Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:54
To me the whole Royal Family thing in the UK seems (pardon me) really silly and ridiculous. An old lady with a crown that pretends to rule the country and in reality does nothing but keep the tabloids in business - and all this cost and nonsense drama that associates with it? What is this, the year 1600? I've never understood why Brits want or keep all this stuff to be honest with you. I know Brits love tabloids and its content, but it seems like a giant waste for no benefit.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:54

Attachments

• 1613752713519.png
    1613752713519.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:54
Regarding a discussion of the Queen's income source: I had already known about the Chancellory of the Exchequer some time ago. Turns out when I was doing my ancestry research that I verified I had a patrilineal ancestor who was a minor lord and who was affiliated with the British Treasury. This was about the time that Oliver Cromwell was reducing people's height with an axe. Strangest thing was that my family showed up in the Virginia colony at about the same time as the Exchequer's books didn't balance. Of course, nobody could prove anything. But the worst of it was that the dirty rotten scoundrels set up an estate in Virginia, but they never left me so much as a penny. Definitely NOT a nice way to treat your family.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Regarding a discussion of the Queen's income source: I had already known about the Chancellory of the Exchequer some time ago. Turns out when I was doing my ancestry research that I verified I had a patrilineal ancestor who was a minor lord and who was affiliated with the British Treasury. This was about the time that Oliver Cromwell was reducing people's height with an axe. Strangest thing was that my family showed up in the Virginia colony at about the same time as the Exchequer's books didn't balance. Of course, nobody could prove anything. But the worst of it was that the dirty rotten scoundrels set up an estate in Virginia, but they never left me so much as a penny. Definitely NOT a nice way to treat your family.
That's pretty fascinating. Maybe I should give Ancestry.com another chance. I've tried it twice, and had trouble understanding how it worked. Or else I understood it, and found it worthless. It just kept asking ME to input my family members, rather than "finding" them for me. What good is that? I think at the end of the day they might as well partner with Lexis Nexis (etc) who really seems to know who is connected to who. I found a.com just a container, making the user do all the work.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That's pretty fascinating. Maybe I should give Ancestry.com another chance. I've tried it twice, and had trouble understanding how it worked. Or else I understood it, and found it worthless. It just kept asking ME to input my family members, rather than "finding" them for me. What good is that? I think at the end of the day they might as well partner with Lexis Nexis (etc) who really seems to know who is connected to who. I found a.com just a container, making the user do all the work.

Ah, Isaac, but you must have been inputting LIVING relatives. As soon as you enter a dead relative's name and either date of birth or date of death, then wait just a smidge, you will start getting hints. For purposes of the Privacy Act, they do not automatically link you to anyone whom they think is still alive. Using Ancestry and the trick of "riding public trees" I have gone back to Essex, England for my patrilineal ancestors and to Gloucestershire, England for some of my mother's folks - to the early 1600s. I have taken my wife's ancestry back to Canada at the time of the "Cajun Diaspora" of the 1730s, and to a branch from the Canary Islands of Spain in the 1600s. That branch leads us to some folks who might be extremely distant cousins among the people we call the islenos, a settlement of Spanish heritage in Plaquemines Parish just outside of the New Orleans city limits to the east. (We live to the west of the city.)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 01:54
To me the whole Royal Family thing in the UK seems (pardon me) really silly and ridiculous. An old lady with a crown that pretends to rule the country and in reality does nothing but keep the tabloids in business - and all this cost and nonsense drama that associates with it? What is this, the year 1600? I've never understood why Brits want or keep all this stuff to be honest with you.
It's called culture. Something Americans no nothing about. Plus, the Royal Family generate a huge amount of tourist revenue, far more than their civil list income. Best of all, the highest revenue comes from American and Japanese tourists. Americans just love to see 'Bucking-ham Palace'.
BTW, the half breed Yank is not a Princess, she was grudgingly awarded the title Duchess, by the Queen. Also, the income bestowed on Harry has been severed since he stopped doing royal duties. Also, the royal house they used in London has been taken away from them. Even his brother Wills has stopped speaking to him since he took up with the goldigger Yank.
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Ah, Isaac, but you must have been inputting LIVING relatives. As soon as you enter a dead relative's name and either date of birth or date of death, then wait just a smidge, you will start getting hints. For purposes of the Privacy Act, they do not automatically link you to anyone whom they think is still alive. Using Ancestry and the trick of "riding public trees" I have gone back to Essex, England for my patrilineal ancestors and to Gloucestershire, England for some of my mother's folks - to the early 1600s. I have taken my wife's ancestry back to Canada at the time of the "Cajun Diaspora" of the 1730s, and to a branch from the Canary Islands of Spain in the 1600s. That branch leads us to some folks who might be extremely distant cousins among the people we call the islenos, a settlement of Spanish heritage in Plaquemines Parish just outside of the New Orleans city limits to the east. (We live to the west of the city.)
Thanks for the explanation, I am going to give it another go some time! It's truly fascinating how families change with the times

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hey Doc, if you pop over to Essex again, you must drop in for tea.
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Royal Duties. Oxymoron of the day :p

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:54
Careful guys. Although CE deserves it, let's not stoop to insulting the country he belongs to. A shame he does not give us the same consideration, but let's not lose our manners as well...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Careful guys. Although CE deserves it, let's not stoop to insulting the country he belongs to. A shame he does not give us the same consideration, but let's not lose our manners as well...
Actually, I don't mind, you are entitled to your opinions, they, like my opinions and comments, can be influenced by what we read in the press or see on telly.
I think American opinions of the U.K. can be quite funny.
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
But I wanted to find out what it was like to be a troll for a day!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hey Doc, if you pop over to Essex again, you must drop in for tea.
Col
If I ever do visit Essex (not again; for me it would be "first time") I would love to have tea with you. Either blended or varietal would work fine, though I must admit not being a fan of the "smokey" teas like Lapsang Souchon. I am a man of simple tastes. Orange or Black Pekoe would work just fine.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'll warn you I don't do semi skimmed milk, that's for girls or according to some people, it's a sign of homosexuality.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I might do honey or lemon in my tea, but I rarely use milk of any kind. And if it is a particularly pleasant varietal, I might take it "neat" as we say in the USA.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I might do honey or lemon in my tea, but I rarely use milk of any kind. And if it is a particularly pleasant varietal, I might take it "neat" as we say in the USA.
We don't have too much of that Nancy tea. We have our tea like we like our women, strong and dark. If you ask for honey or lemon in tea, good chance you'll get beaten up as a poofter.
Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom