Access Closing/Crashing Issue (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 18:05
I posted about this awhile back, but am curious if anyone else has yet to experience this problem with a recent update to Access 2016? About a month ago, our whole 365 suite was updated including Access and since then I have had issues when opening Access.

It doesn't seem to happen very much with new/small databases, but have still had it close out on me. It happens in my main one I would say 70% of the time. It opens, tries to load the initial form, partially loads (in the sense some of the controls load and become visible), then Access just closes and restarts and tries to open again. I initially thought it was maybe an issue with corruption, but like I said, I have had the problem even with nearly blank versions. I have removed On Load and On Open code from my form Access opens to to rule that out as well as changed what form it opens to.

I think I have more or less narrowed it down to being a problem within Access itself and not something I have caused. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out how to stop it? It is super annoying when you launch it then it crashes out 1-4 times before successfully loading. I will note that once it successfully loads, it doesn't seem to happen. So something is going wrong during the initialization of it.

For reference:
Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Ranman256

Local time
I occasionally get a db that crashes like that. There's some control/event/call that access hates and dies.
After repair , it still crashes,
so finally , in the offending PC, I create a new blank db, then import EVERYTHING. tables/forms/qrys/schemas.
Then after you still need to tweak it with the REFERENCES.
99% this fixes the problem.
But not always. I had 1 pc that just did not like the db not matter what was done to it, yet it worked on all other PCs.
So there are pariah PCs that hate everyone.

tmyers

Local time
I occasionally get a db that crashes like that. There's some control/event/call that access hates and dies.
After repair , it still crashes,
so finally , in the offending PC, I create a new blank db, then import EVERYTHING. tables/forms/qrys/schemas.
Then after you still need to tweak it with the REFERENCES.
99% this fixes the problem.
But not always. I had 1 pc that just did not like the db not matter what was done to it, yet it worked on all other PCs.
So there are pariah PCs that hate everyone.
After removing some more erroneous code, doing a decompile and compact/repair, it seems to be doing better. It still wouldn't explain why it did it with an almost blank one though. The new one does not even have code in it yet.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:05
Have a look at the Event Viewer to see if that gives any clues the next time it happens.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:05
Damn! Gasman beat me to it.

Using Settings, call up Control Panel. From there, find Administrative Tools. From there to Event Viewer. If you have a task crash, note the time as shown in the lower right on the end of the task bar. The event viewer timestamps come from the same system clock that drives that time display. All events are time-tagged to the second, so it should be easy to find an Access-related app event.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Damn! Gasman beat me to it.

Using Settings, call up Control Panel. From there, find Administrative Tools. From there to Event Viewer. If you have a task crash, note the time as shown in the lower right on the end of the task bar. The event viewer timestamps come from the same system clock that drives that time display. All events are time-tagged to the second, so it should be easy to find an Access-related app event.
I just tend to type in eventvwr in the search box?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That works too, but I can never remember the name of the darned utility program. Quirky memory.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
That works too, but I can never remember the name of the darned utility program. Quirky memory.
Doc, just the word event should bring it up?

I even have it as a shortcut on the desktop as well as another for deleting all the events, to start afresh. :)

tmyers

Local time
This one hard crashed and didn't recover.
Capture.PNG

tmyers

Local time

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Try it in the command window. It should not do any harm?, but will replace files if it thinks any are corrupt.
If that does not fix it, chuck it at IT and ask for another PC :) Let them do the hard work. :D

tmyers

Local time
Try it in the command window. It should not do any harm?, but will replace files if it thinks any are corrupt.
If that does not fix it, chuck it at IT and ask for another PC :) Let them do the hard work. :D
I actually just got off the phone with our help desk. Apparently it is a problem within the more recent 365 update we received. The only apps reported to be having crash/closing issues are Outlook and Access ironically.

They are running a repair on the 365 suite which they said SHOULD fix the problem. If not, then they will have to work some magic in the registry.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Nice when you have an IT dept. :) I generally have had to work out the problem myself in the past. :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, we have seen that before. Your crash is actually quite familiar. Look at the faulting module name.

OLEAUT32 is the Object Linking and Embedding component for ACE (the DB engine). Code 0xc0000005 is a fatal system event (based on "c000") due to a memory access fault (based on "0005"). I'm going to say that nine times out of ten this is due to a faulty subroutine call or subroutine return that contained an explicit number between 0 and 8191 in a context where the caller expected an address. That is because the most common cause of this is something that tries to reference the contents of memory page 0 as a address, but because that page is reserved to Windows, you can't store anything in it. Can't TELL you how often I've seen that.

Since the fault occurred in OLEAUT32 rather than in something you wrote, it is almost impossible for you to have done anything wrong to cause this, but the ONE thing that COULD do it would be if you had something embedded via OLE methods, it got corrupted, and you were trying to touch it at the time of the crash.

As often as this one crops up, I'm going to guess that you don't actually have OLE stuff in your DB. On the other hand, if you DO have OLE references anywhere, it might be good if you would have an "event" table where you can write time-stamps and waypoint names in a table so as to find out which step actually does this. Essentially, leave a trail of bread crumbs. The problem is that if this is actually an ACE OLE problem, you might not be able to identify anything closer than the SQL statement or Domain Aggregate function that crashes it.

It may be of limited value to you, but here is where someone else got the Microsoft community involved and they acknowledged that this is a tricksie little bug that they are still trying to find.

There is some discussion in the article about how this bug seems to have been fixed in Win10 v1811. So if you haven't done so yet, run a good update cycle or two to bring your system up to date. I might also suggest that you show your IT people YOUR crash log and the article I posted above, wherein the last post of that article suggests that newer versions will fix the problem. If they are hesitant about update cycles, this is evidence that they need to allow one.

EDIT: A supplemental reference suggests it might be Excel-related.

If you really want to see how common this error is, do a web search for "OLEAUT32 crash" and prepare to be shocked. For what it is worth, you are not alone in seeing this. Not alone by a LONG shot.

tmyers

Local time
@The_Doc_Man I didn't think I had any OLE references.
I will have to check and see if I maybe enabled it to test something, but ended up not using it.

tmyers

Local time
Doesn't look like I enabled anything out of the ordinary:
Capture.PNG

Edit:
After reading one of the articles you posted, it may be the bottom one, the excel reference. I believe I enabled that around the time this started happening. I had created a table linked to Excel. I will get rid of that and see if it fixes it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@tmyers - it is entirely possible that you don't. Quick web searches for that kind crash show just short of a gazillion hits on it. (I rounded off a bit.) A lot of them deny having anything to do with anything OLE. But it doesn't have to be explicit OLE. It could also be implied. Like if you have something that imports or exports between Access and any other Office utility. Like a "TransferSpreadsheet" or even a "TransferToText" operation. It's insidious. So don't feel selectively put upon. This is a case where Microsoft was strictly equal opportunity - they tinkled on EVERYONE'S toes.

EDIT: Our posts crossed each other. Yep, your linked Excel table could be a contributor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom