Brain Teasers (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 06:33
A ship anchored in a port has a ladder (beginning and ending with a tave), where the bottom tave touches water. The distance between taves is 20 cm and length of the ladder is 180 cm. Tide is raising water at 15 cm each hour. When will the water be on the third tave from the top?

When it loads.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
A ship anchored in a port has a ladder (beginning and ending with a tave), where the bottom tave touches water. The distance between taves is 20 cm and length of the ladder is 180 cm. Tide is raising water at 15 cm each hour. When will the water be on the third tave from the top?

Well unless the ship is sinking or a really big wave comes in, I would think never.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:33
Well played you three, Well played.

Two girls are born to the same mother, on the same day, at the same time, in the same year and yet they're not twins. How can this be?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Well played you three, Well played.

Two girls are born to the same mother, on the same day, at the same time, in the same year and yet they're not twins. How can this be?
Two of triplets, or quads, etc.

chergh

blah
Local time
Today, 14:33

They were more than two of them born so they are triplets or greater.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
It looks like i'm going to have to look deeper through emails for harder ones....

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Four members of a band are walking to a night concert. They decide to take a shortcut, but must cross a bridge. Luckily they have one flashlight. Because of the varying size of their instruments, it takes each member a different amount of time to cross the bridge - it takes the first person one minute, the second person two minutes, the third person five minutes and the fourth person ten minutes. They must cross the bridge in pairs, traveling at the slower speed so if the one minute person went with the ten minute person, it would take a total of ten minutes. Since there is only one flashlight, one person must come back across the bridge, then another pair can cross. They only have 17 minutes to cross the bridge and still get to the concert on time. What order should they cross to get everyone across and get to the concert?

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Paul’s height is six feet, he’s an assistant at a butcher’s shop, and wears size 9 shoes. What does he weigh?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Paul’s height is six feet, he’s an assistant at a butcher’s shop, and wears size 9 shoes. What does he weigh?

Geez, you got this all wrong. I'm 6'1", wear size 10.5 shoes and I'm an IT guy, not a butcher. :p

But if I was a butcher, I'd weigh

meat

but as an IT guy it's more like 175.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Apparently I type slowly too. :eek:

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
You guys are great...
Anyone figure out the band members?

100 Politicians are attending a political convention. You know that the politicians are either corrupt or honest, nothing in between.
There is at least one honest politician.
If you randomly choose 2 politicians at least one of them will be corrupt.
How many politicians are corrupt and how many are honest?

chergh

blah
Local time
Four members of a band are walking to a night concert. They decide to take a shortcut, but must cross a bridge. Luckily they have one flashlight. Because of the varying size of their instruments, it takes each member a different amount of time to cross the bridge - it takes the first person one minute, the second person two minutes, the third person five minutes and the fourth person ten minutes. They must cross the bridge in pairs, traveling at the slower speed so if the one minute person went with the ten minute person, it would take a total of ten minutes. Since there is only one flashlight, one person must come back across the bridge, then another pair can cross. They only have 17 minutes to cross the bridge and still get to the concert on time. What order should they cross to get everyone across and get to the concert?

p1 = 1 min
p2 = 2 min
p3 = 5 min
p4 = 10 min

p1 & p2 cross = 2 mins across and 1 min back for p1 = 3 mins
p3 & p4 cross = 10 mins and 2 mins back for p2 = 12 mins
p1 & p2 cross = 2 mins

Total time 17 mins

chergh

blah
Local time
100 Politicians are attending a political convention. You know that the politicians are either corrupt or honest, nothing in between.
There is at least one honest politician.
If you randomly choose 2 politicians at least one of them will be corrupt.
How many politicians are corrupt and how many are honest?

99 corrupt, 1 honest.

If you choose 2 and 1 must be corrupt then there is a max of 1 honest politician

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
DAMN!!! lol,
ok...

A mother is 21 years older than her son.
In 6 years time the son will be 5 times younger than the mother.
Where is the father?

chergh

blah
Local time
DAMN!!! lol,
ok...

A mother is 21 years older than her son.
In 6 years time the son will be 5 times younger than the mother.
Where is the father?

21 + 6 = 27

27 / 5 = 5.4

5.4 - 6 = -0.6

So the father is probably in the mother.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
21 + 6 = 27

27 / 5 = 5.4

5.4 - 6 = -0.6

So the father is probably in the mother.

LOL, ya, I love that one.. Ok well i'm fresh out for the time being. Have a good weekend everyone! (I'm leaving at lunch!! YAY! Gonna go to Niagara falls try and win me some money at the BlackJack tables!)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Another puzzle:

You are playing a game with an other person. There is a perfectly circular table, and an
unlimited supply of 10p pieces. You take it in turns to place a coin on the table, taking care that no coin overlaps another (touching is fine), and no coin can stick out over the edge of the table. The first person to break either of these rules loses. What strategy must you adopt in order to be guaranteed to win every time?

You must go first and place your coin in the center of the table? I'm thinking in this sense, no matter the size of the table, you'll have the advantage mathematically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom