Coding a button special function (1 Viewer)

newbie4access

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:07
Good Day,

I have created inventory databases for both my job and personal use. I do not understand coding. I either need a good hand-holding with simple, detailed instructions or I need to hire a code person.

ASSISTANCE NEEDED for TASK:
a button in my form that can be coded to ... When clicked ...

___ open a browse window of hard drives,
___ allow user to choose any single image for selection,
___ copy & paste selected image's location to a table field.

NOTE: Table field will be used to connect to image place holder on form with control source to make the image seen.

I am willing to follow implicit detailed instructions, but please know that I am still learning and may have questions.

If this is too much to ask, I understand. Please point me in the right direction to hire a reputable code person.

Thank you.
PS This is my first time asking for assistance here - I hope I did it right.

newbie4access

Registered User.
Local time
This is very interesting, jdraw, thank you. Gives me cause for thought before proceeding. I may change my concept. Thank you for the links. I will need to post more before I can view the db on this forum though.

PS - love your avatar!!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:07
So you have it working based on some of your jpgs. -- Good stuff.

Did you work with the database from the link?

newbie4access

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, Thank you, I was playing with it last night.
re: "There is a sample database at this site" :)

I don't think I have enough posts yet to see the other link, but I am going to look at that today as well. I am going to continue to play with the docman db today while I am more focused and awake. I hope I can figure this out.

Yes, getting the images on the form was a breeze (that's been over a year ago). Changing how I enter the data is my current challenge (especially not knowing code yet). With many thousands of records, the constant searching (switching back & forth between explorer and access), the multiple copy & pastes of file location & then the image name, additional typing the image suffix is taking forever and a day.

I am going to attempt to understand the code for the docman's button (select file path), but I need it to do something else. I don't want a continuous form, I don't want to see the image link on the form, but obviously do need it recorded to the table, otherwise the image won't show up on the form.

Don't be surprised if I'm back with questions :)

I think it's fine for a few items, but the magic easy button would be more efficient for tons of records. Did you try my DB? What did you think?

Thank you

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I did not load your images onto my system, so did not try your database. I did look at your jpgs and saw that you have an image on your form.

If you have a series (group) of images, you may be able to automate loading them --HOWEVER -- when you have a description(s) about an individual image --automation may not be possible.

I have seen image database -- I'm thinking of one for a Tourism application -- where each image had/could have several attributes, such as:

-season
-time of day
-landscape/seascape
-city/rural
-people yes/no
- yada, yada

All these attributes for thousands of images made finding specific images quite easy/quick, but set up was slow - but thorough.

newbie4access

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I see this is much more complicated than anticipated. :banghead:

I was able to get to the other database you sent; thank you. :)

I opened it, the open file sample form came up.

I hit the add button.

It opened up the area to browse for images (awesome)

Selected my image, hit open.

It took me back to original form with no data stored in the table or any image showing.

I seem to be missing something or I am doing something wrong - maybe I should ask questions on the thread with that db.

Thank you so much

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm just looking at the original database.
It seems to store the file path and file in the bimDocsMgr table
see jpg attached.

You can add the description of the image (again there is an attached jpg)

When you click on view Image, it displays the Image (another attached jpg)

The interesting things about this database:

- no image control
- no hyperlink to filesystem
- minimal interface with user (in my view)
- uses Windows APIs and
- uses ShellExecute to open the file by default program for filetype

Good luck.

Attachments

• SaveImageandPathInbimDocsMgr.jpg
    SaveImageandPathInbimDocsMgr.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 119
  • AddDescriptionToImage.jpg
    AddDescriptionToImage.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 139
  • PictureOfFlower.jpg
    PictureOfFlower.jpg