Solved saving a record twice (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:24
I saw that you have requested for your account to be removed. I hope that you didn't take negative vibes from the fact that some folks tried to tell you things you might not have been ready to hear. That IS the nature of this forum, though. Everyone has ideas on how to do things better, but not everyone is ready to hear all of the ideas.

As far as the account goes, I think only Jon (the site owner) or a system administrator can remove an account. Otherwise, the moderators can simply banish you, but you would still be in our history. But we would usually prefer to leave you the option to come back. On a more practical reason, your post DID touch on a common misunderstanding of what Access does (and doesn't do) automatically. As such, it might be instructive to others having similar problems.

iankerry

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:24
I saw that you have requested for your account to be removed. I hope that you didn't take negative vibes from the fact that some folks tried to tell you things you might not have been ready to hear. That IS the nature of this forum, though. Everyone has ideas on how to do things better, but not everyone is ready to hear all of the ideas.

As far as the account goes, I think only Jon (the site owner) or a system administrator can remove an account. Otherwise, the moderators can simply banish you, but you would still be in our history. But we would usually prefer to leave you the option to come back. On a more practical reason, your post DID touch on a common misunderstanding of what Access does (and doesn't do) automatically. As such, it might be instructive to others having similar problems.
Hi Docman. Thanks for your message.

I don't really agree with your perception of what happened. I don't think it was a case of me not wanting to hear something, more to do with the way someone was talking to me, and I didn't feel I deserved it. But I understand Pat is an important member of this forum and helps many people.

I think it will just make me very nervous about posting again which is a shame but maybe I am too sensitive for the forum and that is my problem.

Bedtime now here in the UK.

Best wishes ian

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:24
Ian, also from me to you, best wishes. I sincerely hope that you can see that Pat was trying to help and perhaps is somewhat of a purist. She has also been around in this forum longer than I have and has experience, as we say in the USA, coming out the wazoo! She has forgotten more than I might ever have known about databases. Perhaps you need to find a thick-skinned coat to wear when posting so you won't feel so scratched up. But I can assure you that most of our members really DO want to help folks. I don't know, but perhaps we are a bit TOO eager in some of our lessons. But I also know it is the flow of ideas in this forum that helps you become stronger where you were weaker.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:24
Ian, I am sorry I offended you. I was trying to help you to understand how Access works and that what you had settled on as a solution was likely to be in fact, not the solution you thought it was. I'm sure that as long as people use the form as instructed, it works. But as Doc implied, I've been doing this a very long time and as a developer it is important to protect the user from himself when you can. Access in fact was protecting you from yourself by always saving your data and your solution didn't stop that if the undo was in your button code. You just haven't run into the problem yet and you might never see it unless you go looking. Data is critical. When you don't use Access as intended, you give up those protections.

I work as a consultant to I am constantly acquiring custody of projects created by others that need modifications so I am quite familiar with most of the mistakes that it is possible to make although sometimes I get blindsided by new ones. At least 90% of the apps i encounter which were created by non-programmers have serious data holes aside from poor data structures but probably 40% of the applications created by experts do too. Mostly because they attempt to do it themselves rather than understand how Access works and work with it instead of trying to impose your will. In fact programmers who have technical skills in other platforms make some of the most egregious mistakes because they think they know better than Access.

You've been a member for a long time. Please don't leave on my account. You can block me and I won't try to help you ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom