ldb or laccdb files not closing (1 Viewer)

sumdumgai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:15
Recently, these files (ldb and laccdb) are not closing automatically when the user closes the database. These files are 0 bytes in length so there is no information in them about which computer has the database open. Also, there is no problem in deleting these files. I've eliminated corruption by creating a new database and closing it. The lock file for the new database does not get removed by Access. This occurs on a server with 2007 and 2016 versions. It does not occur on my PC.

Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on and how to fix?

Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Talk with your network support people to determine if someone changed the permissions to the folder holding the BE. The users need CRUD permissions to the folder. The Create and Delete are so that the first user can cause the lock file to be created and the last user to close the BE can cause the lock file to be deleted.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 06:15
Look at similar threads at the bottom of this thread?

sumdumgai

Registered User.
Local time
Talk with your network support people to determine if someone changed the permissions to the folder holding the BE. The users need CRUD permissions to the folder. The Create and Delete are so that the first user can cause the lock file to be created and the last user to close the BE can cause the lock file to be deleted.
Thanks, I've contacted the network people and they are searching to see if any changes were made to environment. But, as I stated, these ldb files are 0 bytes and are easily deleted. Also, I created a new database in a new folder and the problem still occurs.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:15
While it is possible that a recent MS patch (to Windows, not to Access) could have this effect, the symptoms are almost exactly like a permissions problem.

To be more specific, navigate to the shared folder, find the BE file, RIGHT-click it to find Properties >> Security, then in the complex dialog box, look for EFFECTIVE PERMISSIONS. You SHOULD see MODIFY (the broad-brush name for the permissions you need.) IF you catch a copy of the lock file, do the same for it. Again, you should see MODIFY.

The symptom of "doesn't delete automatically" taken together with "can be easily deleted" SOUNDS like the folder doesn't grant correct permissions even though the file does.

sumdumgai

Registered User.
Local time
While it is possible that a recent MS patch (to Windows, not to Access) could have this effect, the symptoms are almost exactly like a permissions problem.

To be more specific, navigate to the shared folder, find the BE file, RIGHT-click it to find Properties >> Security, then in the complex dialog box, look for EFFECTIVE PERMISSIONS. You SHOULD see MODIFY (the broad-brush name for the permissions you need.) IF you catch a copy of the lock file, do the same for it. Again, you should see MODIFY.

The symptom of "doesn't delete automatically" taken together with "can be easily deleted" SOUNDS like the folder doesn't grant correct permissions even though the file does.
I don't see EFFECTIVE PERMISSIONS within Security. I have Permissions for System, Allow, Deny. Everything under Allow is checked. Within Advanced, under Permission entries, everything under Access is Full Control. This is for the test folder and test database.ldb that I created. I'm pretty sure everything on production folders is same.

Thanks.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Concur with GPGeorge... Sorry I forgot that "effective permissions" is under "Properties >> Security >> Advanced." But if you have Full Control, that is as far as it gets. If you still have the problem, follow George's link 'cause it ain't due to short permissions.

Karen_Nicholson

Local time
Does anyone know when Microsft is going to give us a fix besides rolling back the office install? We are running Pro Plus 2019 Build 10382.20010 Click to Run and the patches do not work. I have been working on this for two days. Even running my databases as .accde RO to no avail. I have tried the update as instructed.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
From what I gather, this is a battle between the Access team and the security team. The result will depend on who has more juice and that leaves Access holding the bag. Eventually unfixed bugs become "features" because fixing them will now break things so they never get fixed.

I didn't read the solutions closely but I thought you needed to back out an update rather than apply a fix.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Pat, in Win7, Win8, and Win10 (and probably Win11, but I don't have one to confirm it), there is a time-limit on backing out an update. The patch file leaves behind a "back out of update" file, but it gets erased automagically after some number of days. After which there is no going back.

Therefore, you have to hope that this nasty little bug breaks something else so that there is impetus for the bug to get fixed.

Leonidas

Local time
Today, 06:15

This worked for me. I moved the database one subfolder up and the problem went away.

jfreitas88

Local time
I was having this very issue and could not figure out what was going on. So, I decided to add a break point in the Do While loop and when the process was complete and the program closed, the laccdb file was no longer there. So, to solve it, I added a minor 3 second delay in the while loop and that solved for me. When the program ended, the laccdb file was gone as well, as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom