Update (class) class data (1 Viewer)

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
Today, 23:49
I have returned to a School Management Database I started over 15 years ago. Due to working in a number of countries in Africa in areas without electricity, I gave up on it. Now during my retirement I would like to return to this project.

The problem I was having was updating a specific class at the end of the academic year. In most schools I have worked in, there are approximately 25 classes, with names such as 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, Then 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, up to 6A, which is the British "A" level, equivalent to the American grade 12.

Here is my problem. At the end of each year, the 6th formers leave for either university of the world of work. I now need to update the 5th year class to the 6th year classes; the 4th year classes to the 5th year classes; the 3rd year classes to the 4th year classes; the 2nd year classes to the 3rd year classes; the 2nd year classes to the 3rd year classes; the 1st year classes to the 2nd year classes. This leave a vacant 1st year for the new students.

As this program will be used by non-computer literate teachers, I need a system where the teacher enters a first year class such as 1A and is able to update this class to 2A, etc., etc.
Terence Driscoll

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have a commercial application called School Data Analyser. At the end of each academic year, the program administrator runs an annual update routine which updates a large number of items similar to what you have described. The update procedure also contains various safeguards to ensure it can't be repeated until the following academic year.
There is a DEMO version if you wish to have a look at it

As regards your class data, you need to
a) delete or archive the leavers class details - Year 6
b) run update queries on all classes in Years 1-5 to increase the value of the first character by 1
So if the field is a text field called ClassID in a table called Classes you need something like
Code:
UPDATE Classes SET Classes.ClassID = (Left([ClassID],1)+"1") & Mid([ClassID],2);

Last edited:

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
Can I send you my application. It will go a long way in solving my problem.
Terence

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
May I send the School Management Database for you to get a much clearer picture of what I need? And please remember that this program is intended for a number of non-computer literate teachers who I hope will be come interested in Access for their own professional development. There is no VBA in my project. There are functions and expressions of course.
I will prepare a short PDF explaining what each of the menus do if you are willing to look at it. Also if you agree I will send you the Introduction to Access that I have prepared for teachers in Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania and Uganda.
Terence

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Terence
Did you see the PM I sent you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom