PC? Maybe there is a flaky network card and your LAN is experiencing blips. Access is verrrrrry susceptible to network interruptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom