Conditional Formatting in VBA (1 Viewer)

LewisWA02

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:56
I have a form where a user inputs a value. The conditional formatting evaluates that value and sets the back color of the text box to the corresponding color. This works ok so long as the number entered is less than 100. Once it's over 100 it seems to evaluate only the first two digits of the number.

"valkpi" is the value the user enters
"txtinvert" is a selection that the user selects when establishing the criteria to judge the number against. It reverses the upper and lower bound of the value.
"txtlow" & "txthigh" are the lower and upper bounds respectively

I just don't understand what I have to change in order to get the system to evaluate the input properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've also included a few pictures to show what I mean.

Code:
valkpi = Me.txtResult

If Me.txtinvert = 0 Then

If valkpi < Me.txtLow Then
                 Me.txtResult.BackColor = vbRed

ElseIf valkpi >= Me.txtLow And valkpi < Me.txtHigh Then
                 Me.txtResult.BackColor = vbYellow

ElseIf valkpi >= Me.txtHigh Then
                 Me.txtResult.BackColor = vbGreen

End If

ElseIf Me.txtinvert = -1 Then

If valkpi > Me.txtLow Then

ElseIf valkpi > Me.txtLow And Me.txtResult < Me.txtHigh Then

ElseIf valkpi <= Me.txtHigh Then

End If

End If

Attachments

• working.JPG
    working.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 57
  • not working.JPG
    not working.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 57

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
This code is a fragment. Can you show all the code?
Mark

LewisWA02

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
Private Sub txtResult_AfterUpdate()

valkpi = Me.txtResult

If Me.txtinvert = 0 Then
   ElseIf valkpi >= Me.txtHigh Then
   End If
    If valkpi > Me.txtLow Then
        ElseIf valkpi >= Me.txtLow And Me.txtResult < Me.txtHigh Then
        ElseIf valkpi <= Me.txtHigh Then
     End If
End If

End Sub

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
This looks wrong to me....
Code:
    If [COLOR="Blue"]valkpi > Me.txtLow[/COLOR] Then
To me if you are going to invert the comparison here, don't you need to test for the selection being greater than txtHigh? This expression, greater than txtLow, will, of course, very commonly be true. Expect a lot of vbRed with this code, right?
Is that the problem?
Mark

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 02:56
Agree with mark.
Also what would happen if<=txtlow when invert=-1

Orthodox Dave

Home Developer
Local time
I agree with Mark and Colin, but to address your original question (numbers over 100), I think your "numbers" are being evaluated as text strings. For example, Access will evaluate "1000000" as less than "2".

Since you haven't declared valkpi as a number, Access has made it a Variant and in this case, because it is getting its value from a text field (Me.txtLow) it is assuming it is text.

In your sub there are no variable declarations at all, which means you are not using Option Explicit to force you to declare variables. See this thread:
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=294452&highlight=option+explicit

Not declaring variables will get you into lots of trouble.

So the first part of your code should be:-
Code:
Private Sub txtResult_AfterUpdate()

Dim valkpi as integer

valkpi = val(Me.txtResult)

If Me.txtinvert = 0 Then

Your code also has some redundancy in the If statements, as in:
Code:
You could simplify the last line to:
Code:
   ElseIf valkpi < Me.txtHigh Then
(because if valkpi is not < Me.txtLow, then of course valkpi is >= Me.txtLow)

Your code also contains ElseIf statements but no Else statements. That's fine if you are happy the background colour can stay as it is if the conditions are not met, but I suspect you are trying to cover all possible conditions. In this case, the last statement before the End If statement should be Else, not ElseIf.

Hope some of that helps.

LewisWA02

Registered User.
Local time
First, let me thank Orthodox Dave for pointing me to the obvious. I use the variable valkpi in a few different instances of code so I had actually declared it as a global variable set to string....so in effect I created my own problem. Changing it lets the code now evaluate all instances as numbers and all is right with the world. Thanks for helping me see the forest for the trees. I changed it now everything is working properly.

As for the other questions, let me try to explain. The The invert selection reverses the values of the lower bound and the upper bound in order to account for situations where you would consider a lower number to be good versus a higher number. Take for example the number of times employees are injured over the course of a quarter. You want that number to be smaller than your lower bound. Therefore it has to be evaluated in reverse of the situation. Rather than use a different form for each possible situation, I just had VBA switch the values through code.

With regards to :
Code:
valkpi >= Me.txtLow And valkpi < Me.txtHigh
This is checking to see if the variable is between the two bounds. Dave, your statement "valkpi >= Me.txtLow And valkpi < Me.txtHigh" is correct, to a degree. If you are just wanting to see if it is higher than a value or lower than a value then that works fine. However, wanting to see that it is between the values requires the code to evaluate it as such.

Again, thank you for all the replies. You guys really made me think on this one.

LewisWA02

Registered User.
Local time
Ridders,

To answer your question: "what would happen if<=txtlow when invert=-1", it would highlight the text box green as in its good because you did less than what could be a problem, versus the other scenario where it would be red to indicate you didn't do enough of what ever the KPI is.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ridders,

To answer your question: "what would happen if<=txtlow when invert=-1", it would highlight the text box green as in its good because you did less than what could be a problem, versus the other scenario where it would be red to indicate you didn't do enough of what ever the KPI is.

No it wouldn't ... unless you have set the default colour as green.
As you don't have an Else statement to cover 'all other values', it wouldn't be covered by the CF at all

Have you done full tests on all possible outcomes with this?

LewisWA02

Registered User.
Local time
I don't know what to tell you then because it's doing just what I said it would. It was simply the declaration I had that was wrong. Thanks for your posts.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Glad you got it working. My comments were based on the original code before you had made any changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom