Cannot Open Attachments In Pdf Created From Access (1 Viewer)

frmla77

Local time
Today, 17:17
Using "DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "rptXXXXXXX", acFormatPDF, myFileName, -1" to generate a pdf version of a report. The report can consist of attachments of pdf, excel, word, etc. When the pdf is generated I am not able to open the attachments that are in the pdf.

Was curious if this is a known problem that I am not able to locate, if it is possible to open an attachment in a pdf file created by MS Access or other options. Would like to continue to use attachments, but if not feasible, can use hyperlinks.

Thanks

Michael

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:17
This is really a poor and ambiguous formulation. Say what you do and what happens in response to that, never use the totally informationless "I cannot", because that contains no useful information for you helpers.

What office version do you have what pdf reader do you have what windows do you have?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:17

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:17
can you in fact have a pdf that contains attachments?

I don't know?

frmla77

Local time
Sorry spikepl, I thought I did not only just say that I can't do something and had some information in my original post. But here is some specifics.

MS Access ver 2013
Windows ver Win 7
Adobe Reader ver XI

gemma - I have attached a portion of my pdf with the attachments indicated, just when you click on them nothing happens, does not kick off the file.

accessblaster and sneuberg - I will look at the links you posted. Maybe rtf will work, will have to see if any formatting issues, etc.

Again, within the Ms Access reports, the attachments are executable, however transition to pdf they are no longer executable. I think it is because the files are not transferred into the pdf. Not real sure. May not be an MS Access issue, just an Adobe Reader limitation.

So, I thought I would see if anyone has encountered this before or knows about it.

Thanks,

Michael

Attachments

• pdfWAttachments.png
    pdfWAttachments.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 98

frmla77

Local time
Ok, looked into the document from sneuberg, the files do not seem to be embedded into the pdf. Maybe when MS Access converts to pdf, it is not embedding the files into the pdf, just images.

Attached is an attachment that shows the pdf with the manage attachments window open and nothing there. Also shows the section with the attachments or attachment images.

Figured I'd give some more info on what I looked at, will look into the rtf portion.

Thanks again

Attachments

• pdfWAttachmentsNotEmbedded.png
    pdfWAttachmentsNotEmbedded.png
    42 KB · Views: 97

frmla77

Local time
Tried the rtf format. I lost my conditional formatting on the reports, plus the attachments are not displayed on the report. Which part of it makes since, I think, since it should really just be a text document, no sure.

Attached is an image of rtf with the field and not attachments.

So, I guess the question is, can MS Access embed attachments into a pdf document. Or is the only thing that can be done is provide executable url's to a file.

Thanks

Attachments

• rtfWNoAttachments.png
    rtfWNoAttachments.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 92

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:17
Tried the rtf format. I lost my conditional formatting on the reports, plus the attachments are not displayed on the report. Which part of it makes since, I think, since it should really just be a text document, no sure.

Attached is an image of rtf with the field and not attachments.

So, I guess the question is, can MS Access embed attachments into a pdf document. Or is the only thing that can be done is provide executable url's to a file.

Thanks
I wasn't suggesting you use rtf, rather use the correct output method format. Reports are generally not interactive, but you may be able to embed a hyperlink within a PDF.

frmla77

Local time
My bad, accessblaster. Made an assumption there.

I have seen about embedding a url, just need to figure out the best way to capture the url of the file, to prevent typing issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom