2.5" SSD v Hard Disk (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:02
Hi all,
Not ever really thought about SSD's as they appeared to be way more expensive and speed was not that slow with the hard dislks that I decided I needed one.
However I want to upgrade my 1TB laptop drive to a 2TB, and in looking around for prices (been a while since I bought a drive) I find that a SSD is only £12 more than a hard diak.
Example. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=2tb+sa...719668&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_9m6x2j8fa6_e

My concern has always been how many read/writes you get before they go tits up. I have been lucky that I have only ever had one drive go bad on me, and I even managed to fix that by taking it apart and freeing the heads. Yes I know, I was lucky, but I had nothing to lose. :)

However I would like to hear from anyone who has had them for a while and any issues that may have occurred.

Thank you.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I've had a 500gb SSD in my laptop for 5 years, I've had no issues at all, and it's been used 5 days a week for work, and at weekends less often.
Two months ago I upgraded to a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB as I was running out of space.
Apparently, its got 1.5 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF)

The old drive is still in the machine as well and is still working fine.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I've had a 500gb SSD in my laptop for 5 years, I've had no issues at all, and it's been used 5 days a week for work, and at weekends less often.
Two months ago I upgraded to a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB as I was running out of space.
Apparently, its got 1.5 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF)

The old drive is still in the machine as well and is still working fine.
Thanks Minty

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:02
Paul,
I have had various SSDs for the last 6-8 years. I saw no moving parts, so decided to convert my older Dell Inspiron(2007) from HDD to a 500Gb Crucial SSD ~2014. Later I purchased a Lenovo with HDD. I had a disk error and had it replaced with 500GB Crucial SSD, while in Florida. I have had various Kingston, Sandisk and AData SSDs for backup and transferring data. Never had issues with SSD.
I watch Carey Holzman on Youtube(computer repair/builder) who has recommended Samsung and ADATA SSDs.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Paul,
I have had various SSDs for the last 6-8 years. I saw no moving parts, so decided to convert my older Dell Inspiron(2007) from HDD to a 500Gb Crucial SSD ~2014. Later I purchased a Lenovo with HDD. I had a disk error and had it replaced with 500GB Crucial SSD, while in Florida. I have had various Kingston, Sandisk and AData SSDs for backup and transferring data. Never had issues with SSD.
I watch Carey Holzman on Youtube(computer repair/builder) who has recommended Samsung and ADATA SSDs.
Thank you Jack

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:02
The only advice I would give is to find a way to make a GOOD backup. When my old HDD died in my Dell XPS-series machine, I replaced it with a relatively small (1 TB) SSD. It died within 12 days. Fortunately, the warranty was longer than that so the local tech who replaced it honored the warranty and replaced it free, no parts OR labor. Then I had to restore all my folders, but I had a decent backup from only a couple of days before the HDD died. According to the local tech, he said that in the last few years, I had the ONLY SSD to ever fail. I went out and bought a lottery ticket but that failed, too.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Doc, I would be cloning the current disk, and putting that away.
I have done this on a good few disks over the years, but not to an ssd.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I bought a Crucial 2.5" SSD and that comes with Acronis True Image for Crucial.
I have had ATI from version 7 to 11 and always thought it a good product.

This version is a load of crap. I is meant to increase partitions proportionally and does not.
Slow as hell and only works if you have a Crucial disk. Required enormouse amount of space just to install? I had 10GB free and it was still complaining insufficient space.

Made what should have been a simple clone a major pain in he backside. :(
My ATI 11 for some reason would not recognise my first disk, the disk I want to clone, which was my reason for having to insttall thei version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom