Having serious trouble splitting memo field (1 Viewer)

BDavidson

Local time
Today, 04:03
I have an old paradox database that i'm bringing into access. One of the fields is a "note" that for some reason contains all notations rather than having it split by day. Examples below.

Current Data

Project Number | Note
172 | 4/19/94 BJD: This is an example note.9/03/2008 BJD:This is a second example note 12/22/2009 BJD:This is the third example note.

Hopeful end result:

Project Number | Note | Date | UserID | Note |
172 | 4/19/94 | BJD | This is an example note. |
172 | 9/03/2008 | BJD | This is a second example note |
172 | 12/22/2009 | BJD | This is the third example note. |

The note field doesn't end with any specific character, sometimes it has a space, sometimes a period, sometimes nothing separating the end from the next date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:03
If the data was stored in a single field in Paradox, perhaps there is some hidden character that was used as a delimiter. Copy and paste the code into Excel. then try to transform it into a table using various options. You may find that there is a tab or CR separator. If not, you have a seriously ugly task ahead of you trying to split the string into pieces.

Another way to look at the data is with a Hex editor. Very few people have these installed these days. Programmers used to use them all the time. I still have SPFPC installed. It is a simulator of the text editor we used on the IBM mainframes and it allows you to view a file in hexadecimal. The space character is "20". You will need an ASCII table to decode the rest. Usually the editor shows 1 line of plain text then below it are two lines showing the hex characters so the first line would look blank (although it could be any character without a print value), the second line would contain a 2 and the third a 0.

BDavidson

Local time
Today, 04:03
Unfortunately the data was stored in a memo field that didn't have any sort of required delineation beyond the insertion of a date/username.

Thanks, I'll check out the hex editor idea, though i really don't see how that would help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom