Solved Threads (1 Viewer)

mercystone

Local time
Today, 10:58
Hello everyone. I am humbly and kindly requesting for somebody to assist me rank the subjects in the description in the attached database. The query or function should rank subjects automatically as the mark is being entered for students. E.g student A ENGLISH 60, STUDENT B ENGLISH 70, Student C ENGLISH 100. SO THE RANK SHOULD BE
STUDENT DESCRIPTION MARK
1. STUDENT C ENGLISH 100
2. STUDENT B ENGLISH 70
3. STUDENT A ENGLISH 60
AND TO DO FOR ALL SUBJECTS AS THEY ARE ENTERED.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• STUDENTS (2).zip
    51 KB · Views: 391

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:58
You sort by Subject and then Mark.

mercystone

Local time
You sort by Subject and then Mark.
Thanks. But it would be great if there was a query or function which should sort it automatically.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:58
i don't know which form, i used Student Examination detail form.
see the recordsource of the subform.

Attachments

• STUDENTS (2).zip
    71.2 KB · Views: 398

mercystone

Local time
i don't know which form, i used Student Examination detail form.
see the recordsource of the subform.
Thanks. Is there a way to sort subjectID automatically. It is working but I have to sort subjectID manually. I would like the user of database not to sort manually. I wish there was something like vba code, function or query. I appreciate what you are doing. Kudos

mercystone

Local time
Yes, it would be great if the software wrote itself, sadly we still have to do it.
arnelgp is the next best thing though.
@arnelgp is genius. He has helped so many people in matters computer. He is blessed with knowledge. God will bless him abundantly.

mercystone

Local time
Hello everyone. Kindly look at this updated database. Kindly anybody to assist me with the query to give out rank as indicated in the Student Examination Details(derived from sub form). As you enter marks the query or function to update the position as per subjects. Check the database. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• STUDENTS (2)-1.zip
    51.9 KB · Views: 385

arnelgp

Local time
is this correct?

Attachments

• STUDENTS (2)-1.zip
    136.8 KB · Views: 405

mercystone

Local time
@arnelgp hello once again. I would like to rank Subjects out of Students taking in a class in a certain year in a certain term in a certain class.
E.g
Year- 2022
Term- Term 1
Class- form1
Stream- North
Kindly assist me please

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You have to start learning and trying for yourself.
With all the sorting arnelgp has done for you, you should be able to work it out.
It has been 5 months since your original request, surely you have learnt something since then? :(

mercystone

Local time
You have to start learning and trying for yourself.
With all the sorting arnelgp has done for you, you should be able to work it out.
It has been 5 months since your original request, surely you have learnt something since then? :(
No wonder you are enthusiastic amateur. You ought to learn to respect people. But then again I didn't address you.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:58
Ranking is another good reason to use SQL Server as the backend.
It has native functions RANK() and ROW_NUMBER() that are vastly more efficient than anything that can be done in Access.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
No wonder you are enthusiastic amateur. You ought to learn to respect people. But then again I didn't address you.
I do respect people. I have a lot of respect for people here and on other forums, who give their time freely to help people.
I have a lot of respect for people who are out of their depth, but do try and then show what they have tried.
I too try and help people, but have little or no respect for people who just make no effort to try for themselves. :devilish:

I tend to try and guide people to their solution, rather than write up code to do the job for them, even if I can. I firmly believe if you just hand out code to do that, the person does not learn, or think they need to learn, there is someone who will do it for them.. You are a case in point that proves that, sadly. :(

How do you think I started with Access? I joined here and received help, and now I will try and help people where I can. To give something back.
I will however not help people who are to lazy to try and expect someone like arnelgp, who gets taken advantage of time and time again, but that is up to him.
I will not bother you anymore, I will put you on my ignore list and suggest you do the same for me.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:58
@Gasman, hear hear. Spot on. Give someone a fish (query) and it feeds them one meal. Get them to learn to fish (learn to write queries) if they are willing and they can feed themselves forever.

arnelgp

Local time
can you upload a sample db with Term, Class, Year, etc.
i recently do some "cleaning" on my pc so i have no sample here.

mercystone

Local time
Kindly help me rank Subjects according to:-
YEARS
TERM
GRADEDESC
STREAM
EXAMINATION TYPE

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• students.zip