multi calcs for report: best to use query or in code of report? (1 Viewer)

chard2

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:00
I have a checktracking database in which I need to have it generate a MIS/Inventory report. A screen print of the report is attached of how I want it to look like. There are numerous fields on the report that are going to require calculations from my table, ie: received numbers, completed, ending numbers, and aging, MTD/YTD as well. (your normal MIS/Inventory report I guess).

Question: What will be the easiest way to create this, do all of my calculations via a query, and then link the query to my report? (won't this make the query slow since I will have over 10,000 records in my one main table?)

OR

Do I do all of my calculation via code in the module of the report I am creating?

Any suggestions on how to create my MIS report in the most efficient manner would be greatly appreciated. By the way, does anyone know of, seen, or have a sample database that needs to create calculations like mine?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• rptCheckMIS.doc
    85 KB · Views: 177

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:00
First of all, I have no idea what MIS is an acronym for. Assuming that it is an acronym.

I have no idea of what type or form your calculations will take, however if you are concerned about whether to run them behind the report or from the query, then I would suggest that you develop your code in a module. You will then be able to call the functions you create in the module from the query or the report. So if at a future date you decide to change from one to the other it would simplify the process.

chard2

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:00
Multi calcs for report: best to use query or in code of reports?

Sorry for the confusion, that was my first post. Let me explain better my situation:

I have a database to track Checks received for borrowers with student loans:

table consisting of: received date
check type
status
check cut date
#customers per check
#loans

My report has to show many calculations, and I know how I want my report to look like. By the way, my table will have a large number of records, possibly up to 10,000+ records.

I need to know the most efficient/fastest way to populate my report with the calculations:

1) Do I calculate my items via a query
2) or in code of my report
3) or in a separate module, and in the code of my report call the calculations from the other module.
4) Since most of my calculations will be based on 3 or more columns from my table, is it best to use IF/Then statements in my calculations? (not really sure I know how to code for all the different calculations, guess I'll find out.)

I have attached an example of my table, and how my report is to look, along with the calculations needed. I've attached as an excel file that I zipped, I hope you can open it.

Thanks in advance for any help you see fit to provide.

Attachments

• Table_Report.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 140

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:00
I am still not sure about the purpose of your question.
it is difficult to offer any help at the moment because I get the impression you are not really sure of what you want yourself .

I would suggest that you attempt to develop your formulas, And if you become stuck, you can submit a question to this forum where I'm sure you will get some help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom