2025: The Dawn of a New Species, AGI (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:31
Some are predicting AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) is only 18 months away. Who knows what is being cooked up in the labs at OpenAI and other research labs around the world, including China.

If the China one goes rogue, it might accidentally turn us all into chopsticks as it tries to fulfill the goal of "More chopsticks" by its lab technicians bug test.

How far away do you think AGI is, and what changes will it make to our society? Dystopian or benevolent? How fast will it all happen?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:31
If the China one goes rogue, it might accidentally turn us all into chopsticks as it tries to fulfill the goal of "More chopsticks" by its lab technicians bug test.
Really brings me back to Seinfeld's joke about chopsticks and why the Chinesee still use them, being fully aware of the spoon.

If they're smart, their AI will turn us into a more usable utensil.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:31
I continue to think about the movie Colossus: The Forbin Project - where the A.I. takes over all USA missile control, links up to our opposition's A.I. (in this case, Russian rather than Chinese), and they decide that Colossus is the more powerful, more capable AI - so Guardian shuts down. When someone finally calls the A.I.'s bluff, we lose a midwestern city by nuclear holocaust. Colossus wasn't bluffing.

It's actually a trilogy by D.F. Jones and goes through a LOT of gyrations in the 2nd and 3rd installments.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I used to look at Terminator through the lens of pure fiction. But now I realise the creator of that masterpiece had vision beyond his years.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 14:01
Don't worry. 12 billion years of evolution cannot be destroyed in 3 years...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Saw that movie recently.

Don't worry. 12 billion years of evolution cannot be destroyed in 3 years...
It is because of 12 billion years of evolution we have created great leverage with which to destroy ourselves. Consider nukes and rogue AI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom