A Better way the DLookup? (1 Viewer)

Blackelise

aka Andrew
Local time
Today, 02:23
Hi again,

I have the following code:

PHP:
CustAddr1 = DLookup("[InvTo_Add1]", "tblCustAddress", "[InvTo_ID] =" & [EstOrd_CustName])
        CustAddr2 = DLookup("[InvTo_Add2]", "tblCustAddress", "[InvTo_ID] =" & [EstOrd_CustName])
        CustAddr3 = DLookup("[InvTo_Add3]", "tblCustAddress", "[InvTo_ID] =" & [EstOrd_CustName])
        CustAddr4 = DLookup("[InvTo_Add4]", "tblCustAddress", "[InvTo_ID] =" & [EstOrd_CustName])
        CustAddrPC = DLookup("[InvTo_PostCode]", "tblCustAddress", "[InvTo_ID] =" & [EstOrd_CustName])
        CustAddrEmail = DLookup("[InvTo_email]", "tblCustAddress", "[InvTo_ID] =" & [EstOrd_CustName])
        CustAddrTel = DLookup("[InvTo_Tel]", "tblCustAddress", "[InvTo_ID] =" & [EstOrd_CustName])
        PTerms = DLookup("[InvTo_PayTerms]", "tblCustAddress", "[InvTo_ID] =" & [EstOrd_CustName])

I think that it's very poor as there are repeated lookups not to mention the possible hit on system resourses.

I'm having to do this as I need to reference two different names and addresses on the one form so can't do it through the Form record Source...

It there a better/faster way of accessing this info from the table? I'm thinking of being able to read the record in and pick from it via code.

Thans in advance.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:23
I'd do this if the situation fits:

http://www.baldyweb.com/Autofill.htm

Otherwise I'd open a recordset using the same criteria; that would mean you only made 1 trip to the data instead of 8.

Blackelise

aka Andrew
Local time
Thanks pbaldy.

'Autofil' looks neat but it would only seem to work when the user selects something from a list. I will use this for user data entry on record creation. The issue that I see would be displaying the customer information as the user move through the records not only displaying info upon selection.

I had a quick look at recordset in the Access help, to me it's impenetrable...they seem to be reading each record for start to EOF and not selecting a specific record.

I would be grateful for some sample recordset coding to lookup a specific record based on a held value (EstOrd_CustName in my code above) to point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This type of thing:

Code:
  Dim strSQL                  As String
  Dim db                      As DAO.Database
  Dim rs                      As DAO.Recordset

Set db = CurrentDb()
  strSQL = "SELECT Odometer FROM CarRecords WHERE CarNum = " & Me.cboCarNum
  Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

That will return any records meeting the criteria, and no others.

Blackelise

aka Andrew
Local time
Thank you both.

@pbaldy I do seem to owe you an apology! When I implemented your autofil for use upon user selection when I moved back and forward the correct information was displayed much to my surprize! Access clearly reruns the combobox control source each time a record is displayed. one learns something everyday!

Well in this case two things; I do have a need to tidy up some other code where using recordset would seem to fit the bill.

Perfect thanks. Have a good weekend!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Happy to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom