Finding the amount of Fridays & Saturdays in a given date range (1 Viewer)

thelad

Local time
Today, 08:29
Hi All,

Hope this is in the right place as I'm a new poster :)

I'm in the process of making a database for use with hotel reservations and billing.. I've made a form to put new reservations into the table. Here are the relevant fields:

Check-in date
Check-out date
Weekday nights
Weekend (Fri and Sat) nights

The weekend rate for the hotel in question is slightly higher you see. So is there some kind of expression that I can put in the two 'night' fields to calculate the relevant amounts of either Sun-Thurs nights and Fri-Sat nights?

Tom

thelad

Local time
I'm not that handy with VB as others.. Where in that MVPS link would I insert my own fields (check in date and check out date) to make the code work?

Tom

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:29
So you need to know how many days during the stay are weekdays and how many are Fridays and Saturdays right? Or did I not understand your requirement?

thelad

Local time
Yep, thats it.

There is a weekday rate for Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs nights and a weekend rate for Fri, Sat nights.

Tom

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
So you will need two Public Functions right? HowManyWEdays() and HowManyWeekDays() Can you take a stab at either of these functions based on the link I supplied. The Functions will go in a Standard Module named basFunctions.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Now that I think about it, just one Function is needed since you can determine how many total days yourself and subtract right? Maybe just the WEdays function.

thelad

Local time
I gave it a bash and copied and pasted the codes from the link into the code section of the form but did nothing.. Shouldn't I be putting something in in relation to the fields that I have?

Tom

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:29
Here is another way. Go t0 post 10 for Raskew's solution

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=168783

The attached DB has Raskew's code in a module and a query using his function.

Note if the day to be counted is the starting date and/or the finishing date then the two days are counted. I put a switch() in the query to exclude those days.

Attachments

• Instances of a days Between Two dates.mdb
    128 KB · Views: 186

thelad

Local time
Hmm.. Unfortunately I seem a little out of my depth. Is there a way to do this throug the Expression Builder or Control Source?

Tom

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
The attached DB is ready to go. The code is in the module and the function name is CountDays which has been used in the query. The number used such as the 6 is for the day of the week with Sunday being a 1

You simply replace the field names S and F with your field names that contain your starting and finishing dates.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
PS.

If you used the attached DB the combinations in the field using Switch need to be checked. I think they are OK for only counting the days between the dates but I might have messed up as I only did it to play around.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I gave it a bash and copied and pasted the codes from the link into the code section of the form but did nothing.. Shouldn't I be putting something in in relation to the fields that I have?

Tom
As I said in Post #7, the code should go in a Standard Module named basFunction; not in the code (class) module of your form.

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:29
Hi -

Here's another one that will allow user to specify specific weekdays to be
billed at the weekend rate. Copy to a standard module and call as shown
in the example.

Code:
Public Function BillingSched(s As Date, _
                             e As Date, _
                             weday As String) As String
'Purpose:  Display total billing days, weekday billing
'          days and weekend billing days based on start(s)
'          day and end(e) day, and days to be billed as
'          weekend days, as specified by user.
'Re:       http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=825849#post825849
'          http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=168783
'Coded by: raskew
'Input:    ? BillingSched(#3/28/2009#, #4/15/2009#, "67") NOTE: Friday(6) & Saturday(7)
'                                                         to be billed as weekend days
'Output:   "18 days billed: 13 week days + 5 weekend days"

Dim n       As Integer
Dim x       As Integer
Dim wdHold  As Integer
Dim intTot  As Integer
Dim strDays As String
Dim strHold As String

strDays = "1234567123456"
   intTot = DateDiff("d", s, e) 'total days billed
   wdHold = (intTot \ 7) * (7 - Len(weday)) 'number of weekday billing days in full weeks
   strHold = Mid(strDays, InStr(strDays, WeekDay(s)), intTot Mod 7) 'weekdays beyond full weeks
   x = Len(strHold)
   For n = 1 To Len(weday) 'how many week billing days beyond full weeks?
     x = x + (InStr(strHold, Mid(weday, n, 1)) = 0) 'boolean stmt: True = -1, False = 0
   Next n
   wdHold = wdHold + x 'total weekday billing days

BillingSched = intTot & " days billed: " & wdHold & " week days + " & (intTot - wdHold) & " weekend days"

End Function

HTH - Bob

Added:

Correction required. See Post #17. Sorry 'bout that!

Last edited:

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Bob,
You just have too much fun with this stuff. :D

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:29
Allan -

You're probably right. This was a good'un. But now, after running some more exercises with this case, discover that this needs to be changed:

x = x + (InStr(strHold, Mid(weday, n, 1)) = 0) 'boolean stmt: True = -1, False = 0

... to

x = x + (InStr(strHold, Mid(weday, n, 1)) > 0) 'boolean stmt: True = -1, False = 0

I need to learn to run more tests with something like this, particularly when using boolean statements.

Best wishes - Bob

thelad

Local time
Just a post to say thanks for all your help - I've been fiddling around with the values to put them into the database and should get to a conclusion soon.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom