2 front ends and one table structure (1 Viewer)

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:07
i have recently asked about being able to use my table system online. i have just thought. what about creating a front end that works online. still have the front end on the desktop and the table system on the desktop but have both of them connecting to the one table system.

will this work?

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:07
depends what you mean by online (ie available via www or just networked) put the backend on a server/network share which is more likely to be backed up than your desktop, plus if you have the backend on your desktop, it will only be available when your PC in on, plus there's permissions to consider as most IT chaps will make your desktop accessible only by you and no one else!

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
i want client to be able to book appointments via our website. that would mean www. our pc is never off and hasnt been for around 3 years. it is permantly connected to internet so i think we have that part covered. i like the idea of sharepoint. reason being is that i know how to build forms in access but not too sure about php. is my suggestion possible with sharepoint or do i need to put my tables on servers and then program in html/php?

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
If you have a sharepoint server then thats the way to go, but I would refrain from ever just having the system on your desktop, unless your PC is backed up nightly, even then your creating a security hole into your PC

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
for back ups i use cubby. it is backed up nightly and auto saved in the cubby folder and then uploaded to the cloud. also if that fails the cubby folder is connected to 3 different pc and each download the file(syncing).
how good and expensive is sharepoint. i like the idea of having the tables online as we have 2 premises and it might be good to join the 2.

any advise on the steps i need to take to do this?

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
I dont think that its cheap. Plus you have to weigh up the other problems you might encounter if you go down that route, for example, to allow external access to a Share point server within your network would mean allowing http traffic through the firewall for example, meaning the firewall would need to be reconfigured to allow this.
In other words its not as straight forward as you might think.

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
i never thought it was straight forward but i did think this was the most straight forward way. not easy by any means no matter which way i turn.

if i set up a sharepoint site, had my tables in the cloud and kept the front end on my desktop would that work and if so coul i then add further forms to my front end and publish only certain ones on the web. im thinking that i can have no user permissions neccessary and have a log in form bit like you would on a normal website. the log in form would be for customers etc. we would use the main front end on the desktop and retrieve the info from the tables in the cloud.

does this sound like the right way to go?

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
you would need to have your tables on the share point server,as for log in etc, you could take care of that via Share point (permissions) and still have your Access FE on your desktop with whatever forms you wanted, you only need to publish certain forms on SP ie for booking!

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
sounds like its exactly what i need. ive been looking at sharepoint sites all day and i still havent got any idea how to set it up. do you have any experience of how to set it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom