2 General Access Questions (1 Viewer)

daveUK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:35
Hi Guys

I've got 2 general Access questions.

1. Can someone please explain the difference between DCount and DLookup. I've used both in a d'base I'm completing and as far as I can tell, they seem to do very similar things.

2. Is there a limit to how many workstations that can use one Access d'base at any one time? i.e. Can only 20 people input info on forms, run reports etc, before Access start grinding to a halt?

Thanks
Dave

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Yesterday, 21:35
#2. 225 concurrent users if I'm not mistaken. Some report performance degradation after 10-15. Just general info entry I can handle up to 30 with no ill affects. I imagine that queries, reports and such hurt performance most and would show the most affect with fewest users.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 02:35
daveUK said:
1. Can someone please explain the difference between DCount and DLookup. I've used both in a d'base I'm completing and as far as I can tell, they seem to do very similar things.

Similar things?

DCount returns a long integer for all values in a recordset that meet a specified criteria. The criteria is optional and the DCount would return the total number of records in the recordset.

DLookup returns the first value in a recordset that satisfies a specified criteria. The criteria is optional but would return the first value in the field the user looks up.

There's nothing similar about them, other than their construction.

The other domain aggregate functions are DSum, DMax, DMin, DAvg, DFirst, DLast, DVar, DVarP, DStDev, and DStDevP.

So, in summary, DCount returns a total, DLookup returns a value in a field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom