Text Box on Report Truncates after 255 Characters (1 Viewer)

TheSearcher

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:48
I know there are articles all over the internet on this issue but nothing has yet worked for me.
Basically, I have a table that has some fields for which the data type is Long Text. The data in these fields are not truncated.
However, when any of these fields are used in a text box in a report the data gets truncated after 255 characters.
  • The text box's CanGrow property is set to Yes.
  • I removed "distinctrow" from the sql recordsource (as suggested by allenbrowne.com)
  • The format property is blank in the table and all controls (as suggested by allenbrowne.com)
I'm baffled. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TS

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:48
Hi. It would help if you could post a sample db with test data showing the problem. Is that possible?

TheSearcher

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:48
My Issue was Aggregation. I was using "Group By" in my recordsource query. I changed the "Group By" to "First" in query design and then changed the names of the text boxes on my report. This solved my problem. Thanks everyone for your willingness to help!!

The explanation below is from http://allenbrowne.com/ser-63.html

Aggregation When you depress the Σ button, Access adds a Total row to the query design grid. If you leave Group By under your memo field, it must aggregate on the the memo, so it truncates.

Workaround
Choose First instead of Group By under the memo field. The aggregation is still preformed on other fields from the table, but not on the memo, so Access can return the full memo.

The field name changes (e.g. FirstOfMyMemo), so change the name and Control Source of any text boxes on forms/reports.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:48
My Issue was Aggregation. I was using "Group By" in my recordsource query. I changed the "Group By" to "First" in query design and then changed the names of the text boxes on my report. This solved my problem. Thanks everyone for your willingness to help!!

The explanation below is from http://allenbrowne.com/ser-63.html

Aggregation When you depress the Σ button, Access adds a Total row to the query design grid. If you leave Group By under your memo field, it must aggregate on the the memo, so it truncates.

Workaround
Choose First instead of Group By under the memo field. The aggregation is still preformed on other fields from the table, but not on the memo, so Access can return the full memo.

The field name changes (e.g. FirstOfMyMemo), so change the name and Control Source of any text boxes on forms/reports.
Hi. That will definitely do it. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom