Windows Update (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 00:15
A question for those using MS Access, how will this update affect Access? Is Microsoft still trying to deprecate Access?

Last edited:

Ranman256

Local time
well, windows 10 does not like access files being used on a network by many users.
It corrupts the db.
Hey Microsoft, isn't that THE POINT of a database?

conception_native_0123

Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
Deprecate.
deprecate means it will no longer work with the current version of its top-level container. depreciate means something else I think. depreciating something is to lower the value of it or the "appreciation" FOR it. they are not the same. in this case, the "container" is the windows operating system. do you think? does that make sense? I sort of just made it up!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:15
I I have put my Windows update off for a week, I might put it off for another week!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
I don't mind a Windows version update per se - but I care about what ELSE breaks when something else gets locked down.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 21:15
Didn't Microsoft spend a long time promising that there would be nothing past Windows 10 ?

After I got over the mental adjustment to that statement, it made sense to me. Why keep implementing huge, life-altering, overwhelming sea changes and calling them new operating systems. Just keep making minor, gradual updates to one that seems to be working pretty fine.

(Although I will never let go of my appreciation of Windows 7, which I still have a machine of ... and love).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Didn't Microsoft spend a long time promising that there would be nothing past Windows 10 ?

That's what I thought. 10 was the version to end all versions.

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 13:15

After I got over the mental adjustment to that statement, it made sense to me. Why keep implementing huge, life-altering, overwhelming sea changes and calling them new operating systems. Just keep making minor, gradual updates to one that seems to be working pretty fine.

(Although I will never let go of my appreciation of Windows 7, which I still have a machine of ... and love).

Though I understand what you mean, but sometimes changes can't be built on previous versions. For example security and permissions can't be built on a Fat32 system. They had to upgrade it to NTFS to be able to add new file and folder security and it needed to be changed from the roots of OS.
Just like you can't make a train to speed up to more than 500 km/h with small upgrades. At some point you need to start from scratch and design something new that is capable of levitating.
I don't know what made them to think about a new version of windows, but maybe they are working on something that needs a newly designed OS from its core.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Though I understand what you mean, but sometimes changes can't be built on previous versions. For example security and permissions can't be built on a Fat32 system. They had to upgrade it to NTFS to be able to add new file and folder security and it needed to be changed from the roots of OS.
Just like you can't make a train to speed up to more than 500 km/h with small upgrades. At some point you need to start from scratch and design something new that is capable of levitating.
I don't know what made them to think about a new version of windows, but maybe they are working on something that needs a newly designed OS from its core.
Yes, I suppose that's true. I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject so I trust you are probably right on that point.

Sun_Force

Local time
Yes, I suppose that's true. I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject so I trust you are probably right on that point.
No my friend. Your posts here, show you're much more knowledgeable in every aspect than me. You can't even imagine how your posts have helped me opening closed doors. I'm a student and still trying to stand on my feet. What I wrote was just an assumption.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
No my friend. Your posts here, show you're much more knowledgeable in every aspect than me. You can't even imagine how your posts have helped me opening closed doors. I'm a student and still trying to stand on my feet. What I wrote was just an assumption.
Well, thank you for the kind words, and I'm very glad to hear that something I've said has helped. A lot of it is just ...
As Isaac Newton said:
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
As for why everyone thinks Microsoft is moving on from Windows 10 even though it was supposed to be “the last version of Windows”: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said at the Build 2021 developer conference in May that the company planned to “share one of the most significant updates to Windows of the past decade,” which he called “the next generation of Windows,” some time “soon” after the conference. So the speculation is supported by more than just a GIF and an event’s start time. (emphasis added)

When I started this thread, I forgot to include my perpetual rant "go Linux". Unfortunately, MS Access does not work under Linux.

Sun_Force

Local time
Unfortunately, MS Access does not work under Linux.
It's not only MS Access. But almost more than %90 of any software that can be installed or run. Linux is a server side OS but you know how people are.
"Be smart and go for Linux."
I've always have been eager to ask a Linux user why he/she is attracted to an OS that although is secure, but can not do anything a PC is capable of.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I've always have been eager to ask a Linux user why he/she is attracted to an OS that although is secure, but can not do anything a PC is capable of.
Sorry, but you are wrong. I would suggest, assuming you have a spare computer, install Linux and experiment with it. That way you will know. What I will acknowledge is that when it comes to games, MS Windows has Linux beat. If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Sorry, but you are wrong. I would suggest, assuming you have a spare computer, install Linux and experiment with it. That way you will know. What I will acknowledge is that when it comes to games, MS Windows has Linux beat. If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer.
I've noticed some crypto mining applications seem to mostly be made for Linux

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Check out Ubuntu Studio, if you like fiddling with music/audio. It's an awesome alternative to windows.

1623375038902.png

1623375011441.png

Sun_Force

Local time
If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer.
Just the privileges of a Linux over Windows on a PC (not a server and except security)
thanks.

PS: unfortunately unable to get a new PC just for testing. (due to university expenses) :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom