Earthquake (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:39
We had an earthquake at 10:19. It was 4.8 and centered in NJ. I'm about 100 miles from the epicenter. It was the biggest shake I've ever felt. I thought my desk was collapsing. All the monitors shook. I was in the middle of a bridge game and my mouse fell off the tray and clicked. Somehow whenever stupid stuff like that happens, it ends up as a zero for us. This time, we managed 14.3% for not being in game. Kept us from being first overall. Usually I have only myself to blame for the dumb things that happen on my side of the table but this time, I get to blame an earthquake:)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:39
My mom and stepfather built a geodesic dome house in Yucca Valley, California, in the 1980s. We happened to be there on 6/28/92 when a 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck Landers, a neighbouring town. We all survived, and it was quite a ride. Their geodesic dome home survived also. But in some places, the road fell six feet, and in other places, the road was torn from left to right, maybe 20 feet wide. It was close to the famous San Andreas Fault, where the so-called 'big one' will hit some day.

Glad everyone is safe!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
At least it was short so it wasn't as terrifying as the tornado I saw way to close for comfort when I was living in Nashville.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:39
I find it interesting that the NJ quake was accompanied (earlier in time sequence) by the Huajien temblor and one in the Mariannas Islands. In fact over half a dozen quakes occurred within less than 24 yours before the NJ quake. It strongly corroborates (though does not prove) that the core of the earth permits passage of shock waves. It will be interesting to see how many more quakes follow this incident.

Glad you weren't hurt, Pat. And those accidental mouse clicks in-game can be a real pain in the toches.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:39
We had an earthquake at 10:19. It was 4.8 and centered in NJ. I'm about 100 miles from the epicenter. It was the biggest shake I've ever felt. I thought my desk was collapsing. All the monitors shook. I was in the middle of a bridge game and my mouse fell off the tray and clicked. Somehow whenever stupid stuff like that happens, it ends up as a zero for us. This time, we managed 14.3% for not being in game. Kept us from being first overall. Usually I have only myself to blame for the dumb things that happen on my side of the table but this time, I get to blame an earthquake:)
Wow, I'm glad you are OK! Here in Arizona we felt nothing and the "eclipse" was next-to-nothing. I was hoping for some excitement but got none.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I bounced up and down a little in my chair when it hit us. The lower floors in the building didn't feel it as much.

Later that evening I was playing Virtual golf with my buddy in Ct. At one point his wife in the background yelled out "OMG, Did you feel that aftershock? They're about an hour south of me. About 10 sec's later I felt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom